main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Rebel Rising: Jyn Erso YA Novel by Beth Revis

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jan 25, 2017.

1. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I am.

my kind of scum likes this.
  2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    [deleted]

Wrong thread

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, I'm looking forward to it. Star Wars YA books always have my interest.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ...actually funny story, turns out I just got this book and Guardians of the Whills today. Well then!

5. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh no!!! Jello double posted. I thought mods where supposed to set a good example, think of the children Jello, think of the children!!!!!!

Daneira likes this.
  6. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    None of that, now.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Bad Jello.

Revanfan1 and vncredleader like this.
  8. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Keep that up, Jello, and there won't always be room for you anymore! ;)

(Old school advertising reference, LOL)

vncredleader likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Let's, uh, not associate me with any Jell-O advertising. Or people who advertised Jell-O in the past.

Just saying.

Jedi Princess and vncredleader like this.
  10. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Wait.......oh sonnova!!! I honestly did not catch that that was the joke. I feel really dumb now. :oops:

11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I like Jell-o and Subway.

Despite both having some SEVERELY poor choices in spokesmen.

Stymi and vncredleader like this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Stymi

My answer would be because the book's not out yet - would expect this thread to get quite a bit of activity in about 2 weeks or so.

13. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Same day as Rebel Rising.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

Stymi likes this.
  14. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I guess. There's usually a good deal of pre-release talk and speculation.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    My preorder of both books (Guardians / Rebel Rising) might soon be on its way!

There is also, once more, the weird result of:
    • US hardback - due 2 May
    • UK paperback - due 1 June
    I've the hardbacks prebought of course, no idea how easily available the US editions still are for pre-order.

EDIT: In answer to @Stymi's latest post - sometimes yes, but on these they did one excerpt early and I think that was it, though I haven't kept an eye on the news. The absence of info could explain the lack of talk.

Having recently watched R1 on BR, it is a very smart move to issue these books within weeks of that coming out.

Stymi likes this.
  16. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    That WASN'T the joke.

The joke was that Jell-O used to have a slogan, "There's always room for Jell-O." That's why I said OLD SCHOOL advertising reference...

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I know that wasn't and I know that slogan. I'm just saying.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

18. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I know what the joke was. I did not eve catch that it was the old slogan.

19. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    Don't know if there is anyone from the publishers who comments here but in the UK you can only get the digital edition of this book on Kobo. And it costs more than the physical copy. Anyone know why that is so?

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So, I read this today, but with respect to the official release of 2 May I will keep it non-spoiler, save for one v.minor chronological detail; though, let's face it, anyone who's seen Rogue One knows how Jyn's story ends.
    If you want details, this covers what happened to Jyn between being picked up by Saw and ending up in the Wobani labour camp.

Rather, this is best seen as giving us further pieces of her story that we did not have before and it is very artistically done.

Revis' most impressive accomplishment is getting the balance right with Jyn: Scrappy, adversarial, cynical, sometimes obnoxious but never an acerbic arse that the reader turns against her. Revis makes Jyn's flaws work for her and that's harder than it sounds to pull off successfully.

This book covers a good amount of time and it is a substantive book. The cover design is excellent, the story rattles along at a good pace.

It was a damn good read, it was entertaining and I wanted to finish it, so for what I wanted, it delivered.

21. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Looking forward to it. Gonna delve right into this book as soon as I am finished with Thrawn.

22. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Good to hear! I saw the author at one of the panels at Celebration, and she sounded incredibly excited for people to read her book, and at how much she was able to flesh out Jyn's story. I'll have to add this one to the reading list.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. smisk

smisk Jedi Master star 2

Feb 16, 2015
    Does this read similarly to Lost Stars? Not sure if that was considered a YA book but I thought the prose was fine, didn't feel simplified at all. Also according to Amazon, Rebel Rising is 416 pages so it seems like it must have more depth than something like Weapon of a Jedi. Color me interested!

24. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    Chapters had this one on the shelves the weekend (No signs of Guardians of the Whills though, so that was kind of weird), so naturally I picked it up.

I gotta say initially, I was going to write this off as the first dud of the YA entries to Canon. Revis' writing struggles in the first act as she tries to cover Jyns childhood with Saw. Lots of telling when things could have easily been shown. Not to say there isn't important stuff to be found in the first act. Jyn's anger with her Father is really well presented and I immediately thought it worked well into the scene with the Holo message. Once Revis gets going, though, she sucks you in to Jyn's story. Act two allows Jyn to find love on her own, only to have that stolen away as well. Act three shows Jyn's capacity to keep going and survive, and how that is ultimately robbed from her as well. It ends up painting her life as this giant heartbreak, but manages to find the shred of optimism that the film ends up developing. The Book ends up serving Felicity and Forrest's performances so well that Rogue One feels richer for having the book available, so I definitely recommend checking this one out if you can, especially if you're a fan of Rogue One

25. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Ordered this on Amazon months ago along with Guardians of the Whills and here I am a day before it's release (UK) and I've yet to be given a delivery date.......[face_waiting]

Daneira likes this.