Rebel Dream and Dark Journey covers!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by neimoidian_85, Sep 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenVeila Jedi Master

star 4
    * mouth falls open* Wow! *sits and gapes for a while* Those are some covers...this is awesome. I e-mailed my friend who is practically on the other side of the country on vacation at the moment and will come back intwo weeks (sigh) but I dont know if she can get the e-mail before she comes back....I was typing in all caps lol I am so excited about HAPES! *smiles* Oh please please please please Cunningham bring back Tenel Ka!! And not to mention Zekk! Even if its just for one book!
    (And if Anakin dies... *glares at all NJO authors*)
  2. JediFarfy Force Ghost

star 4
    I've been trying to figure out who Jaina reminds me of and I figured it out! The actress Carly Pope! Never heard of her? She was on the only decent WB show, Popular. I think I was the only one who watched it, cause it got cancelled after 2 seasons. Oh well. Here's a site with some pictures:
    http://www.angelfire.com/bc2/PopularSam/

It's kinda close. Not perfect, but the closest I could find.

JediFarfy
  3. jade_angel Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow! You're right Jedifarfy and the two of them even has the whole high on crack expression on their faces. :p

To be serious, yes, they do look alike.
  4. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    OK, Dev, got me... I'm so sorry... I thought theories about NR becoming New Rebellion were absolutely educated guesses, and I expected nothing less from Rebel Dream. I never posted any critical comments, did not even express my agreement, but... for what it's worth... I'm truly, truly sorry.

BTW, did you notice how every discussion about a new, controversial topic that reaches it's fourth page starts to include a quarrel between some JC members? And those quarrels are quite often about another topic! Interesting! If I had more waste time, I'd start to analyze this...
  5. Jades Fire Jedi Master

star 4
    Genghis,

I shouldn't be surprised that you'd miss the subtle difference between the two situations. I was actively posting in both threads at the time, whereas AniSS is just lurking/watching. I noticed your "hypocritical" behavior -- you chastising people for attacking authors, then later attacking Zahn as you are wont to do. I just called you on it. In the words of one your favorite authors, I suggest you get over it.

The next message applies to you too...
  6. Jades Fire Jedi Master

star 4
    Anakin SkySolo,

Yes, child, when you lurk in an EU Comminity thread, set up specifically as a haven for NJO critics to have a home without having to constantly and endlessly debate with NJO fans, I'd say that you are a little bit obsessed with watching me/us. And if you've been reading my Humorous Version, you should say so by upping the thread so others can read it too. ;)

So, you don't like having your integrity inpugned or have someone jestingly or jokingly make light of you?

Too freaking bad. Welcome to my world. I get that all the time and am really tired of it.

I can't count the number of times that Genghis12, sometimes you, and most recently ReaperFett or Dev have done the exact same thing to me, or some of my fellow NJO critics. Just look above at G12's lastest post. Filled with winks and big smiles; subtle insults directed at me. Hidden message: I predict that Genghis will say something, with winks and smiles, along the lines of not needing to tarnish my credibility or integrity because I do it well enough on my own, or something very similar.
    I am sick and tired of the one way street, always having my integrity or character impugned. Unless and until that kind of behavior ceases to be directed at me or my fellow NJO critics, or the administration starts cracking down on that kind of behavior, you can look forward to more jesting.

I am more than willing to stop right now. Are you and some of your fellow NJO fans willing to take up the challenge?
  7. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay, all three of you take your little war to the PM's and stop clogging up discussions.
  8. Jades Fire Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry, Kadue, but this challenge to change behavior on the forums needs to be public.

PM's can be denied.
  9. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yes, but when it happens in god knows how many threads, I think you just have to try dealing with it in another fashion.

And screen shot's can't be denied.
  10. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Jade's Fire...
    "Too freaking bad. Welcome to my world. I get that all the time and am really tired of it."

Well, if you can't take it, then you should most likely quit dishing it out. Case in point - attacking someone of doing the exact same thing you did just days earlier. If you can't handle being held accountable for your h********* posts, then you shouldn't attack others for the same thing.

"I can't count the number of times that Genghis12, sometimes you, and most recently ReaperFett or Dev have done the exact same thing to me, or some of my fellow NJO critics."

Please, JF. If you and AnSS want to flame each other, feel free to do so. But, don't attack us based on your paranoia. This is not the forum to air out the sum total of your feelings of persecution here. If you have problems with anyone, PM's are probably the best way to handle things.

"Just look above at G12's lastest post. Filled with winks and big smiles"

Yes - something your posts lack. They are used to point out in a humorous manner something rather serious - the fact that you attacked someone for "stalking" you, when you've "stalked" others in the same manner just days ago.

"I predict that...along the lines of not needing to tarnish my credibility or integrity because I do it well enough on my own, or something very similar."

Well, this may well be one of the few times we agree on something.

I think you need to really step back and take a deep breath. You've made a whole lot of attacks on a whole lot of people that are uncalled for.
  11. Jedimama Jedi Master

star 3
    I've been looking at these covers for a couple days, trying to figure out the reason for my immediate dislike of the first one, with Jaina, and my appreciation of the second one.
    I think I've figured it out. Maybe. :)
    Jaina simply has far too much make-up on her face. She is rather pale, but with extrememly bold eye and lip color. And its not just that the make-up is heavy - its very intricate - the way you see women in fasion magazines who have their make-up done professionally.
    This, to me, is not the Jaina we have seen thus far. Jaina was a very natural young woman - a very active young woman.
    Do you honestly believe that Jaina - a Jedi, a pilot, on the run from an invading Force, and embroiled in the middle of a war would take the time to do up her face like that?
    Personally, I think not. And even if she had the time - I have never perceived Jaina as being that type of person. (Vain, extremely concerned with appearnace)
    It seems to me that whoever designed this cover was trying far too hard to make Jaina look 'hot'. It's not working - at least not to to me.
    She looks too old, too out of charcater and, as was stated before, the cover - for these reasons - does not fit.
    Unless - Jaina, during the course of the book, is required to play a role where she has to be in disguise and dress up in outlandish clothes and make-up.
    I can't help but wonder, looking at that cover - do you think they have trailers in a galaxy far, far away..? ;)
  12. ReaperFett Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    JF, I dont think I have ever commented to you with winks.
  13. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    I love the Rebel Dream cover. That is awsome!
  14. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Jedimama...
    "This, to me, is not the Jaina we have seen thus far."

I would tend to agree with you. This Jaina does not look like the happy, care-free spirit seen in the YJK series. This Jaina looks like someone haunted by a dark journey.

The Dark Side is an extremely unforgiving companion on a dark journey. One could look at the Anakin Skywalker in ROTJ and the Anakin Skywalker in TPM and see (ignoring age difference ;) ) some pretty radical differences. One can look at the Senator Palpatine in TPM and Emperor Palpatine in ROTJ and see some pretty radical differences. One can look at a newly-born Palpatine clone in DE and the Dark-Side-affected Palpatine clone and see the Dark Side takes its toll on people.

If Jaina's journey even takes her within reach of the Dark Side's grasp, it is more than reasonable to assume she may be affected by it both mentally and physically. She can consider herself to be very lucky if the total of her dark journey effects are that she goes with a "goth" look. At least she's got all her limbs and doesn't have extreme wrinkles or large gashes across her head.
  15. Anakin SkySolo Force Ghost

star 4
    Jades Fire--

Sheesh. Like I said, I'm interested in opinions about the NJO. That's all. That's why I lurk in the Critics' Club. That's also why I don't read your humorous version or versions. I'm aware of them, but I don't care about them.

So, you don't like having your integrity inpugned or have someone jestingly or jokingly make light of you?

I wrote hastily last time. I have no problems with jests from most people I know. But neither your original charge that people had dumped on you for your prediction, nor your "backpedaling" accusation, seemed in jest.

I am more than willing to stop right now. Are you and some of your fellow NJO fans willing to take up the challenge?

I'm always willing.

If you want to continue the conversation, please use PMs, as Kadue suggested, and as we should have done from the start. Thanks.
  16. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Jaina may look like a goth, but I don't think jaina looks the way she does because of makeup. It looks more like here eyes have turned dark because of lack of sleep, or she's been tortured, or is bruised, and maybe was put near death. the way her lips have turned purple, the way here eyes have a dark gaunt look to them, the way here hair looks like she's been having cold sweats of near death. That's what I think, has been implied in that picture. She's not in good shape.
  17. Jades Fire Jedi Master

star 4
    That's right, Genghis, you hide your flames and attacks behind winks and smiles, but that doesn't excuse them. They are still flames and attacks. I should have known you'd see my hidden prediction. Too bad you didn't quote all of it, only using parts of it to your advantage to further insult me.

I am sorry you prefer to further insult me rather than accept my challenge to tone down the thinly veiled, ugly behavior in the forum.

JF, I dont think I have ever commented to you with winks.

That may be so Reaper, but you still insult NJO critics fairly often. And while I am at it, stop trolling in the Critics Club thread. You obviously are a fan of the NJO, the Critics Club is for people who are NOT fans of the NJO, so why do you bother posting over there unless you are looking to cause problems.

PM's can be denied. Screenshots can be doctored. Saved threads can be doctored. Only unedited posts can't be denied.
  18. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Jade's Fire...
    "That's right, Genghis, you hide your flames and attacks behind winks and smiles, but that doesn't excuse them."

They're not attacks and flames. You seem to have the monopoly on those around here. As I pointed out, you made serious attacks on a member of a forum - namely stalking and the use of cross-posting of thread information to attack someone. Attacks which you yourself did only a matter of days ago. Winks and smiles are meant nothing more than to at least diffuse some of the seriousness while pointing out your hypocrisy.

"I should have known you'd see my hidden prediction. Too bad you didn't quote all of it, only using parts of it to your advantage to further insult me."

You were the only one insulting people with your post. I merely agreed with you.

"I am sorry you prefer to further insult me rather than accept my challenge to tone down the thinly veiled, ugly behavior in the forum."

Poor, poor Jade's Fire. Perhaps if you quit attacking people, you won't feel so persecuted when they call you out on it. You've taken a disagreement between you and AnSS and expanded it to attack a number of people, including me. It's a shame you seek to continue such behavior.
  19. ReaperFett Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Jade, trolling is causing arguments. Note how I have never called anyone stupid or anything. I gave an opinion. Have I caused an argument? No. Have I infuriated so much they left the thread? No. All I did, was give an opinion. I am actually indifferent on the NJO. THe Stackpole pair weren't very good at all, Blance Point wasnt that great, and the EOVs were okay, nothing more. So, I am not "Obviously a NJO fan" as you put it. Im not just a anti-NJO Zealot like you. So please, kindly dont name drop me to sound clever
  20. Dev Sibwarra Jedi Master

star 4
    JF- Sorry if I offended you. That attempt at a joke wasn't intended as an insult. If anything, I was mocking myself. However, I'm not sure who argued with you when you said that the NR would fall- as was pointed out earlier, DL has been speculating on it for some time now, and since the beginning Del Rey said that they would try to go back to the old "Rebels vs. Empire" feel.

PM's are considered valid cause for banning. Proof is harder to obtain, but you can get it by taking a screenshot or, if there's cause for doubt, giving a trusted administrator your password.

BTW, causing an argument isn't always trolling. Unless, of course, you start the argument purely for the purpose of annoying someone.

Now, enough of this. Let's talk about DJ and RD.
  21. excalibur2358 Jedi Master

star 4
    PEOPLE, PLEASE! Keep your flaming to other areas! I started reading this thread because I was interested in reading people's comments about the covers of the books, and all of a sudden, we have a friggin civil was on our hands over some stupid little arguement. People, it's a book. Star Wars is a story. Grow up a little, you sound like little kids.

Okay, now that I have thrown my two cents in, I have to comment about the covers! Awesome! I agree about the color scheme about the aqua kind of color, it sticks out and doesn't go with the background colors. I think Jaina looks pretty cool, and the darkness below the eyes gives her a haunted look, like someone who has been to hell and back. And the gaunt, thin appearance to her face makes her look like she has suffered all right.

Rebel Dream...wow! Finally, a Wedge-takes-on-the-universe cover! Very cool. Just a great action piece.

A couple of things I noticed. First off, I did see the distorted face thingy, although I can't even begin to try and decipher who or what it is. We'll have to wait for Ghentz's wacky explanation.

Also, I noticed this before, I think I mentioned this on another thread, but the star burst seems to be a big death/event clue. And in Dark Journey/s I spotted two of them. One of them is in the upper right if I remember correctly, but the other one is over one of the engines of the X-Wing schematic. Anyone want to comment on that one?
  22. AquaRose Force Ghost

star 4
    I think that the Dark Journey cover is kinda kewl but Jaina needs to cut back on the makeup...
  23. RingoJuna Jedi Knight

star 3
    Can I mention again how much these covers ROCK!!!
  24. Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group

VIP
    star 4
    Have I mentioned how everyone disliked Luke on Rebirth, until it was explained that this was only a first version? When it was replaced, it looked somewhat better.

Everyone who tried to explain Luke's exterior gave the 'dark times'-explanation...
    Jaina should be recognizable. Even if there is a word on her state in the book, we can't know when we buy it. But anyway, I dislike that picture of her, while the overall look is good.

But as far as I recall, there was never any SW artwork like this...

PS: Trolls are stupid.
  25. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Jaina is not wearing makeup, i'm sure of it, it's probably bruises, or eyes turning black from lack of sleep.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.