main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rebel Choice (Pooja Naberrie, ANH, Dissolving the Senate) COMPLETE!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AngelQueen, Aug 4, 2005.

1. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    Obischick: Ooooh, goodie! Postie! Okay, I'll stop dancing. It's not too pretty anyhow!

*giggles* :D No, go right ahead! Keep on dancing! :)

Wow, that was... very interesting to read. So much emotion in such a short couple of scenes. Loved how you handled the transition and how you made the destruction and it's aftermath that much more real. I think the EU authors always brushed over that quite a bit, using the excuse that barely anyone was off Alderaan that cared about it, which is a huge mistake on their part. Anyways, my rant about them is not for the here or the now.

The whole dismissal of Alderaan was one of the beefs I had with the EU as well. It always seemed that the only one who ever seemed to miss Alderaan was Leia, who angsted over it in least one scene in very book/duology/trilogy/etc. That was one why I had Pooja end up as a friend/apprentice-type person to Bail and mentioned that people were searching for family members that could possibly have been on the planet, so as to really drive home just how devestating the destruction of Alderaan was.

I also appreciated Pooja's insomnia in this post. I don't know how I'd respond to something like that. Either my mind would be buzzing to much to think clearly, or all I'd want to do is be depressed and sleep. Obviously Pooja chose the former.

I don't know how I would react to such a horrible event. Something happening on that kind of scale, I don't think I could imagine my reaction. Nevertheless, I did my best with Pooja's reaction. I rather think Pooja imitated Padmé in this situation, burying herself in work and trying not to think too hard about it.

That is, until Pooja finally buckled beneath her grief. I imagine even Padmé would have lost it over such an occurance.

Also loved the inclusion of Yané, I definitely hope to see more of her as the story progresses. Would be interesting to see Yané meet with Leia and Luke. Especially Luke, since she at least knew of Anakin back in the day!

Yes, I was happy to include Yané in this as well. As for her meeting the twins... well, I will say this: the story is wrapping up. I only meant for this to deal with the dissolution of the Imperial Senate and the immediate consequences a.k.a. the events of ANH. There will be an epilogue, which I am currently attempting to work on, so who knows if Yané will pop up in there as well.

Oh, also appreciate that it wasn't Sabé. So many authors like to use her in that sort of role, and while it makes me happy that handmaidens are acknowledges, Sabé wasn't the only one around Padmé!

It was a real debate as to which handmaiden to use. As I said, my first instinct was to go with Sabé, but I hesitated and really thought about it. I didn't feel inspired to use Moteé or Ellé, and using Dormé didn't feel right either. So that narrowed it down to the Fab Five. Given what I knew and imagined about Rabé and Eirtaé, I couldn't see them in the role of an intelligence gather (spy). So that pretty much narrowed it down to either Saché or Yané. The latter one the coin toss. ;) :D

Very excited to see what happens next!

See you Thursday then! :D

YAY! Obi-Clone!

*stuffs it in closet* Better not let the boyfriend see this!

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] Your secret is safe with me! ;) ;)

AQ

2. Ani-maniac

Ani-maniac Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    I really enjoyed this post! [:D]

Poor Pooja. :( If she really knew the story of what happened to Padme then maybe she would think differently. Though I do agree, Padme should have thought more about her own safety, especially being pregnant.

Again amazing job! There was so much emotion in this post, and I greatly enjoyed it! [:D]

I can't wait for the next part!

Ani-maniac

3. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Ani-maniac: I really enjoyed this post!

*grins* I'm glad! :D

Poor Pooja. If she really knew the story of what happened to Padme then maybe she would think differently.

Perhaps she would have, although, I think Pooja had reached her breaking point with all that had happened and in her mind, it all began with her aunt's death. Who better to blame?

Though I do agree, Padme should have thought more about her own safety, especially being pregnant.

Got that right. She could see, even before Obi-Wan's visit, that he was going kind of crazy. Still, she put not only herself, but her babies as well, at risk. Not a good idea. :(

Again amazing job! There was so much emotion in this post, and I greatly enjoyed it!

I can't wait for the next part!

[face_blush] Thank you, hon! I'll see you on Thursday! :) [:D]

AQ

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Yay for catching up!

I'm loving the story, babe! Though I'm a bit confused as to how old Pooja is right now.

Stupid Palpy... makes me want to beat the old bat with his cane.

And BAIL!! :_|

So how long is it before Pooja finds out that Leia's alive??

Great job!! :D

5. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Mi: Yay for catching up!

Mi! *huggles* [:D]

I'm loving the story, babe! Though I'm a bit confused as to how old Pooja is right now.

I'm glad you're loving it, hon! :D As for Pooja's age... *checks her notes* She's about 26, 27 years old at this point.

Stupid Palpy... makes me want to beat the old bat with his cane.

*hands Mi his cane and leans back* ;) :D

And BAIL!!

So how long is it before Pooja finds out that Leia's alive??

Yes, I know! I didn't want to kill him, but the rules of canon are very strict in this case. *sob* As for when will Pooja discover that the last Organa is still alive... [face_whistling]

Great job!!

Thanks so much, Mi! *huggles agains* [:D]

AQ

6. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Can I just compliment your great job of building up tension? I just want to bash my head so that when I wake up I can read it all at once.

Looking forward to tomorrow's update!

7. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    kateydidnt: Can I just compliment your great job of building up tension? I just want to bash my head so that when I wake up I can read it all at once.

*blushes* Thank you! For an author, the tension stemming from Cliffé, as Obischick coined her, is half the fun, along with the building of tension from in between posts. ;) I'm a meanie, I know. :D

Looking forward to tomorrow's update!

Great! See you then! :D

And just to let you know, there will be a teeny-tiny little bonus with tomorrow's post. Nothing huge, just a little something that, in my idiocy, I forgot to do on the last post. 8-}

AQ

8. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Chapter Five, Part II

She returned to the Palace before dawn, so no one noticed her absence. Making her way to one of the lounges near her rooms, Pooja was relieved to see that someone had left a warm pot of caf on for those up earlier than the rest of the Palace's resident population.

After she poured herself a cup, Pooja carried it over to the large bay window. She stared out over the rooftops, watching the sun's rays spread through the stirring city.

Yané's words still rolled through her mind. Pooja knew she should take heed of them, but getting others to cooperate was another matter entirely. Moff Panaka immediately came to mind. His anger towards her aunt was as strong and real as hers had been, and if that wasn't enough, it was clear that Panaka extended that grudge upon her, given her relationship to her aunt and their perceived similarities. His judgment was not at his best at the moment.

"Milady?"

Pooja turned slowly from the view of Theed to find Meliaé standing at the lounge's entrance. "Yes?"

"We received a message this morning. The Queen rescheduled the full meeting of the Council and the Governors for this evening. She would like to see you in the throne room after you've had a chance to eat some breakfast."

Pooja nodded. They had yet to finish their discussion since they had heard of Alderaan's destruction. Madlyn most likely would want to finish that and have a solid base for a response to the Emperor's actions.

She glanced down at her cup of caf and took a sip. She made a face almost immediately and set it down. Borderline fermented. She'd bet a credit that Jack Forsye had made it.

Meliaé fell in step behind her as they made their way through the halls to Pooja's rooms. Niaé and Amarié were waiting for them, already having Pooja's green Senatorial gown laid out and waiting to be donned.

While she was dressing, a large tray arrived from the kitchens. Once she had her gown on, Pooja and the three handmaidens sat down to eat. It all smelled delicious, but when she looked at it, Pooja felt her appetite receding rapidly. She forced herself to eat a few bites, but soon found herself pushing her food around her plate.

Niaé was the first to take notice. "Milady," she said firmly, putting her utensil down. "You've hardly eaten anything since you visited your family. You must keep up your strength. Eat."

"You have a long day ahead," Amarié added from her place at the table next to Meliaé.

Pooja bit her lip, fighting a sudden wave of emotion, but nodded silently. She managed to eat most of what was on her plate before she finally declared victory and pushed the rest away. She then went through her basic toiletries and sat down at her dressing table.

Niaé applied her make-up and Amarié brushed her hair and put it up into a small gold headdress. Pooja eyed her appearance as they worked. At first glance, she appeared as she always did, healthy and fit. Only if she looked very closely did she see how pale she was, along with the dark circles around her eyes.

She sighed. She wondered if the madness that had engulfed her life would ever go away. Just a few days ago, her life had been so orderly and clear. Now, she was torn between confusion and the faint hope that Yané had shown her. Did she have the strength to pull the rest of Naboo's government onto the path they needed to be on?

"Milady? Are you ready?"

Pooja looked up to see Meliaé, Niaé, and Amarié standing around her, waiting. Slowly, she nodded. Yes," she said as she stood up. "Let's go."

The walk to the throne room was not long and Pooja kept her eyes straight ahead, not bothering to take in the familiar surroundings. When they arrived at the throne room, she nearly groaned in frustration when she saw not only the Queen, but Panaka as well.

Before Pooja could greet them while concealing her irritation at Panaka's presence, the Queen spoke.

"Pooja," she said quickly, her voice hard and thick with displeasure. "I think you should sit down. I've just been given a disturbing piece of information."

Eyeing Madlyn carefully, Pooja nodded and took her seat in the mostly-deserted Council area.
    "This morning, the Governor," she shot an icy look in the man's direction, "came to me with further information on this weapon believed to have been responsible for Alderaan's demise."

Pooja turned to the older man who, much to her surprise, was not looking at her, but somewhere over her shoulder. After a moment of tense silence, Panaka spoke.

"The weapon that destroyed Alderaan," he said simply, "is a space station built at the Emperor's behest."

She gaped at him, stunned into silence by a single sentence. Questions immediately began to race through her mind. Questions soon followed by accusations.

"How," she asked, her voice barely more than a strangled whisper. "How do you know this?"

"The plans to build the space station were put before the Regional Governors several years ago," he answered promptly. "Governor Tarkin was the one who pushed it at the request of the Emperor."

Pooja raised a skeptical eyebrow. "And you actually agreed to have a space station capable of blasting an entire world into dust?" She demanded incredulously. "Were you all so completely foolish?!"

Panaka glared at her. "Of course not! When the proposal was brought to us, our first question was what was it to be used for? We weren't about to permit such a thing to be built if it was going to be used to terrorize the people of the galaxy."

He sighed, seeming to lose some of his anger, and continued. "Tarkin had many propositions for how to use the station. Its shields could have been used for protection while mining in asteroid fields. He also boasted its use as a prison, stating it would be impossible to escape from." He looked up at her. "Using it as a mining tool would have allowed many businesses to boom. It would have been an excellent boost for the Imperial economy."

Was he asking for her understanding, her support, Pooja wondered briefly. She then stared back at him, unwilling to give it until she had the story in its entirety.

"It was Moff Sygti who asked the perfectly reasonable question of who would have nominal control over the station," Panaka said hollowly after he had paused to breathe for a moment. "The look on Tarkin's face was one of barely-contained glee when he told us the news…"

Disgust overtook his entire expression and Panaka didn't bother to suppress it. "'It is the Emperor's pleasure that I oversee the construction and be the ranking officer when the station is completed,' he told us. There were few people happy with that declaration. Most of us would have preferred Lord Vader, as he had already expressed his distain for the entire project, but the Emperor's wishes were not to be denied. We passed the motion."

Pooja leaned against one of the armrests of her chair, her hand resting lightly on her mouth. What were they thinking? she thought vehemently. They allowed a monstrosity to be built and left it in the hands of a madman. And for what? So they could enrich their territories? Or were they worried about gainsaying the Emperor! Have the upholders of justice truly fallen so far?

"Why wasn't the Senate informed of this?" Pooja asked coldly as she continued to glare at him. He was the only Moff present, therefore he would bear her displeasure alone for the moment. "Such a huge decision should have rested with the people, not with just a select few. Many of whom," she added, "are barely tolerated, much less trusted, by those who live in the sectors they represent."

"Indeed," Pooja heard Madlyn add. "Was Roloff Fintiv still a Moff at that time?" She asked, referring to one particularly corrupt Moff who had died under mysterious circumstances nearly a decade before.

Panaka sighed. "Point taken, Miladies. The Senate was not told because the Emperor felt that corrupt business beings would influence the Senate against it, fearing to lose their profits." He glanced at them both and grimaced at their incredulous scowls. "I was skeptical on that reason myself, I will admit."

Pooja shook her head. Not only had the Emperor hidden this from the Senate, but they had been perfectly blind to it as well. But how? Despite their waning power, the Senate still had maintained a firm hold on some things, specifically the Imperial finances.

"How did they get funding?"

The Governor did not answer at first as he struggled to recall. "I believe the funds were gathered by the Emperor through donations from several different avenues." He shrugged. "That was one of the many suspicious aspects of the entire project that we were never given a clear answer on."

Pooja narrowed her eyes, searching her own memory. Palpatine had been granted a very generous salary by an adoring Senate not long after he'd formed the Empire. He'd also dipped into the government's coffers on occasion as well, but not enough for such an undertaking…

She nearly leapt out of her seat when it all clicked in her mind. Turning, she said urgently, "Amarié! Get the Senators' records and bring them here. Hurry!"

9. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    great chapter!

[face_dancing] *FIRST Post*[face_dancing]

I'll say more later as I am at work, but I really liked this chapter!

Edit: interesting, according to Panaka's Bio on Wikipedia Panaka was the one who informed Palpatine of Padme and Anakin's marriage. Me thinks he has been keeping things from people...

Edit 2: Will Pooja get in trouble for having those records?

10. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    kateydidnt: great chapter!

*FIRST Post*

I'll say more later as I am at work, but I really liked this chapter!

*grins* Thank you! :D

Edit: interesting, according to Panaka's Bio on Wikipedia Panaka was the one who informed Palpatine of Padme and Anakin's marriage. Me thinks he has been keeping things from people...

Indeed it does say so. Panaka is one of the characters that holds a piece of the past that Luke sought so desperately for in his later years. Panaka knew his mother, knew his father (however briefly as his true self), and knew of their marriage.

And he gave that knowledge to the one who would plant the seeds that would tear his family apart.

Panaka will have much to atone for when he meets Padmé again in the next life.

Edit 2: Will Pooja get in trouble for having those records?

Well, if you recall that they were amused at this discovery, then I doubt there will be any negative fallout. As Bail Organa said to Pooja, everyone on Imperial Center knows everything about everyone else. This is a fact and it keeps people alive. How do you think they find out everything about everyone? ;)

AQ

11. JediMasterRev

JediMasterRev Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2004
    Great as always, AQ

?Tarkin had many propositions for how to use the station. Its shields could have been used for protection while mining in asteroid fields. He also boasted its use as a prison, stating it would be impossible to escape from.? He looked up at her. ?Using it as a mining tool would have allowed many businesses to boom. It would have been an excellent boost for the Imperial economy.?

Mining tool...riiigghhtt. Sad part was those people bought that explaination. Guess Palpy did like having fools around him.

It was Moff Sygti who asked the perfectly reasonable question of who would have nominal control over the station,? Panaka said hollowly after he had paused to breathe for a moment. ?The look on Tarkin?s face was one of barely-contained glee when he told us the news??

Further confirming what a sick, so and so that deathly looking Tarkin really was.

The Governor did not answer at first as he struggled to recall. ?I believe the funds were gathered by the Emperor through donations from several different avenues.? He shrugged slightly. ?That was one of the many suspicious aspects of the entire project.?

Pooja narrowed her eyes, searching her own memory. Palpatine had been granted a very? generous salary by an adoring Senate not long after he?d formed the Empire. He?d also dipped into the government?s coffers on occasion as well, but not enough for such an undertaking?

Gotta give Palpy credit. He was as smart as he was evil. How very cleaver to get the monies to find his little pet project.

Very nice chapter. Panaka definitely looked like an idiot and it appears that he is getting it into his brain that Palpy is perhaps..evil? Maybe...possibly...

Great job as always. Anxiously waiting for the next installment!

12. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Panaka will have much to atone for when he meets Padmé again in the next life.

No to mention this life if the Naberrie family finds out he was keeping this from them...

13. Darth_Scroobius

Darth_Scroobius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    ?Tarkin had many propositions for how to use the station. Its shields could have been used for protection while mining in asteroid fields. He also boasted its use as a prison, stating it would be impossible to escape from.? He looked up at her. ?Using it as a mining tool would have allowed many businesses to boom. It would have been an excellent boost for the Imperial economy.?

I love it! "Impossible to escape from" indeed. And I'm sure it would take ten thousand years of mining to make up for the cost of its construction. The vaguest of pretexts...

?I believe the funds were gathered by the Emperor through donations from several different avenues.?

Donations? That's delicious. I know it was secret but I can't help but imagine there being a "Death Star Charity Fund." All donations are tax-deductible!

I can't wait for the pay-off on the Senate files. Great work, AQ.

14. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Oooh, awesome job AQ!

Well, as sad as it is, I kinda wanna point a finger at the Senate and say "You just got SERVED!"

*smacks Panaka upside the head for a good measure*

He also boasted its use as a prison, stating it would be impossible to escape from. HA!! That's what he thinks...

15. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Rev: Great as always, AQ

Thank you! :)

Mining tool...riiigghhtt. Sad part was those people bought that explaination. Guess Palpy did like having fools around him.

*giggles* Quite right. Have a few smart people around to do the real work, while the rest can be idiots so that they're easily manipulated. Yep.

Though, as for buying it, I think it was probably a matter of the majority buying it. Get the majority on your side, and things are looking pretty good.

It was Moff Sygti who asked the perfectly reasonable question of who would have nominal control over the station,? Panaka said hollowly after he had paused to breathe for a moment. ?The look on Tarkin?s face was one of barely-contained glee when he told us the news??

Further confirming what a sick, so and so that deathly looking Tarkin really was.

Indeed! ;) :D

The Governor did not answer at first as he struggled to recall. ?I believe the funds were gathered by the Emperor through donations from several different avenues.? He shrugged slightly. ?That was one of the many suspicious aspects of the entire project.?

Pooja narrowed her eyes, searching her own memory. Palpatine had been granted a very? generous salary by an adoring Senate not long after he?d formed the Empire. He?d also dipped into the government?s coffers on occasion as well, but not enough for such an undertaking?

Gotta give Palpy credit. He was as smart as he was evil. How very cleaver to get the monies to find his little pet project.

*grins* Yeah, he was a smart you know what, wasn't he? He got it all right from under the Senate's collective nose.

Very nice chapter. Panaka definitely looked like an idiot and it appears that he is getting it into his brain that Palpy is perhaps..evil? Maybe...possibly...

I really don't see him as an idiot, but more as burdened by guilt and denial. I rather think that, for the past several years, Panaka has been wearing blinders, trying to remain oblivious to the corruption and idiocy outside the Chommell Sector. I think he's known for a while, deep down, that he was supporting a dictatorship that had no regard for the citizens. But if he were to see that, then he would have to live with the knowledge that he helped build up this government, and possibly played a hand in the downfall of the one who might have stood a chance in stopping it.

Great job as always. Anxiously waiting for the next installment!

Thank you! See you here Monday!

kateydidnt: Panaka will have much to atone for when he meets Padmé again in the next life.

No to mention this life if the Naberrie family finds out he was keeping this from them...

Aye, indeed matey! Panaka holds the answers to many mysteries that have plagued that family for the past two decades.

Scroobius: ?Tarkin had many propositions for how to use the station. Its shields could have been used for protection while mining in asteroid fields. He also boasted its use as a prison, stating it would be impossible to escape from.? He looked up at her. ?Using it as a mining tool would have allowed many businesses to boom. It would have been an excellent boost for the Imperial economy.?

I love it! "Impossible to escape from" indeed. And I'm sure it would take ten thousand years of mining to make up for the cost of its construction. The vaguest of pretexts..

*laughs* I know! I just couldn't resist putting that in! [face_laugh] Little did Skelo-Man know! ;)

?I believe the funds were gathered by the Emperor through donations from several different avenues.?

Donations? That's delicious. I know it was secret but I

16. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Lovely update, AQ! :)

I loved Pooja's reaction to the news about what really blew up Alderaan.

17. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Idrelle: Lovely update, AQ!

I loved Pooja's reaction to the news about what really blew up Alderaan.

Thank you! :)

AQ

18. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
  19. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    OOOOooooooOoooOOOOhhh.... how interesting.... yet how sad and short at the same time. This was an excellent post, and I love all the exposition that we are getting from the characters, though I wish we had more... ;) *hint hint nudge nudge wink wink* hehe. I love Pooja's confusion at Yané, and I sincerley wish to know what will be their decision concerning the Death Star and the Emperor. It seems that the Naboo would generally choose the moral high ground... but with crazy Gov'na Tarkin running around with a WMD... they might be a bit more cautious. Very interesting. Aww... poor Bail. I still miss him. :(

Can't wait for monday... hopefully my computer will actually be functional and working by then! :p

~Obischick~[face_peace]

20. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Obischick: OOOOooooooOoooOOOOhhh.... how interesting.... yet how sad and short at the same time. This was an excellent post, and I love all the exposition that we are getting from the characters, though I wish we had more... *hint hint nudge nudge wink wink* hehe.

*grins* More will come Monday, the last post of the chapter. Then comes the Epilogue. [face_whistling]

I love Pooja's confusion at Yané, and I sincerely wish to know what will be their decision concerning the Death Star and the Emperor. It seems that the Naboo would generally choose the moral high ground... but with crazy Gov'na Tarkin running around with a WMD... they might be a bit more cautious.

Of course she's confused! She just received advice from a rather eccentric former-handmaiden. ;) And there are many possible interpretations of her words. And there is always the Gov to consider, the jerk... :D

Very interesting. Aww... poor Bail. I still miss him.

Thank you! I miss him too... :(

AQ

21. aldocassidy

aldocassidy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 22, 2005
    This story is just getting better and better. Panaka is an intriguing character, and I'm curious to see which way he goes in this story. And the scene of Pooja before Padme's monument was quite moving too.

PS. If you do PM's, please send me one for updates. Classes have just started for me, so it's a lot harder to keep up with stories.

22. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    aldocassidy: This story is just getting better and better.

*blushes* Thank you! [face_blush]

Panaka is an intriguing character, and I'm curious to see which way he goes in this story.

He is interesting, isn't he? He was the only one of the "good guys" from the PT to end up on the side of the good guys that we didn't know about (we already knew about Anakin *whacks the idiot*). That distinction just begs us to consider what he was thinking through those years as the Empire grew steadily more corrupt. Thus, he got yanked into this story to have a few arguments with Pooja. ;)

And the scene of Pooja before Padme's monument was quite moving too.

Thank you! I was going for moving and hoping for the best. ;)

PS. If you do PM's, please send me one for updates. Classes have just started for me, so it's a lot harder to keep up with stories.

Sure, I'd be happy to. :) *hugs*

AQ

23. Obischick

Obischick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    Upsie doosie daisy for tomorrow! :)

~Obischick~[face_peace]

24. AngelQueen

Mar 1, 2001
    Chapter Five, Part III

"Pooja," Madlyn barked harshly, "what is it?"

She turned back, no longer watching Amarié rushing out of the throne room, and stared at them. Both the Queen and Governor Panaka were staring at her penetratingly, clearing wanting an explanation. After a moment, she gave them one.

"Before we left the capital, I ordered one of my handmaidens to download all of the private files of the various Senators," Pooja informed them, ignoring their small smiles of amusement. "I skimmed through some, including their receipts, which included their personal purchases and charitable donations."

Madlyn frowned in confusion. "How is this important? I sincerely doubt that the Emperor sold off his possessions to pay for this space station -"

"The Death Star."

The two women turned to look at Panaka. "Tarkin called the station 'the Death Star,'" he elaborated bitterly. "I am unsure if that was the official name for it, or just his personal designation."

An awkward silence reigned for several minutes, neither women knowing how to respond to his statements. It was not until Amarié hurried back into the spacious room, carrying the datachip. Upon seeing her, Pooja quickly stood up and instructed her to pull up the private records.

"Also," she added as she came to stand behind the handmaiden, "run a comparison on the charities they donated to. We are looking for the ones that the majority of Senators were giving to."

"Yes, Milady," Amarié murmured quietly as she began to work.

"What are you looking for, Senator Lydonia?" Panaka asked as he stood up to move closer to them.

"The largest charities are the most visible and well known," she answered. "It's usually been the custom of my colleagues to support the organizations that bring about the most visible results." Pooja shook her head wryly. "Many of them thought that it improved their images in the public's eye by appearing to have taken part in such good deeds."

Still seated on the throne, the Queen shook her head. "But what does this have to do with the money for the Death Star?"

"One moment please, Majesty," she said, her eyes sweeping over the list that had appeared on the monitor. "Interplanetary Children's Fund, no. The Imperial Anti-Slavery Trust, no." She continued to look through the names, but stopped abruptly.

"What is it?" Panaka demanded, attempting to look over her shoulder.

"The Former Separatist Reintegration Movement and the Outer Rim Reconstruction Fund," Pooja read aloud, frowning deeply. "I was of the impression that those were discontinued several years ago… along with the Clone Wars Veterans' Fund," she added, taking another glance further down the list.

The Moff nodded in agreement. "Yes, they were. Most of the veterans were taken care of and they settled down on the world of their choice. Though, some did choose to stay in the military service. The Separatist worlds were kept under occupational status for quite some time, but they were eventually brought back into the fold. The ORRF did fall under the radar when the Hutts and their disreputable ilk began to take an even greater hold of the goings on in the Outer Rim territories."

"So, why would a clear majority of Senators be funding charities that are no longer in use," Madlyn asked. "You don't think…" She trailed off.

"That Palpatine used the records of the defunct organizations to whittle away a little money at a time from their accounts?" Pooja finished grimly. "Yes, I do, Your Majesty."

As she said this, she glanced in Panaka's direction, half-expecting him to fly into a rage and come vehemently to the Emperor's defense. He was clearly lost in thought, though, and took no notice of her gaze.

For several minutes, the silence lengthened. Sighing, Pooja turned around and went back to her seat, where Niaé and Meliaé both still stood as silent sentinels. "Your Majesty, Governor," she said softly, her voice echoing eerily in the large room. "I think we have to consider that the people have been betrayed by the leader who should have protected them."

"Why," Panaka cut in just as quietly, though Pooja could hear near desperation entering into his tone. "This could just mean that he stole the Senators' money. There is nothing here to suggest -"

"Hugh," Madlyn said as she stood up. She walked over to him and rested a small hand on his grey-clad shoulder. "I think you need to let it go. He is not worth such an honorable man defending his actions."

The older man slumped slightly and after several moments, nodded and closed his eyes wearily. Carefully, she led him over to his chair and gently pushed him into it. The Queen then looked up to one of her nearby handmaidens.

"Taliaé," she ordered, "get the Governor a brandy, please."

As the young woman moved off, Madlyn turned back to Pooja, who had been silent since Panaka's small outburst.

"Pooja, I understand what you are saying. I will even go as far to say that I agree with you. But I also know that you would say that the solution would be to join the Rebel Alliance against the Empire. You want revenge for the injustices and murders on the Imperial government's hands."
    Staring resolutely up at her monarch, she nodded, but said nothing.

"But surely you can see the folly of such a move, my friend? Alderaan was long out-spoken against the Emperor and now they've been dealt with. I will not support going down a path that will lead us to the same fate. We have lost enough," she said firmly. "Open defiance will only bring about our own destruction."

Pooja opened her mouth, hoping to say something, anything, to salvage the situation, but then stopped. She had said 'open defiance…'

"What do you propose then, Your Majesty?" She asked at length.

"I'm proposing that we distance ourselves from all sides in this growing conflict. The people will want nothing to do with someone who permitted not only the murders of our friends, but also some of our own children and families as well." The Queen's eyes darkened as she spoke. "But I do not wish to involve our world in a movement to restore the system of government that failed the Naboo when we needed justice the most."

Pooja blinked in confusion. "Your Highness, I do not understand."

Madlyn turned around and returned to the throne. "You of all people should know, Pooja," she retorted with growing heat. "After all, it was your aunt who sought out the Senate's assistance in bringing the Trade Federation to justice for their unlawful invasion. Instead, they preferred to foolishly discuss it in a committee! The Rebel Alliance seeks to bring such horrors back upon us!"

She felt stunned. Pooja had always been aware of her friend's cynicism towards the Old Republic, but she had no idea her resentment ran so deep. She glanced over at Panaka, who was sipping on the small glass of brandy he'd been given while staring in her direction. He shook his head minutely, warning her off the idea of replying to the Queen's words.

Pooja took his silent advice. Turning back to Madlyn, she asked, "How do you think Imperial Center will react to us pulling away?"

"Economic sanctions, perhaps," the Queen guessed, having calmed herself slightly. "I do not believe they will have time to do more than that. If we are the only world planning to do this, then I will be very surprised." Her lips twitched in a grim manner. "Imperial Center is going to be very occupied in the coming times, I think, and if it does come to a full blockade, well, the several past rulers have worked successfully to make Naboo as self-sufficient as possible. We will manage."

Pooja nodded but before she could say anything, Panaka again found his voice.

"It is a good plan, Your Highness," he said a little hoarsely. "I will do what I can to help. Perhaps, if this causes any major upset at Imperial Center, I will do my best to downplay the situation."

Pooja started in surprise. Had the Queen's earlier words to him actually penetrated his shocked mind? Panaka must have noticed her look, because he smiled slightly.

"I have never lost my loyalty to my home, Senator," he said to her. "I would give my life for Naboo. And I will do whatever is within my power to protect this world, as well as the others in my care."

Slowly, she nodded. Perhaps she had been wrong in believing him to be completely blinded by his issues with the past and seeing him as just one of Palpatine's cronies.

"Come my friends," Madlyn said to them both as she stood to leave the throne room, "we have much to do."

Pooja nodded and stood to follow. Just before she left, she thought she saw a lone figure standing in the shadows cast by the sun shining brightly through the enormous windows, dressed in a flame-colored cloak. But when she turned slightly to get a better look, there was no one there.

25. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    ?You of all people should know, Pooja,? she retorted with growing heat. ?After all, it was your Aunt who sought out the Senate?s assistance in bringing the Neimoidians to justice for their unlawful invasion. Instead, they preferred to foolishly discuss it in a committee! The Rebel Alliance seeks to bring such horrors back upon us!?

Sometime I want to see a story where there is a revelation to all the people harping on the corruption of the Old Republic that, though there was a great deal of corruption the worst of it -aka arranging to keep the senate bogged down and giving the Nemoidians the push for their illegal invasion- was Palpatine's manipulations. I want the galaxy to know that Palpatine and Darth Sidious were one and the same and that the Sepratist movement that symbolized a 'failure to listen' was only a game where he was playing with both sides.

Comments? The Epilogue will be here on Thursday!

:eek:
    I refuse to acknowledge that I read that.[face_not_talking]

There is no way you can complete this story with just one more post....unless you are planning a sequel. [face_thinking]