main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Really stupid rule question: Exactly when does a game end?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: TCG' started by Loyal-Guard, Apr 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyal-Guard

Loyal-Guard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    Hi guys. Glad to see the TCG got it's own board. Moving on up, i guess.

Well I've been playing the game for about half a year now, and during a recent game I realized a crucial rule may be eluding me. So please stand by while I recount the situation.

My friend and I were playing. I was the Dark side, my opponent the light. If i remember right, the situation was thus; I had units in the space arena, she did not. She had units in the character arena, I did not. So the game basically came down to the ground arena where we each had one unit in play. During my build step i built "RUN THE GAUNTLET" which does 4 dice damage to a unit in the ground arena when the battle phase starts. On her build phase she built the same card. When the battle phase started, i rolled for my RTG card first (i assumed that in cases like this, the dark side resolves their effects and stuff first). the attack was sucessful and her ground unit was eliminated, giving me control of two out of three arenas. The way we had been playing, I assumed that victory occured at the instant that someone had control of two arenas. But she asked if she could still roll for her RTG card, to at least attempt a tie. This got us both thinking, when does the game actually end? Is it an instant victory, or does the game continue through all remaning arenas until it's over. If the latter is the case, would the she get the chance to roll for her RTG even though she had no way of winning the game at that point. And if she does, and my unit was wiped out, is it possible for the game to end in a tie?

Im really worried ive been playing the game completly wrong for all this time. Id appreaciate any help you guys could give.

as always, i apologize for any spelling or grammatical errors. (its very late as im typing this)

thanks a lot
    loyal-guard, over and out.

2. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I believe once you played run the gauntlet you had won the game. I think that is the point in having the dark side be the aggressor is that they will go in faster adn take care of things. Heh if you are right then I have been playing wrong too.

3. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    You've been playing it wrong all this time. ;)

Check your rule book under "End of Turn". That's when you check to see if anyone has control over 2 arenas, not before.

4. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    Just to expound on Artie-Deco's post, the game ends when, at the end of turn, one player controls 2 or more arenas. Control meaning they have units in that arena their opponent does not.

If, at the end of turn both players each control only one arena, those being different arenas, OR only one player controls one arena and the other has no units in battle OR neither player has any units in battle, the game still isn't over.

The only way I see a game coming to a draw is if you both exhaust your cards and you each control one separate arena.

5. Loyal-Guard

Loyal-Guard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    ohh....duh. see, THIS is why I never played ADVANCED D&D. hee hee. Im kidding, i never played it at all. or did i?

But is what Jedi-Natalie said still kind of true in that my RTG would have taken effect first, than hers (not Jedi-Natalie's, my opponents)? If they were both effective (eliminating both our ground units), than the game would have continued because neither of us had control of two arenas, since the point of winning the game isint to force the other player out of two arenas, but to gain control of the them instead?

6. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Well thats interesting. Deffinately have to keep an eye out for that. I always played where you won if you elimated your opponents 2 arenas. Dosen't happen to often but I remember a couple of times where we could have played to the next arena then.

7. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    >> I always played where you won if you elimated your opponents 2 arenas.

Nope. It is not enough to say that your opponent has been eliminated from two arenas. You have to control two arenas, which means you have units there and your opponent does not. And to reiterate, you don't check this until the end of the turn, after the character battle phase is over.

>> But is what Jedi-Natalie said still kind of true in that my RTG would have taken effect first, than hers (not Jedi-Natalie's, my opponents)?

Yes, since you were dark, your RTG would have taken effect first.

>> If they were both effective (eliminating both our ground units), than the game would have continued because neither of us had control of two arenas, since the point of winning the game isint to force the other player out of two arenas, but to gain control of the them instead?

Yes, that's right.

8. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I just wanted to chime in real quick and say that if you and your opponant each controled 1 arena (say Space and ground) and had no Characters out... then you'd both be in a mad rush to get Characters out, because if you only get 3 build points, the person who has a hand full of great Jedi would lose to the guy who has a Watto.

9. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Touche', that also happens when they have a partially built unit and you roll 1 for Build points and they can finish building and you cannot. It has happened more than once to me :(

In addition to the scenario you played, I've also seen where my neither of us are in Space, My opponent controls Ground after the Ground Battle step, and then in the middle of the turn and when we go to character we both lose in the arena (due to some effect like me playing Brutal Assault for instance and killing his guy in a suicide run) and then we just go another turn because no one controls 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.