main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Really?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth Doop, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Can someone tell the mods over in TFA (spoilers) to tone it down a bit?

I made a thread discussing the possibility of a certain characters redemption, but I get redirected to the existing thread about that character and my thread locked.

Those threads bounce all over the place and have 0 focus, often dissolving into flame wars or offtopic discussion and such. I wanted to discuss a certain aspect of the character which I feel has a lot to be discussed and can use its own thread.

Containing everything to a single thread about characters is pretty stupid and leaves for less interesting discussion.

PHIERY likes this.
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    There's nothing for us to tone down, thanks.

Anyway, if you try discussing that topic in that character's thread, I think you'll find that people would be quite willing to discuss it there. If we don't manage the threads some, we end up with a ton of really specific and/or redundant threads, and the forum gets clogged up.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes, really. If you think your thread does not contradict 7SA's general policy regarding redundant threads, then feel free to contact the locking staff member and explain why your thread deserves an exception. That's a large forum with specific organizational concerns, so some "megathreads" are necessary, and by virtue of posting you're agreeing to the Rules and FAQs for that forum which rather specifically outline that redundancies will result in locks.

4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I prefer the way things were in ROTS 3SA days to be honest,

sure you there were redundant threads, but it was easier to find what you were looking for, instead of reading pages and pages of off-topic posts.

Just my two-cents though.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  5. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I thought about this some more and decided to merge that new thread with the existing thread, instead of just locking it. Hopefully that will get some of that discussion going.

6. Keycube

Keycube Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2009
    Likewise, it seems if you get your thread locked and are told that there are "many" threads already in existence that cover said topic, perhaps a link to one of them would be helpful.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    We usually do provide links, but in many cases simply scanning the existing threads on the first two or three pages will reveal those threads anyway.