Phx Rebel Desert Troopers

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by VoidDancer, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. Commander_Choad Jedi Master

star 4
    Why is it you are REALLY starting to worry me??? ;)

Good morning oh my Queen...
  2. Idiots Array Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  3. VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I forgot what it says and I don't have it here at work...can you PM me with it IA ?
  4. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    I would like a translation... It's not even June yet and the temp hit 99 today! :eek: :_| My brains are a little fried [face_blush] :(
  5. TK-4752 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Heh. I know what it says, too. :)

And what exactly distinguishes a Forest Trooper from a Desert Trooper? Just color and a few extra doohickeys for cooling and stuff?
  6. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    WOW!!! It's only around 103-108 here, and you guys are catching up!!! I was born on a day when the outside temperature was 116(of course, it was July in Arizona). Anyways, back to topic. The New Republic Desert Trooper will have the following variations: Han Solo type "Tracker Vest" (Sleeveless tan light cotton BDU Jacket), with added code cylinder pockets above the left top pocket, and using the desert camo technique from the rebel trooper. Tan BDU shorts with added pockets(I.E. small pockets for commlinks, etc.), also using the camo technique from the rebel troopers. They will also have cotton gauze wrappings for their forearm to fist(both arms) and from their knees to ankles(on both legs, covering the boots). The boots will be german army boots, available from around $10-$40 at army surplus stores. The patches will be New Republic seal patches, and unit patches.
  7. VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Kev,

I'm assuming you mean for your fan film and you aren't trying to tell the group how the costume is going to be for everyone. yes ?
  8. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    Void, you assume right. The variations are only for my fanfilm. BTW: Do you think it will work together with all the other stuff?
  9. Idiots Array Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Void and I tested a new method of applying the Desert Trooper camo pattern where the water/salt/dye mixture is sprayed directly to the fabric using a small spray bottle.

Analysis: The dye goes on very well and it's very easy to control how dark you make the fabric. The only downside we noticed was that the dye went on a bit splotchy in a few areas, but that could be because I bought a very cheap spray bottle.

We tried applying they dye first on an area of wet fabric, then on an area of dry fabric. On the dry area it didn't seem to splotch quite as much, but I thought the camo pattern, over all, was better on the dry area. Then again it wasn't quite dry, so I'll reserve final judgement until this weekend.

The overall effect is, IMO, very good, and very similar to what is seen on the Endor commandos' uniforms. We still need to check things over when our test section dries fully and they try it out with the other colors. I'd also like to find a slightly lighter color dye, like a tan or a taupe to transition between the very light color of the fabric and the dark brown dye.
  10. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Just be very careful washing that stuff the first few times... I would wash it 3x before wearing it.
  11. Idiots Array Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  12. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    I would also use Cider Vinegar to rinse them... It helps to set the color and keeps it out of the washing machine as well. :)
  13. TK-4752 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    OK...sounds cool...

And besides the general camo being a huge mess of colors, what base color are you using for the forest camo? Tan, too?
  14. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Yep, Khaki to more specific ;)
  15. VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Cider vinegar, check

We were going to run it through the washer at least once to see how well the dye stays. I really like the soft pattern that the spray has, looks very much like sand drift. We just need that second brown for a 3 color pattern on that.

IA also has an awesome tiered cloak idea that he's come up with. With the debate between a 1 piece and 2 piece garment...plus with half cape versus cloak...this layered approach is awesome.

Things that I thought should be uniform as much as possible...

The pants
    The helmet donut with neck drape
    Boots as similar as possible
    Try and stick with only a couple of cloak designs. Some in the tiered, others in the lab coat idea if they want that. That way we can have a look of belonging while still having a rag tag look.
  16. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    And for my fanfilm, we are having the arm and leg wraps camo dyed. :D Check my Casting Call and Resource Pool, if you want to see how the other costumes for my fanfilm will be done. :D
  17. aztrooper0013 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Heyas gang,

I know it's been ages since I've lurked in this "wretched hive of Rebellion scum", but I thought I'd post some drawings I did *months* ago when this project first came about.

I have no idea if any of you ever saw these, but I sent them to Gabby a while ago.

Anyhow, here they are.
    [image=http://members.cox.net/td0013/rebeltrooper/rebeldeserttrooper01.jpg]
    [image=http://members.cox.net/td0013/rebeltrooper/rebeldeserttrooper01side.jpg]
    [image=http://members.cox.net/td0013/rebeltrooper/rebeldeserttrooper02.jpg]
    [image=http://members.cox.net/td0013/rebeltrooper/rebeldeserttrooper03.jpg]

Hope they can be of some use to you guys.

Good luck with the project, and see you at SDCC.

18. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    Kevin --those are fantastic!!!!!

That's very, very close to what I had imagined! Great work!!!
  19. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    I found these binocular cases at www.sportsmansguide.com

[image=http://image.sportsmansguide.com/image/6/69550.JPG]

They are 5 for $9.97!

These could be used for macrobinoculars, or other purposes. :)

I also found thse ammo pouches 2 for $9.97

[image=http://image.sportsmansguide.com/image/7/72157.JPG]

and these khakis for $14.97
    [image=http://image.sportsmansguide.com/image/7/74473.JPG]
  20. Idiots Array Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    5 cases for $10? If you do an order count me in, Obey.

Great drawings, Kevin. Very cool.

I'll take some pictures of the camo pattern Void and I have been working on tomorrow and post the images here.
  21. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    Yea, and count me in on 2. One for me and one for another person in my film. And, BTW, that drawing rocks. How do you color it that way?
  22. aztrooper0013 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I just made a simple pattern of desert camo and "patterned" it onto the clothes.

Glad you guys like them. Hope they are of some use to you.

23. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    OK, I'm in for 1, 2 for Kev and 1 for IA. Any other takers?

If anyone wants to do a group SG order, let me know. They've got a lot of good stuff and we can all put in for an order if you want.
  24. TK-4752 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Kev...Arm wraps? Do you mean those wrap thingies that Ninja Turtles wear from their wrists to elbows and ankles to knees in the old skool comics where they kill people?
  25. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    Yea, and sorta like what Luke Skywalker wears on Tatooine, and Anakin on Tatooine, and his friends, and on and on and on.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.