main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Reasons To Vote

Discussion in 'Archive: Raleigh, NC' started by Jedi_Natalie, Apr 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Natalie

Jedi_Natalie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I am an avid believer that everyones vote counts and I remember there being a list somewhere of where that one vote made a difference. Its very intersting, here is the list that I found:

Times when one vote made a difference.

In 1645, one vote gave Oliver Cromwell control of England.
    In 1649, one vote caused Charles I of England to be executed.
    In 1714, one vote placed King George I on England's throne and restored the monarchy.
    In 1800, one vote in the House of Representatives made Thomas Jefferson President of the U.S.
    In 1824, one vote in the House of Representatives made John Quincy Adams President of the U.S.
    In 1839, one vote elected Marcus Morton Governor of Massachusetts.
    In 1844, one vote cast by an Indiana farmer who died on the way home from the polls made David Kelso State Senator.
    In 1845, one vote brought Texas into the Union.
    In 1846, one vote in the U.S. Senate approved President Polk's Declaration of War against Mexico.
    In 1850, one vote brought California into the union.
    In 1859, one vote brought Oregon into the union.
    In 1867, one vote ratified the Alaska Purchase.
    In 1868, one vote saved President Andrew Johnson from impeachment.
    In 1875, one vote changed France from a monarchy to a republic.
    In 1876, one vote made Rutherford B. Hayes President of the U.S.
    In 1889, one vote brought Washington into the union.
    In 1890, one vote brought Idaho into the union.
    In 1916, one vote in each of California's precincts re-elected President Woodrow Wilson.
    In 1923, one vote gave Adolf Hitler leadership of the Nazi Party.
    In 1941, one vote saved selective service, just weeks before Pearl Harbor.
    In 1948, one vote in a contested election made Lyndon B. Johnson a U.S. Senator.
    In 1948, one vote per precinct in Ohio and California would have made Thomas E. Dewey President instead of incumbent Harry S Truman.
    In 1960, less than one vote per precinct made John F. Kennedy President of the U.S.
    In 1968, fewer than three votes per precinct made Richard Nixon President of the U.S.
    In 1977, one vote determined the mayor for Ann Arbor, Michigan.
    In 1984, one vote elected Maurice Nichols mayor of the City of Athens, Alabama.
    In 1993, one vote approved the largest tax increase in history.
    In 1996, one vote could have elected a member of the Limestone, Alabama, County Board of Education, District Number 5. (This election was decided by a toss of a coin.)
    In 1998, a coin toss determined the mayor of Duluth, Minnesota.

Wouldn't you hate it if an election was narrowly decided and the person whom you would have preferred to win didn't win because he or she didn't get your vote?

2. Psycho_Jedi

Psycho_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 26, 2002
    Heck yeah. Everyone should vote, it isn't really that hard and your vote does count believe it or not.

3. TallonKaardgamer

TallonKaardgamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    So get out an VOTE TODAY people!!!! Nuff said.

4. dinoX

dinoX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2002
    i'll definitly be out to vote next year. gw all the way. :D

5. Starburstlvr

Starburstlvr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
    After all that our ancestors have fought for, no matter what race you are in this country - some part of your family fought for their right to vote. How dare we call ourselves Americans and not exercise the freedom we say we hold dear. I find it tragic and very sad that only 40% or so of Americans turn out and vote. Shame on us. So, get out and vote, but also remember to encourage/pressure your friends to cast their vote as well. Also, encourage them to be educated about the nominees. Know where they stand on issues, etc.

6. Psycho_Jedi

Psycho_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 26, 2002
    Yeah, I think it's sad that we only have about 40% voter turnout when countries like Spain and Turkey get at least 80%. People don't vote and then they complain and whine about who is in office......it's just sad and very pitiful. And it's not like voting is some big thing that takes a whole day to do. It's not hard and it's one freedom that we still have. During the next election.........VOTE!!!!!!

Oh yeah, I showed that list to one of my friends who wouldn't vote in NC States elections because he said that his one vote wouldn't matter. Let's just say he was surprised and he voted. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.