main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cincin, OH Rebel Recruiting...

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Exalted_1, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exalted_1

Exalted_1 Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    Let the Imperial draft commence!!!

Our RSA gave me some ideas on how we could get the word out about the Fan Force...

[from Jedi-runya:]
    I like to leave a flyer and business cards at the local comic/gaming/toys shops in town. Also here in St. Louis we have a free local paper, kind of a local's only paper...but they have free ad spots. You could look for something similar. Oh and don't forget leaving something at libraries, coffee shops and the like. And Of course, word of mouth. Bookstores are good for that too, Barnes and Noble, Borders. Get to know who stocks the SW shelves and the counter people. It is amazing how they get the word out for you!

I wish you all the luck. Oh and we put up a Myspace page, and that actually drew in 2 new people for us.

hehe, sorry, it would seem I am full of ideas. What I have wanted to do here, is visit all the bookstores with group members and remind them that we are here, possibly in costume. They will remember the geeks that way!

Christina

Any other thoughts or suggetions?

I'd like to hear them.

2. GeekGoddess

GeekGoddess Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Well, I was drawn into my E-ville club by accident. I actually went to Borders to meet with another group and I saw these guys in the corner with some really cool looking SW toys and books. Me being the type to check out all things I deem "shiny," I went over. Turns out I ran into the Book Club S.I.G. for the E-ville FF. They also have a Collectors Club S.I.G., and are now starting up a Costumes/Props/Models S.I.G.

Some of the things they'd done while I was there to draw in more members was:

A) Have a table at the most popular Comic Book store on Free Comic Day (and have members in costume if possible)

B) One guy put a bookmark flyer in every SW book in Barnes & Nobles and Borders. Could also do that with the SW books at the libraries.

C) We got with one of the local movie theaters and were able to have a table Opening night of Ep 3 with a sign up sheet and prize raffles, and they let us come back over the next week/weekend with our 501st guys in costume and hang out and pass out flyers. (even gave us free movie passes for doing it)

D) They are starting a MySpace page too.

E) We had our 501st guys at the local wal-mart, best buy, and toys'r'us whenever there was a major release of new toys or movie editions.

F) We had regular monthly meetings at the best Comic book store in the area. Jim (the owner) would give us one of the gaming tables up front from 4:30pm till whenever the Saturday of our meeting, and let us have a stack of flyers on the table.

G) See about being in a local parade. (In costume)

H) Have the college student members see about posting flyers on campus. We got a College Campus S.I.G. from doing this in E-ville. Also, maybe a FaceBook.com group as another student option.

I think membership possibilities will rise again once the TV show comes out too, and they start doing merchandise releases from that.

3. Exalted_1

May 17, 2002
    great ideas.

It seems we need to create an Identity for ourselves. a couple of years ago there were discussions about creating a Logo for the FF. A few were made, [I know, I made one] but nothing was done afterwards.

I gues it's time to change that.

I think we need to work on organizing ourselves before May so that we can properly recruit during Library event and afterward.

Once I get my ducks in a row, A new poll for logos will be made. If anyone gets and itch to make a logo, send the finished design to my email address. once I get enough [at least 3] I'll post them.

4. GeekGoddess

Feb 24, 2005
    Well here's a chuckle for you...
    This is the logo we came up with in Evansville....

[image=http://www.epicplastic.com/eville_banner.jpg]

Orange Barrels were a way of life. From the day I moved there until the day I left (6 years) they were constantly doing road construction on the main road/hwy thru town called the Lloyd Expressway (it was only supposed to be a 1-2 year project, and from what I understand, Expressways aren't supposed to have traffic lights) We (Evansville's bad roadwork planning) even made national news and had a segment on The Daily Show with John Stewart.

Basically, we just need something that reflects something of major local importance (or even an area joke - like e-ville's barrels).

Things I think of when I think Cincy Area (from an outsider perspective):
    * Gold Star / Skyline Chili (I have a long standing promise to take some with me whenever I go visit in E'Ville since we don't have thesein IN, except a Skyline in Indianapolis)
    * Frisch's (we don't have these in IN either, except maybe Richmond)
    * Bengals
    * Reds / Pete Rose (Gambling)
    * Zoo
    * River Attractions (Levee, riverboats, fireworks, ...)
    * Kings Island
    * Horse farms (good grief I didn't realize how many were in this region)
    * Big Butter Jesus
    * Buckeyes (the trees, nuts, and confectionary treats)

5. star-killer1

star-killer1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    combine some of your ideas:

how about a Pete Rose buckeye gambling in a Goldstar?

6. JasperMereel_

JasperMereel_ Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2006
    Hey guys, I have a suggestion. Is there a way to combine Dayton people? As of August 11, I will be living most likely in Miamisburg and have a feeling that there are probably some Dayton area people interested since the Dayton group disolved. I will be more than happy to make the trek out towards Cincy then, but thought I would suggest this.Also, I could hand out flyers and business cards out in the Dayton area when I move.

7. Exalted_1

May 17, 2002
    heck yeah!

The more the merrier!

But I don't think we should call ourselves "the Big Butter Jedi".

Or should we? :p :oops:

Actually, It was under discussion to rename us 'Greater Cincinnati Tri-force'.

But I think 'Queen City Jedi' would work well.

or maybe a Naboo theme? We Are the Queen City after all.

8. Z28Jerry

Z28Jerry Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2004
    I think a Cinncinnati metting with the remnants of the Dayton chapter should be organized somewhere of 75 (say between sharonville and middletown?) and a in-person group understanding would be reached to further our fun and increase our membership.

9. Exalted_1

May 17, 2002
    I agree. the trick is to get everyone together at the same place at the same time.

It has been said (though not originally by me) that if you want to do something bad enough, you make the time to do it.

My weekends are problematic unless you want to meet After 8pm. My job prevents me from attending sooner.

My 'off' days consist of taking care of my father, except for Thursday. Thursadys I am totally free. any other time of the week I am available after 8pm.

I am committed to attending any meeting we set up & to help others to attend as well as long as it doesn't interfere with Family or Job obligations. I made that promise to myself when I was given the job of Chapter Representative. As a CR I have a responsibility to The Fans of Star Wars in Greater Cincinnati and the Surrounding Area To bring them together to realize they are not alone and to have fun.

I owe them that much.

May the force be with you.

10. Exalted_1

May 17, 2002
    My scedule is fluxuating again...

I need a new Job. [face_frustrated]

11. GeekGoddess

Feb 24, 2005
    Job schedules can really suck sometimes. :( What's it looking like now?

12. Exalted_1

May 17, 2002
    I just gave them an updated schedule, but my "free" days will likely be mon. & wed. evenings after 5pm and/or saturdays & sundays after 8pm.

tuesdays & fridays I work till 1am.

I will have to wait and see if they honor my schedule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.