main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebel Alliance

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Jun 21, 2015.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Rebel Alliance is what I'm looking forward to most about season 3.

2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    They won't.

3. Brandon G

Brandon G Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2015
    You don't know that! Who knows they might reconsider that!

4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    TFU franchise is dead.

Agreed.

Time to build the foundation for ANH.

5. General grievance

General grievance Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2016
    I hope we get to see the ghost crew going to different planets recruiting people for the alliance.

6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I doubt that will happen.

7. General grievance

General grievance Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2016
    Why not it seems like a good idea? or how about having a faction of mandalorians join the rebels. Im sure sabine could persuade some of the populace.

8. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    They won't.

9. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Its time for some Rebellion episodes.

10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

We know from Blood Sisters that there's a bounty on Sabine's head. Which means there must be bounties on all the others as well. Going to civilized worlds would be very difficult, as the Ghost Crew are all wanted criminals.

11. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    jabberwalkie wrote

I really don't think you need General Reiken or the guy who greeted Leia after escaping the Death Star who I can't remember the name of.

That's what we get just because EU "creator" West end Games totally overlooked his canonical importance.

That guy would be General Willard, "commander of the Rebel Forces" according to the ANH screenplay (and the first ESB draft by Leigh Brackett). ;)

12. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I don't remember this post so it must have been some time ago.

The fact that I can't remember who that was or what he did means that to the over arching story he isn't important in the grand scheme of things. ;)

Both Death Stars still went boom, no?

Someone that high up in the structure of the Rebel Alliance military is so far removed from everything else that happens in the OT at the ground level that knowing who he is isn't that important. I mean we know that Ackbar was around during ANH, but wasn't present and knowing who he was and what he did wasn't important until ROTJ, since he led the attack.

Regardless of all this, I'm not sure what you point is...?

13. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    My point was that the commander of the Rebel Forces is usually just reflected as another "guy" because he's not acknowledged by EU conjecture.

Since this thread is about the Rebel Alliance I felt he deserved proper exposure.

14. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    And again, he's so far removed from what is going on that it isn't important. That's why no one knows who he is.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Aw I like Willard. :(

Like, literally, one story about him missed out on being canon by mere months, as he finally appeared in a novel shortly before the Great Decanonization.

Though really, with the exception of Ackbar and Mon Mothma, the EU underutilized all the Rebel leaders from the films. Dodonna didn't appear after ANH? He was captured, obviously. Willard? Who cares, he barely spoke in ANH, we don't know what he did, lol. Reeikan? Wasn't in ROTJ, must not have been important after Hoth. Don't even get me started on Bail.

Things are looking a little better in the nu-canon depiction of the Rebellion. Dodonna's still large and in charge along with Mon and Ackbar in the main SW comic; Reeikan played a decent supporting role in Lost Stars; Bail has shown up a few times in Rebels, either in person or by proxy through Leia; and even Mon has appeared a ton more than she did in Legends.

As for Willard? Time will tell. If Rebels starts edging closer to the structured Rebellion we know from the movies, his chances of appearing go up a bit. There's already speculation that the bearded guy behind Mothma in the RO trailer is Dodonna, so it's possible Willard is one of the other guys present.

16. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Question: do you think the Dantooine base will feature soon? I thought it would've been in the show by now. I was looking fwd to it. In ANH it was said to have been abandoned "for some time". That should put it in use somewhere around now in Rebels.

whostheBossk likes this.
  17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Generals outrank Commanders.

18. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    darklordoftech

I think you are confusing a rank description with the function. Since he is by rank "general" according to both screenplay and screen credits, the inevitable conclusion is that he then must be "commander-in-chief" of the Rebel Forces.
    His second appearance in the early ESB draft by Leigh Brackett as the "commander of the Rebel Forces" emphasizes his otherwise overlooked important function.

Same applies for General Taggi who is adresses as "commander" by Admiral Motti during the Death Star conference. Since he can't hold simultaneously the rank of general and commander, the same conclusion applies for him as for Willard, i.e. he is the commander[-in-chief] of the Imperial Starfleet.

Todd the Jedi

According to the almost final and extended ESB screenplay from October 1978, General Rieekan was killed (apparently from falling debris) prior to the evacuation of the Rebel base on Hoth:

178. COMMAND CENTER - REBEL BASE

The command center is a shambles. The continual explosions

outside have caused a massive cave-in. A lone controller works at

the remaining computer board, while Leia, Threepio and another

controller attempt to move a cake of ice off of General Rieekan.

Finally, the ice tumbles to one side and Leia goes to the

General, but it's too late. Threepio inspects the General's

pulse.

THREEPIO

I'm afraid he's no longer functioning.

Leia is truly sorrowful. She holds the General's hand a moment

and regards him reflectively.

CONTROLLER

(urgent)

The last transport is waiting.

Another explosion rocks the area.

THREEPIO

Beg your pardon, ma'am, but our possible avenues of exit are

being rapidly reduced.

Leia nods, stands, and speaks to the controller with renewed

authority.

LEIA

Tell the ship we're on our way, and signal the troops in the

field to retreat to their fighters.

whostheBossk likes this.
  19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

And Vader addresses Moff Jerjerrod as "Commander" - does that conclusion apply to him too?

I don't think it does. I'd say that, just as in the EU, "Commander" is a loosely applied term, and one cannot safely make those kind of assumptions.
    Newcanon trumps "almost final screenplay" stuff that does not actually appear in the movie.

Rieekan is alive post-Hoth in the newcanon book Lost Stars.

20. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    ROJ clearly portrays Moff Jerjerrod as the commander of the new Death Star, whatever his rank is or might be.

I would admit Commander Praji's case might be worth of debate. Is that really his rank or is he the commander of Vader's Devastator or else?

According to the illustrated research article I did in 1987 (and which West End Games used as the base to illustrate the ESB rank badges in their Imperial Sourcebook) his rank badge would comply with the rank of "commander", but essentially that's the only example where "commander" probably really indicated rank and not function.

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Were you one of the early West End Games contributers then?

Given that Tagge was promoted from General to Grand General in the Darth Vader comics - it seems to me a little implausible that, in the newcanon universe, he commanded the Starfleet as a mere General.

I preferred the EU approach of "Motti was mocking him" - we'll have to wait and see what approach the newcanon takes.

I can imagine a lower level soldier being mocked with remarks about "your army" - in this case it would be "the army you're in" not "the army you command".

22. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Iron_lord

That was my one and only contribution to West End Games because I complained after the release of the book that I received no acknowledgement whatsoever (instead a "Cathleen Hunter" that was probably the graphic artist who did the above WEG illustration).

They ignored the ANH rank badges (actually the ANH badges were on the left and all the ESB badges with corresponding ranks on the right side) and a few other details regarding the code cylinder distribution.

It seems to me a little implausible that, in the newcanon universe, he commanded the Starfleet as a mere general

But that's our bias, isn't it? In the article I made it clear, that apparently / obviously the Imperial Forces (never in the OT was there a mentioning of "army" or "navy" that's WEG conjecture) are a mix of naval and army ranks.

As you can see in the above illustration, WEG adopted this suggestion in the graphic, but then didn't follow it consequently in their texts.

I can imagine a lower level soldier being mocked with remarks about "your army" - in this case it would be "the army you're in" not "the army you command"

That's a valid alternate interpretation, but any way you turn it you still have a "general" being an officer of the Imperial Starfleet. ;)

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the real world, the American Navy has Colonels (fighter pilots) - so, why can't a Starfleet have Generals? General Lando Calrissian leads a group of starfighter pilots in an attack on the Death Star, after all.

24. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

I should add that this "new" Rebels character really made my day, finally Rebels acknowledges the original ANH rank badges, apparently limited to the Imperial Guard Corps but better than not at all. =D=

whostheBossk likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The character's name and rank is Admiral Brom Titus.

What is the Imperial Guard Corps? Never seen anything about it in the Databank.