main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebel Pilots in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by sarlaccsaurs-rex, Mar 17, 2015.

?

Which Rebel Pilot do you want to see the most?

1. Wedge Antilles

54.8%
  2. Biggs Darklighter

21.4%
  3. Red Leader (ANH)

31.0%
  4. Jek Tono Porkins

40.5%
  5. Gold Leader Jon "Dutch" Vander

21.4%
  6. Dak Ralter

9.5%
  7. Zev (Rogue 2 ESB)

11.9%
  8. Other

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Depending on how things transpired between when we saw him in TCW, I wouldn't be surprised for him have some background in small fighter group tactics. I don't think it would be essential for us to see him in command of a squadron though. The more important part of Ackbar's history would be to be in command of a larger ship like a frigate or cruiser, then a battle group of cruisers or frigates. Think the modern naval equivalent of a cruiser leading a small battle group with a couple of frigates and cruisers. Like in the S1 finale, we saw three CR90's, the Ghost, and the Imperial transport ship. Seeing some progression towards him becoming the Admiral of the Rebel Fleet would be nice. I can only imagine his appearance accompanying a situation where the Ghost or Phoenix Squadron can't overcome the enemy, and need reinforcement from a larger rebel battle group.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006

Doubtful. Mon Cala wouldn't have lasted long if they tried to resist the Empire, and Ackbar likely wouldn't have survived.

3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    If the Mon Calamari were subjugated by the Empire shortly after the Republic reorganized itself as the Galactic Empire then how did they supply battle ships to the Alliance. Somehow this planet would have to be liberated, doesnt really make sense to still be under occupation and sending ships and warriors out - unless it was some off world colony fighting also to free their planet or something like that.

4. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015

In your opinion.

5. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Cool response.

6. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    Wedge is one of my all time favorite rebel pilots. So it would be nice to see him sometime in "Rebels" (although he still might be a bit too young at this point in the timeline). Some older veteran pilots like Garven Dreis or Dutch Vander would also be nice to see.

And can Sila Kott please show up in "Rebels"? But this time properly voiced buy a woman! :D

Toonimator and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  7. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    Ah yes... I remember, the wierd A-wing pilot gender ordeal. Classic star wars topic. :)

8. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Who says the Mon Cala were subjugated by the Empire? I thought that was nothing more than Legends, now... the Mon Cala were allied with the Republic. It may have been years before they realized how drastically different the Empire had become.

With someone like Ackbar in charge, they may have been able to put one over on the Empire and been able to create their ships--disguised as freighters or cruise ships or some such thing--and then gotten 'em out of space dock and equipped them with weapons. There could be a neat story behind Ackbar getting his troops and ships to rendezvous the Alliance without terrible reprisals... if they keep his whole "smugglers stink!" story (which I think may have already been referenced in HTTJ or the comics), it's possible his dislike of pirates & smugglers was extremely public knowledge... if the Mon Cala warships were disguised as civilian craft, they could've concocted a cover story about pirate raiders capturing a fleet of them to spare Ackbar's homeworld from Imperial punishment. Ackbar rants & raves about piracy, swears vengeance and sets off to find the pirates to put a stop to them, since the Empire was so reluctant to assist... and is never heard from again. The Empire chalks it up to a guy going off his rocker and meeting a sad fate, while Ackbar sweeps into Dantooine space (or whatever base they're at at the time) with a fleet of freshly-armed 'cruise ships' to aid the Alliance, the Imps none the wiser.

9. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014

You seem to be projecting...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mon_Cala

The Mon Cala were losing their own planet against the Quarren(who had prepared for war) and their allies the Separatists who were invading the planet at their leisure. Without the Quarren the Mon Cala were pretty much open season as they had no real well equipped standing military able to withstand an foreign invasion/occupation let alone a Quarren attack, they had a police/royal security force which was mostly wiped out during that battle which they nearly lost had it not been for the Clone Army, Jedi and Gungans and eventually the Quarren switching sides. The Mon Cala needed Republic military intervention, they had no surface defenses and armored vehicles , no military fleet that could go up against the Separatists even under water . So how well would the Mon Cala fair when up against that same well trained and armed Clone Imperial army , the answer is not very. Even non-Clone Imperials are still out there conquering and have to hold what they conqueror or what was conquered earlier, so they cant all be laughing stocks.

10. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Now who's projecting? Why would the Imperial Army go in to conquer them, if they weren't rebelling due to having a lackluster military?

I haven't read Tarkin yet, so perhaps that's where the canon mention of the Imperial Army subjugating Mon Cala comes from, but otherwise it seems based on the old EU notion that they were conquered, because back then Mon Cala wasn't even aware of the rest of the galaxy until the Empire came along, welcomed with open arms, and then the Empire decided to enslave them because "Hey, we're evil!"

That old story was basically trashed when the PT introduced Mon Cala and Quarren senators and the like, but my point is the system was part of the Republic, so unless they openly rebelled against the Empire there is no need for the army to move in and subjugate them. That's like the US army moving in to conquer Ohio right now. "We conquer you in the name of the United States!" "Um, we're already part of the United States."

11. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    You're still projecting as usual and your inability to accept a fact alludes you yet again.

Sometime after the Galactic Republic was reorganized into the Galactic Empire, Mon Cala was subjugated by the Imperial Army. This led the Mon Calamari to become a key species involved in the Alliance to Restore the Republic, supplying warships to the struggling Alliance Fleet.​
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mon_Cala

I'm going by canon, and I see no reason to doubt it, while you are pushing your speculation as fact and talking nonsense basically cause you want to believe something is a certain way personally.

Ryloth and Kashyyyk and other such examples of the Republic military(i.e. Empire in all but name) taking over the planet once the Separatists were defeated. The entire war was a ruse. The battles and wars of liberation and to restore the Republic and all military presences they left behind to ensure "keeping the peace" were lies to move in Sidious's true military forces onto various worlds. It also mimics Hitler's invasion of Poland, when he had his men disguise as Poles attacking Germans ( Gleiwitz and other such operations carried out by Nazi secret agents and provocateurs), earlier before the actual war Hitler would annexe entire nations because they had a German minorities or were former territories of the German Empire prior to WWI and he went largely unopposed and sometimes even heralded for his actions. Have you not read of False Flagging. It did not matter if some were already part of the Republic, others that were independent and others that broke away from the Republic(separatists). Most of the times the Droid armies where sent to into weaken and destroy a population's civilization(including its military and morale) then move in to fill the vacuum and to be ushered in as saviors to get people on the Republic(i.e. Empires) side. Or to leave those people calling or begging for Republic military intervention as the Separatists were sold as the evil doers(always committing atrocities, heinous crimes against humanity, genocide, ethnic cleansing, interment and work camps ect all the stuff the Empire later does themselves) while the Republic forces were supposed to be the good guys. Everything was done by design and under false pretenses that even tricked the Jedi. The war was about military colonization , occupation and expansionism and forming a dictatorship ruled by an elite few(The Emperor and his Military cronies as eventually even the Senators would be replaced by Military governors). The Romans used to send out military colonies, and if any of their colonies were attacked by natives, they'd invade , didn'tmatter whether Rome was still a Republic or a Monarchy, it was still an empire. We can see how the Empire also takes or assumes control by force and intimidation on Bespin and Lothal in OT era when the Republic is officially reformed into the Galactic Empire.

yeah, stuff like that happened, was called the American Civil War - the United States of America(The Union) conquering the Confederate States of America(Confederacy) which were secessionist former states of the United States of America who broke away.

With Star Wars there was always deliberate real world historical parallels.

whostheBossk likes this.
  12. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    What's going on...?

13. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Pulling examples out of our history to compare to SWU events. Any number of fascist governments can be used to see the similarities between that and the Empire.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Especially the Nazis

That's my go to to compare the empire with.

15. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    You're going by the canon Wookieepedia page, but where in canon is it stated that Mon Cala was subjugated by the Empire? All I'm speculating is that maybe the Empire didn't need to conquer Mon Cala for many, many years, like Lothal, like any number of worlds.

And your Civil War comparison is moot, as my example was about the military conquering Ohio, today, a part of the United States, while your example was about states that seceded to form their own nation. Mon Cala was part of the Republic, having defeated the Separatist forces, and thus became part of the Empire when the Republic was reorganized.

whostheBossk and jabberwalkie like this.