main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Reality shows that are fake, semi fake, or complete real.

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Jan 16, 2013.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Name a reality show and tell us if you think its fake, semi fake( some scenarios made up) Or true.
    WCW, Semi fake the wrestling is real but the way the fall and all the dialogue is scripted. Plus outcomes of the match are scripted.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    WCW hasn't existed for over a decade.

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Do you really need two threads dedicated to reality tv?

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Evidently so.

Edit: all reality TV is semi - fake at least, and 90% of it is trash.

Edit2: Yet, for some reason I've turned on what is sure to be a trainwreck of an American Idol premiere.

5. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Almost all is fake.

The only ones I think that have any semblance of realism are the ones like Deadliest Catch.

The Bachelor/Bachelorette is so fake it hurts.

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I really liked watching Meerkat Manor when I was living in London.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The place where I work has hosted several casting calls to Maury-style TV shows. Yes guys: it's all fake.

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    How about Cake Boss? There seems to be less staged drama there than in most other reality TV shows.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I am familiar with Cake Boss mainly because Paul F. Tompkins does a riotously funny impression of him.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Ugh, I've heard him do that impression for entire episodes of Doug Loves Movies and I find it to be incredibly tiring. It gets old sooooo fast.

11. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Is Storage Wars fake?

[​IMG]

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    He did a half hour or so of it on an episode of Comedy Bang Bang. He ended up being an immortal that was older than the universe. "How long do I have to make cakes? Forever?" The next time he was on Doug Loves Movies, which is my favorite podcast by the way, Doug asked him about it and he said it was "noncanonical." I love comedy podcasts. I do kind of wish he wouldn't do it for a whole episode of DLM. For one thing, on the one I heard, he basically talked the whole time and Jackie Kashian, of The Dork Forest, another great podcast, got to say almost nothing.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  13. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    It's all fake. The "TV" part of the name "reality tv" should tell you all there is to know. Even stuff like "Deadliest Catch" and "Ice Road Truckers" must have some embellishment thrown in there just for the sake of making "good" tv.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    The On the Media podcast (why am I talking about podcasts so much in this thread?) had an episode on television a couple of weeks ago. They interviewed a guy who has worked on reality TV shows. They couldn't reveal his name or the name of any of the shows, due to his non-disclosure agreement, but he said that basically every reality tv show is fake. He said that there's generally a director crouching just out of frame. He said, they'll often say, "Okay, let's do that again, but this time make it look like a really hard decision" and stuff like that. He said that he had made a few documentary shorts when he went into the reality tv business and he brought that up as something that would be helpful in doing television documentaries; he said all the people in the room literally laughed at him, for thinking the shows were anywhere near documentaries.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    A friend of mine edits reality shows for a living, and he has similar things to say.

16. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Even Cupcake Wars was pretty fake. I watched the Star Wars episode, and then being at the party where we got to eat said cupcakes, the ones we ate looked NOTHING like the ones they had on the show.

17. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't think anyone cares whether reality shows are fake. It matters a little bit whether the hybrid reality-game shows like Top Chef or American Idol are faked. People definitely want to believe that these contests are real. I've believed for years that American Idol tries to rig results by manipulating the audio mixing and production values of numbers for contestants they decide they want to raise up or take down.

18. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    What is your thoughts on Pawn Stars? I want to believe most of that is real. Some of that started fake but I believe their reputation may actually pull real clients in with stuff to pawn. Plus the pickers show probably is real. Anything with animals may be real or most of the stories from the series. Amish Mafia is so fake it aint funny.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    George Carlin once said that there should be a reality show called No Survivors where everyone dies horribly in the end.

20. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    There was an AMA with a guy who went on Jerry Springer who said that when he applied he pitched the producers a fake story and they completely changed it before he actually went on the show.

Also, I honestly think the finale of the Hills is one of the greatest finale scenes of a TV show of all time. Like, Sopranos and Newhart level:

21. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Wait is that really how the show ended? I stopped watching after Lauren left.

22. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Yup, that's the last scene of the last episode.

23. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Haha that is awesome then! I guess by then they knew Lauren was writing her books and would out them anyways so might as well completely embrace it and do something like that.

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

24. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    I'm not a fan of smosh..but

25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    They're totally fake. That doesn't stop me from watching. Especially if it's on Food Network.