main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Realization on the end of ROTS (yeah, spoiler here)

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by skirge5, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skirge5

skirge5 Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2005
    OK, so at the end of ROTS, Yoda talks to Obi-wan about the whole Qui-gon has found a way to live in the Force after he died. This was left totaly up in the air, which is weird. Though if i read what i saw yesterday right, there is a slight mention of it before hand. Watch AOTC. Now i think this is at the park right after Anakin tells Padme about killing the sand people, but i may have it wrong, since we were watching this at work and i was in and out. If you have the subtitles off, all you hear is someone screaming "No, Anakin!". We had the subtitles on for once, and I am fairly sure it said Qui-gon's voice. So if someone wants to check that for me that would be cool, but hopefully this shows that Lucas didnt just throw in that as an afterthought.

2. Qui-Gon-Matt

Qui-Gon-Matt Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2005
    Yeah that is on AOTC, it's when Anakin is killing the Tuskens. I saw it with subtitles and it said the same thing. I still have no idea why I was watching it with subtitles on.

3. karenec1

karenec1 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    I noticed that too in AOTC. I thought it was odd that Qui-gon's voice would be in the movie, but didn't give much though to it. Very interesting...

4. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Did anyone notice the Tuskin Raider screams in ROTS? It is in the part when Palpatine was talking to Anakin about the loss of his mother.

5. karenec1

May 16, 2005
    Really? Hmmm. I guess I need to go see it again, darn.

6. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    yeah, Jess, I heard the Tuskens during that scene too.

7. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Yeah, Qui-Gon yells No to Anakin as he begins slaughtering the Sandpeople.

In the AOTC novelization, the fact the Yoda hears this disturbs him as it was previously believed that once a Jedi dies, they become one with the Force and that he needs to meditate on this new development.

And yeah, you can hear the Tusken howl while Palpatine reminds Anakin about that incident aboard the Invisible Hand...

8. cyndilt76

cyndilt76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    yeah i noticed that to, i guess they were "flashing back" with sound design-- i liked it, thought it was cool, to re-inforce the pain, of the decision-- again it just illustrates his passion and internal conflict of what is right and wrong.

as for qui-gon-- i always thought that was a nice touch-- qui-gon saying "anakin no" because he was so invested in the boy and the convinced of the profecy, i just figured once he was taken down, he was part of the force and could feel anakin's pain/anger and was trying to stop him from acting on it.
    i guess i didn't realize that that doesn't usually happen-- i assumed that's what happened to jedi, because of obi-wan in a new hope and all. i hadn't thought that qui-gon was the first to do it. but now it all makes sense.

another illustration of how sound design is so very important in film . tiny things in sound can give hints to huge concepts in the film.
    god i just love it!

9. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    very cindy... sound is very important. I caught that both times - the tusken and qui-gon and it made the scenes much more emotional for me.

But with him being the first it does make A LOT more sense why he did not fade away when he was killed as Yoda and Obi-Wan did... now here is a question, was Obi-Wan truly killed by Vader or did he become one with the force before the acutal strike?

10. karenec1

May 16, 2005
    That's my question too. My thoughts are for Yoda and Obi-Wan were ready and became one with the force. To me it seemed that when Obi-Wan looked over and saw Luke he realized he could help Luke more as a "spiritual" advisor, he pulled his saber up and Vader struck him. Now did that kill him or was it impecable timing??

I always wondered why Qui-Gon and Vader were burned and didn't disappear. Was it because it wasn't their "time" and they hadn't made peace with their fate and become one with the force? Maybe Qui-Gon wasn't ready to become one with the force and learned to communicate with the living? Was he in denial that he was killed?

Interesting nuggets to chew on for sure.

11. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Here's my take on it.

Qui-Gon was still in the act of learning how to keep his mental self whole when he bit it. He maintained enough sense of self after he died, that he was able to continue learning and practicing how to communicate with the living. Having Yoda - uber-Jedi still alive helped - it gave Qui-Gon someone to commune with.

Obi-Wan was taught by Yoda to communicate with Qui-Gon sometime between RotS and ANH. The only way you could become one with the Force was after you die, and after you die, you would be able to keep yourself around in glowie form through the power of the Force. Obi-Wan learned to let go of all that he was attached to - life in this case - to be able to become one with the Force, but he had to die in order to do it.

Same for Yoda. He had to die and let go of his physical self to become one with the Force and still maintain his mental/spiritual being.

Anakin. Well, Anakin died. Guess who was already dead that managed to help him? Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan. Yoda. And the fact that he may have learned how to do it while he was Vader running around the Galaxy. Only after having realized that his son would die without him and forgoing his obsession with himself and focus on others (in this case Luke) did he attain the necessary qualities for a Jedi to maintain their "self" after dieing - compassion and selflessness (or whatever it describes in the novel. I know compassion is one of them...).

12. karenec1

May 16, 2005
    glowie form? That is too funny...

13. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    bob, do they explain in the book wether they get new cloths when they die?

and i guess i need to read the book some more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.