main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Realpolitik [Kavar, Talia]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Elena, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elena

Elena Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    Yeah. Another challenge from my ff.net requestafic forum. *sighs*

Wordcount: 509 words on Kissinger's foreign policy.

EDIT: Have to keep reminding myself - Republic era. Not NR era...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Kavar was twenty years old when Exar Kun was defeated, and he never forgot that time. He remembers the sight of Jedi streaming out of the Temple to fight, and he remembers the scent of burnt flesh and his Master?s cauterized stump of an arm. Mostly, though, he remembers the sight of Ulic Qel-Droma wreathed in lightning, stalking the streets of Iziz with an army of Sith behind him.

And now, he is here again. It hasn?t changed much in forty-five years ? there are Beastrider layabouts in the street and now all the signs are subtitled in Basic, but other than that, it?s still the same. There are still armed soldiers in the streets, still make-shift preachers telling the masses what they want to hear, and there is still civil war.

Kavar thinks the only decent part of Onderon is Talia, and that isn?t saying much.

Queen of Onderon, the daughter of a rebellious Naddist and a Beastrider King, she is young, tempestuous, and cruel. She?s also the best chance to keep Onderon in the Republic, and Kavar needs her. He hates that he needs her, but he does, so he works with what he has, tries to temper her natural viciousness with compassion, tries to temper her impatience with wisdom, and she seems to listen to him.

He doesn?t know why, of course. She certainly doesn?t listen to him because he is a Jedi. He has a sinking suspicion she listens to him because here on the Rim he is remembered principally as a tactician, and Izizians respect soldiers, respect those who serve. Whatever the reason, this woman respects him, listens to him because she thinks he has important information to impart.

If he didn?t, he doubts she would have sheltered him. Her situation is precarious enough that whispers of a Jedi under her roof could be what finally topple her.

Kavar is not stupid. He?s sixty-five and Talia is forty, but they both look twenty years younger, and probably for the same reason. It wasn?t so long ago that Iziz was a Naddist outpost, and it?s only been a spare fifty years since a Ruler of Onderon was a Sith adept. He senses no darkness in Talia, or at least, no darkness that is unusual to a tyrant. He knows that she wants to do the best thing by her people, and he knows that she thinks the best thing is dealing with the Republic, Jedi aside. That?s all he needs to know.

But he does not forget what Talia is, and he watches her all the time. They smile their false smiles at each other, and pretend to be friends, but Kavan knows that as soon as Vaklu is dead and the Sith Lord manipulating her planet is gone, he will have no place here. And that?s all right. That?s as it should be.

Talia is a vicious tyrant trying to gain economic control of her sector of the galaxy. Kavar is a representative of a failing government who needs her money. Sometimes, it?s as simple as that.

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    That was excellent. First paragraph really pulled me in and I have to say I felt disappointed it ended so soon.

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderful! =D= You never fail to amaze! :D

4. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    [ o_O :cool: Reply goes here...? [face_thinking] :p]

As insightful and stylish as I've come to expect from you...

- The Imperial Ewok

5. Elena

Elena Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    Healer Leona:

That was excellent. First paragraph really pulled me in and I have to say I felt disappointed it ended so soon.

*grins* Sorry, but once a 'fic wants to end, it's gonna end. Dragging it out just makes it clunky. I'm glad you liked it anyway, though.

VaderLVR4:

Wonderful! =D= You never fail to amaze! :D

*bows modestly* I do try...

Thrawn:

[Reply-to-reply goes here...I hope!]

As insightful and stylish as I've come to expect from you...

Sucking the romance out of everything is "insightful and stylish"? [face_mischief]

Elena

6. NILOC

NILOC Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2006
    =D= Bravo!

7. Delight

Delight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    This is wonderful writing! I love how this refreshing (and surprising!) view ties in so nicely with the events depicted in Kotor II. Even a Jedi Master needs to be a realist sometimes, eh?

Wonderful writing. Great work.

8. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    It can be!!

- The Imperial Ewok

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.