Reasons why TPM was better than ROTJ

Discussion in 'The Phantom Menace' started by Blur, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonic_Pumpkins Jedi Knight

star 2
    I doubt that any of you will agree with the point I am about to make. But, I'll say it anyway. Personally, I feel that TPM is better than RotJ. And, this is not b/c Jedi sucks...it is because TPM succeeds so well in many categories. Firstly, RotJ biggest problem is the simple fact that ESB was so freakin' good. If ESB didn't end on a cliffhanger, I doubt it would be as good as it was. That being said, RotJ is forced to take a massive tangent from the main storyline in order to save Han Solo. Now, I'm not saying that the Jabba scenes suck (even though they are rather sub-par with the rest of the flick,IMO). What I am saying is that RotJ is the final film in the series and the fact that it takes a 45 minute tangent right in the beginning really makes the pacing of the movie suffer. I would have been content with the Jabba scenes in any other Star Wars film...but they have no place in the very last film.

Secondly, the dialogue really isn't that bad. But the acting is. It is probably the most consistently poor acting in the whole series. AotC has some of the best and some of the worst (not very consistent). Having poor acting performances definitely pulls you out of the moment.

Lastly, I love Ewoks. They're cute, cuddly, brave, and everything else that adorable little movie creatures should be. Regardless, I really cannot suspend belief so far as to believe that these cute little midget-bears could possibly defeat legions of the Emperor's best men with sticks and rocks....THEY HAVE ARMOR!

So, those were some of my biggest RotJ gripes. Those being said, on to TPM. I have two problems with TPM. First, poop/fart jokes have absolutely NO place in Star Wars films...please make them go away, for the love of all things holy!! Second, the ridiculously stupid announcer at the podrace is probably the worst concoction that George Lucas ever came up with. I can see what's going on...I don't need some idiot mimicking Indy500 TV personalities in order to understand the gist of a damn race. Things go fast, things go faster, things crash, things blow up, thing do other things I can blatantly see on the screen for myself.

Now, people can call the Tatooine sequences in TPM a tangent also. But, I would call it a very well integrated tangent. The plot and political premises in TPM are very, very thick. You hardly have any time to get a feel for the characters until the plot takes a much needed break in order to discover Anakin on Tatooine. The character that most benefits from these scenes is Qui-Gon. The chemistry between Qui-Gon and Watto is unmatched in the Star Wars series, in its own way. The Coruscant sequences in TPM is not only very interesting, it also probably has the best cinematography of the whole series. I've always thought the course of events and natural progression of daylight have been cleverly pieced together in the Coruscant scens in TPM. As the outlook gets more bleak, night falls over the landscape. TPM is probably the most beautiful installment in the SW series. I have mixed feeling about the final battle scenes (especially the gungan battle). But, I love the subtlety of TPM and the clever way it was written. The fact that Star Wars all began with a simple trade dispute was one of the more ingenius ideas GL ever had.
  2. ezekiel22x Chosen One

star 5
    I liked the both the same, as they both had parts that were just terrific. Duel of the Fates was fast-paced lightsaber dueling at its best, and the attack on the Death Star in ROTJ is in my opinion the greatest space battle in the history of film.
  3. Blur Force Ghost

star 4

Quote:

"I liked the both the same, as they both had parts that were just terrific. Duel of the Fates was fast-paced lightsaber dueling at its best, and the attack on the Death Star in ROTJ is in my opinion the greatest space battle in the history of film."

I agree with both of the above statements. If I could just see ROTJ up to the end of the Skiff battle, and then cut to the entire Death Star battle up to and including the destruction of the Death Star (without cutting to Luke's fight with Vader and the atrocious Ewok ground battle) that would be enough - the rest of the movie is poor....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.