main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Rebel Heart, OT fic. Some news 22/10

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Sock_of_Darth_Vader, Aug 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Sock_of_Darth_Vader Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2002
    Go and nominate for the SFFA!

I think this fic has one nom at the minute, so it would be nice if a couple of you could see your way to...you know? ;)

2. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    Two noms for best canon! Thanks to whoever those were! [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Last update will be tomorrow, probably.

3. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    There was, of course, a lot of clearing up to do.

The celebration was exuberant, full of joyful reunions-Toryn and Samoc Farr, Tycho and Vega, Leia and Han somewhere I suppose. Clearing up after the party, I knew, would be just the beginning. There would be plenty to do, battles to fight, both for me and for the Alliance. But I felt lost, purposeless. I made my way to one of the viewing galleries of the frigate. It was a long time since I had had time to look at the stars. I wondered, standing by the viewport, whether I could see Alderaan's sun and which one it was. Ari, I thought, the old longing welling up in my from force of habit. Because I was alone in the gallery, I cried a little. But Ari and my family had belonged to a different time, divided from me by this victory. I was a different person from the girl who had left Alderaan so long ago.
    I heard a light footfall behind me, and turned my head.

"Hello, Luke," I said, wondering if he could see that I had been crying, and decided that it didn't matter.

"Hi," he returned, moving to lean on the rail beside me.

"Where's Leia, do you know?"

"I don't. I have a feeling I don't want to know."

This struck me as very funny, and I started laughing, a little uncertainly. The corners of Luke' mouth crinkled.

"You all right?" he asked when I had quietened.

"Anticlimactic is the word, I think."

"I know what you mean."

I looked at the starscape again, realising abruptly-"That isn't the Empire any more."

"No...I wonder, when the Republic began, did they think it would last so long-did they know what they were going to be responsible for?"

I thought about it. "Probably they were just people, who were worried about the baby teething and how their haircuts looked. As for where they lived-the Coruscanti would say Coruscant, the Corellians would say Corellia, and I of course say Alderaan."

Luke laughed. "I'm sure it wasn't Tatooine."

"The new Republic started there, in a way," I thought aloud.

"Huh?"

I glanced pointedly at him. "I've heard the rumours."

"Oh, me-I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, as Leia says." He grinned self-consciously, and added, "And weren't we all?"

I leaned my elbows on the edge of the viewport's frame, chin on my fists. If I hadn't been in the wrong place the day Alderaan died, I remembered, I would have died too. For the first time I saw my life as a gift from fate, the Force, the patron god of hyperdrives. What was I going to do with it? Living takes more courage than dying, Shamma used to say. Well, did I not have courage? I was an Avram, the last of a proud line. I set my chin, said, "See you later," to Luke, and started optimistically out of the gallery to face the new world.

I turned my head for one last look at the stars-I could almost see the beloved faces outlined against them. And they smiled.

Finis

4. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    =D= =D= =D= =D= - Lovely, wonderful story! I loved it!

5. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Great story, Cat! Loved the ending, Keitin knows that things still won't be easy and she still has burdens to carry, but there's definitely hope for a better future.

Kristeh

6. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    That was a beautiful tale! I've wholeheartedly enjoyed Keitin's story.

She wasn't the usual flamboyant hero, but I think she was more special for representing the average person in a galaxy full of heroes. I really came to care about her through the careful glimpses you gave us into her heart. Nice work!

And congrats on your nominations!

7. merkuria

merkuria Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2004
    Lovely ending. I feel quite sad and nostalgic now...

Congratulations on the completed fic - well done! I'll be missing it. :)

8. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    Lovely tale.

Liked how Luke decided that he didn?t want to know what Leia was doing at that precise moment (closes down twin bond extraordinarily quickly and absolutely so he can?t feel Leia?s emotions).

Also liked Luke?s modesty about just having been in the wrong place at the wrong time (liked the reference to the ANH novelisation there).

As others have said Keitlin wasn?t your normal hero, she wasn?t a great pilot, a brilliant tactician, or (heaven forbid) yet another parent/grandparent-was-a-Jedi. It was nice to follow one of the normal people who did so much to ensure that the ?heroes? were able to do their jobs.

9. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    GreatOne: Thank you! I like that applauding smiley.

kristeh: Yup. That's exactly what I was trying to get across. It's not the end foe her, just a corner. :)

Reihla: Aw, thank you.I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm rather fond of Keit myself, and I think she was easier to write because she wasn't a hero.

merkuria: Thank you! :) I feel a bit nostalgic myself :(

_JM_: Liked how Luke decided that he didn?t want to know what Leia was doing at that precise moment (closes down twin bond extraordinarily quickly and absolutely so he can?t feel Leia?s emotions).

Spot on ;) There are disadvantages to his being Leia's Jedi twin, especially when Han Solo is involved *cough cough* ;) [face_blush]

Yes, I got that from the novelisation. Lukie's characteristically modest. [face_love]

10. LumiKuningatar

LumiKuningatar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2003
    *stunned silence*

You finished it. And I loved the story..

*huge applauds and whistling*

11. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    Lumi: Yup, I finished it :D

Glad you liked it so much!!

12. Crazy_Vasey

Crazy_Vasey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2001
    Nice going, Cat. Are we going to get anything on what happens to Keitin after Endor?

13. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    Vasey: I have some ideas for a sequel, but I haven't started writing it yet.

14. jedi_keladry

jedi_keladry Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 25, 2004
    I'm such an ungrateful twerp.

Here I am, reading this lovely story, so happy with the happy ending, and I'm already dying for a sequel.

Love the little reference to Leia's words from the ANH novelization.

"I don't. I have a feeling I don't want to know."

This struck me as very funny, and I started laughing, a little uncertainly. The corners of Luke' mouth crinkled.

Isn't he just adorable?

15. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    Yes, he is, isn't he? ;)

16. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Perfect ending. Sad but hopeful. Loved the final image of the faces of her loved ones.

Luke laughed. "I'm sure it wasn't Tatooine."

"The new Republic started there, in a way," I thought aloud.

"Huh?"

I glanced pointedly at him. "I've heard the rumours."

"Oh, me-I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, as Leia says." He grinned self-consciously, and added, "And weren't we all?"
    Loved that bit. :)

Like JM I've also really enjoyed reading about an ordinary person without special powers. Great job.

I do hope you write another Keitin story. I like the way you left the Ari sub-plot hanging, too. Is there any chance he might pop up in the next story?

Keitin is a terrific OC. You've done such a good job with her. :)

17. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    Tahi: I do have some ideas for a sequel, but I haven't started writing it yet. And Ari will most likely be in iy :)

18. princess_meg

princess_meg Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    this is one of my favorite fics, and i usually am not a fan of the ocs, but yours is brilliant. I'm a little fascinated with how the Alderaanians dealed with what happened.

19. Mjsullivan

Mjsullivan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2003
    Well, I think i must win the award for most sporadic reader ever, but i finally just got to the end of your fic, AND:

I absolutely adored it.

Keitin is everything i really like about OC's - she's so very believeable, vulnerable, and interesting. You did such a good job with characterisation in this fic :D Both your canon and original characters were spot-on ;)

For some reason, i loved this part of the final post:

I looked at the starscape again, realising abruptly-"That isn't the Empire any more."

"No...I wonder, when the Republic began, did they think it would last so long-did they know what they were going to be responsible for?"

I thought about it. "Probably they were just people, who were worried about the baby teething and how their haircuts looked. As for where they lived-the Coruscanti would say Coruscant, the Corellians would say Corellia, and I of course say Alderaan."

Great way to bring everything down to the level-headedness of keitin :D This story is full of wonderful moments like that, and it's for that reason that it's one of my favourites!

Well done!

20. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    meg_rose: Glad you liked the fic! Did you find it via the SFFA voting thread?

mjsullivan: Hey, I'm a sporadic writer sometimes! ;)
    I'm glad you liked Keitin so much. It's a bit scary launching an original character into the world, because people tend to assume 'Mary Sue!'. Thanks for your compliments of my characterisation! :D

21. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Remember to vote for this story in the awards, people!!!! :)

Kicking the thread up again.

22. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
  23. Sock_of_Darth_Vader

Dec 24, 2002
    Hi, this is not exactly a sequel to this fic, but on another site, we had a challenge to keep an online diary for SW characters, and I picked Keitin. Her LiveJournal is at http://livejournal.com/users/keit_avram

24. Tahi

Tahi Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Great idea, Sock. I posted a comment at the site.

How are things going in your neck of the woods? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.