Phx Rebel Desert Troopers

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by VoidDancer, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. TK-4752 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Kev...ohhhhhhh...OK...I gotcha.

0013...ooooo. Thanx for pictures. Nice. :) I understand much better what everyone's doing.
  2. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Flight Helmets

Yes after much procrastination and frustration, the prototype will finally be completed. :eek: :D

Hope to have pix of the completed version done on Friday. At which point "logistics" can be discussed as to my making them in quantity. One requirement, however, will be that everyone who wishes me to make one for them will need to provide me w/ two plastic Kool-Aid lids (the pre-mixed stuff that comes in those cool round plastic containers). I don't consume sugar, so drinking that much Kool-Aid would probably kill me :p BTW-You can also use the Countrytime containers (since they are identical).
  3. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Add to your list of things to get for these.... Plastic bendy straws :D

The helmet is complete... Need to get someone to model it, but it's done... Going to work on a tutorial for it (have most of the writing part done, but want to include some pix).

I would be willing to make these for anyone, but it might be easier if someone there was able to... Totally up to you guys... The tutorial will go up on the website in the next couple of weeks, either way.

It does require some sewing skills (both machine and hand sewing). And it also demands that you can think in the 3rd dimension... There is some customization involved in the pattern (measuring your own head), so this will not necessarily be for the amateur costumer (i.e. not a cut and pin pattern).

Things to remember if you are going to embark on this yourselves:

Material - Must be sturdy but breathing (otherwise you'll pass out from the heat)
    Kool-Aid Cups - These work really well, and are roughly the same size as the really ones (though a bit more round than the originals). You can also get someone to vacuform something for you to use instead.
    Hand sewing will be a requirement for this project (machines are optional though really speed things up).
    Plastic Bendy Straws - These will form the ribbing at the top of the helmet.
    Chin Straps - You can do these out of the same material or modify them w/ leather or anything else, but for you desert rats the same material might be a better option.
  4. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    I'm collecting the Kool-Aid caps. We go through a lot of that in our household. ;)

Jen --any word on the doughnuts? Price, availability, etc?
  5. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Yeah, I'm waiting to hear back from someone I'm doing some trade work w/ on any further bedpans. May be a couple weeks before I know anything on that. But the last I heard you would be happy about :D

Anything further on that needs to be in a PM [face_plain]
  6. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    Understood. ;) I was just wodering if they *migh* be available by the time we join you for the camping trip.
  7. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    That could be a very real possibility... :D
  8. Idiots Array Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What are you using to attach the bedpan to the cloth part, ZOO?
  9. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Snaps (the kind you rivet on I believe...), someone else is handling that part, but he was pretty sure it would work.

If I do it on my own, it would be w/ velcro tabs
  10. TK-4752 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Snaps MIGHT work. That's how I've got most of my TK armor attached to my wetsuit. I haven't seen the flight helmet yet, so I can't really say. Industrial velcro might be the way to go. We'll know more someday...

Yes...someday...

11. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
  12. TK-4752 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Someday...provided the gods do not smite me again!!! *shakes fist defiantly at the sky*
  13. TK-4752 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *promptly makes amends with the gods*...

No sense making any of them mad at me... :D
  14. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Tutorial should be done by the end of next week... As long as Darth RL leaves me the hell alone for a change :p

I'll have my second one done at the same time, so there will be lots of completed project pictures (and the tutorial will have lots of pix too :) )
  15. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
  16. aztrooper0013 Jedi Knight

star 2
    As far as snaps go, WAY back in the day when I was a lowly Naval Airman in the US Navy, we had "cranial helmets". These are the kind you see the boyz wearing on the flight deck of aircraft carriers. They are a cloth "hood" with impact resistant plastic plates attached with snaps. The snaps used are a bit odd though, as they can only be connected in a certain direction. Think of it as having to line up the two halves perfectly in order for them to snap together. Once they rotate in place, the snaps WILL NOT come undone.

You might consider trying to find some of these snaps, as they'll guarrentee the helmet will stay together in any situation, until you decide to take it apart.

Just my measily two cents on the subject. :)
  17. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Well, since we won't be worrying about Navy Flyboys buzzing the deck, I don't think we'll have too much trouble keeping the bedpans on ;)

Speaking of which.... Number 1 and complete en route to its, hopefully, happy owner... Number 2 and tutorial scheduled to be completed by this weekend. :D Pix will be up tomorrow :D :D
  18. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Okay, so it took me longer than expected to get these images up... But here they are :D

[image=http://members.aol.com/ptrsonszoo/images/anh15front.jpg]

[image=http://members.aol.com/ptrsonszoo/images/anh15side.jpg]

[image=http://members.aol.com/ptrsonszoo/images/anh15back.jpg]

And if you are really curious about my costuming feats, go here. :D
  19. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow, Zoo, I looked at your page, and one thing came to my mind. How did you make that blaster that you as the mountain trooper has? I'd love to make something similar, but I don't know what parts I could use, so I might have to go with styrene, or something else. Because if I could do that, I could make a fanfilm(I'm currently doing one).

BTW: The helmet looks excellent. :D
  20. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    Go to KayBee Toys and get the "Laser Warrior Rifle" and then spray paint it :p

That's all I did :D
  21. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    Cool, copy that. I might add on some greeblies though, and give it a longer barrel, to make it a Merr-Sonn M-435 Death Sledge, instead of looking like an oversized Merr-Sonn M-434 Death Hammer BLASTER PISTOL.

[face_laugh] :D
  22. Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost

star 5
    Cool, copy that. I might add on some greeblies though, and give it a longer barrel, to make it a Merr-Sonn M-435 Death Sledge, instead of looking like an oversized Merr-Sonn M-434 Death Hammer BLASTER PISTOL.

[face_laugh] :D

EDIT: Grrr.... STUPID ERROR!!!!! IT MADE ME DOUBLE POST!!!!! THERE IS SOMETHING HORRIBLY WRONG WITH THE BOARDS!!!!! [rant]@@##$$#%!@!$!$#$%#@!$%[/rant]

EDIT 2: I have a wonderful idea. There's these wonderful "Spy" Night Vision Binoculars, with green tinted lenses, might be good for the costume, if you paint them, which wouldn't be too hard. They have a pop-up light too, so, it would be good for the sniper types.
  23. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    Jen --it looks great! One question, is it just me, or are the ear cups a bit large? I'm wondering if they should be cut down a bit, instead of sticking out so much? Or am I just not seeing it right?

BTW --I can't wait for the tutorial! I might have to sucker the wife into helping make a test run. [face_devil]
  24. PtrsonsZOO Force Ghost

star 7
    My helmet guy and I were just saying the same thing... Plus he is getting a a real AN-H-15 to make molds of the ear pieces from... So you might want to count on a slightly higher amount for the donuts :D [face_devil]
  25. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    Sweet, I'll talk to him. :D
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.