main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Really Good News, 3 Ohio women found ALIVE after 10 years!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, May 6, 2013.

1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    What the hell has that got to do with these women in Ohio? **** off, Lando.

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Actually if your concern is money (and I'm pretty sure it isn't), it costs more to sentence someone to death than it does to keep them in prison for life.

darthhelinith likes this.
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The point is not to create an equal amount of suffering in the perpetrator as the victim's experienced. That's an absurd task, is many times not even possible, and would have no point even if it was. Leave cosmic vengeance to religion. The purpose of the criminal justice system is to make minimize crime in society. In this case, that means putting these people in a position where they can't repeat something like this. If that can be done in part through rehabilitation, so they can become productive members of society that do good instead of all the harm they were doing, I should think you'd be glad about that. If not, they can simply be neutralized and stay in jail.

Obi-Zahn Kenobi and Valairy Scot like this.
  4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Internet Warrior Tough Guy ACTIVATE

JoinTheSchwarz and Debo like this.
  5. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Vivec, you had better duck, because he's about to throw a big heavy chair at you. And you are going to like it.

Lord Vivec and jp-30 like this.
  6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    MandoTheFakeCrusader

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    HandoTheBakedCrusader

DarthTunick likes this.
  8. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Psychics = "How desperate are you that you would call on such lost creatures?"

I hope Sylvia Browne gets hit by a train. Not like she'd ever see it coming.

GenAntilles likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Meh nevermind

10. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You'd be surprised how desperate people can get.

And while I'm kind of shocked and horrified (especially given that the mom died about a year after that Montel apperance), I don't wish Browne violence, as I don't think she made that prediction with any sort of malice or evil intent in mind.

11. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    You didn't get the joke and that makes me sad.

Especially since I explained the punchline...

GenAntilles and jp-30 like this.
  12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Call a news channel. If you actually really saw it, you tell everyone. You might not be able to hire a detective to go snooping for furthe proof but they can.

13. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Bullets are cheap. Buy 3 of them, then call it a good day.

14. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    *sigh*

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  15. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I don't think we are in any danger of this guy being the wrong guy. In fact I'm pretty sure this guy is 100%, without a doubt, guilty. I don't really see the need for a trial except to prove just how guilty he is and how badly he needs to be punished.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Frankly, I don't think there'll be a death penalty in any event at the moment, as there has been no human remains found at his home. Plus there's every possiblity he tries to plead out and we don't get a trail afterall.

17. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The point is that capital punishment is a woefully inept form of punishment. It highlights of a lack of civilisation, it's a punishment you can't take back and it's expensive. The last line gets to the crux of the matter which is that it's not justice, it's revenge.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I frankly think it's inhuman for a government to kill its wrongdoers. Being sentenced to live in a cold cell for the rest of your life, thinking over the horrific crimes that you have committed is most likely more effective.

19. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I would have made the same prediction. But I wouldn't have pretended I had special ethereal knowledge and I wouldn't charge money for that. Usually people kidnaped a certain length of time are dead.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yesterday, I drove past one of those psychic establishments which also happens to be the psychic's house. The sign out front said "Under New Management". It's her house... what, did she switch which netherworld demon she gets her info from...?

21. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Free Henna with every palm reading.

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    A. There's nothing to "investigate." Breaking and entering is a crime, detective or no.

B. "Hey news station, you won't believe this story I have for you. One of my neighbors was naked in the backyard and then the police came and it turned out everything was okay.

. . ."

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    There was no confirmation at that point, and very little info generally. Who knows if they weren'T letting friends get in on the action.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If I saw such a thing taking place I'd take a picture of it even if I had to break and enter to get it then take it to the authorities and not one single charge would be brought against me.

And I love how you not only misquote the actual happening but think that a news channel would blow it off. 3 girls, walked around on leashes. Even if that was just their group fetish and everything was ok they still can't do that for anyone to see. You are just wrong all the way around.

25. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    So let me understand this. It is your argument that if anyone sees anything suspicious in the neighborhood, they should subsequently ignore any judgment of professionals about what is going on, and not be satisfied until they break into the other house and and complete their own personal investigation? Are you seriously calling for such huge invasions of privacy and breaches of law as the basic common standard for decency?

I think you are more getting lost in white knight fantasies than contemplating how actual human beings would respond to a real world situation.

Ender_Sai likes this.