main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Rebel Rising: Jyn Erso YA Novel by Beth Revis

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jan 25, 2017.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, Lost Stars was YA and Weapon was not.

The writing style is closer to Lost Stars.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Revanfan1 and smisk like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You should have pre-ordered from Wordery or Book Depository.

3. Manny Bothans

Manny Bothans Jedi Master star 1

Jun 12, 2013
    This book is fantastic - Revis did a great job and once again proves that YA novels from Disney should not be treated with any less enthusiasm than "adult" novels from Del Rey. I enjoyed reading it 10 times more than Thrawn.

But I will say - it doesn't seem like Marvel had this book on their radar when they included a flashback to Saw's abandonment of Jyn in issue #1. They were so wildly different in every possible way, that no simple retcon or smug eye roll from Pablo can fix it.
    This is definitely the first major misstep in the story groups self-proclaimed seamless continuity.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That flashback in the adaptation seemed like a screwup to begin with, honestly.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So what I like about this novel is, like Catalyst, it helps me view the movie in a completely different novel. What Catalyst did for Krennic, Galen, and Lyra, this book did for Jyn. And that's the highest praise I can give it.

Well, no, maybe not. Its virtue isn't as a movie tie-in, that's unfair. But it's certainly a strength: it does the tie-in thing right, by giving insights.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    What's different about the flashback in this compared to Marvel?

7. Manny Bothans

Jun 12, 2013
    Without getting into spoilers - basically everything from location, outfits, characters, directions and actions.

In comparison, it would be like if the opening scene on Lam'hu in the comics took place on Tatooine and it involved Krennic, dressed as a bounty hunter, strangling Lyra to death in front of Jyn and Bail Organa. It's about that different.

8. Gudenruben2

Gudenruben2 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 10, 2014

This book probably takes priority canon-wise over the comic adaptation.

9. Manny Bothans

Jun 12, 2013
    Which is unfortunately the sort of statement we were never supposed to make under this new story group.

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, but it's one mistake in three years of storytelling. Three years with only one major snafu. That's pretty impressive, TBH, and I doubt it'll happen often. Things slip through the cracks, no matter how much people try to catch them. We have to accept them and move on. For goodness' sake, it's fiction. We'll survive.

11. Manny Bothans

Jun 12, 2013
    Don't start with that. Even if they cancelled Star Wars as an entire franchise we would all survive. I'm nitpicking about SW lit on a SW lit message board. This is exactly the place for it. No one claimed the sky was falling, and my observation and annoyance is valid despite your attempt to tell me otherwise.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I understand. And I never said this isn't the place for it. I'm just saying that honestly, while it is annoying, it's also understandable that between three publishing companies and only a handful of people on the Story Group, mistakes like this might just occasionally happen. And saying that we were "never supposed to" have to make statements like that is just wishful thinking.

But again, I do agree it's annoying. I just don't think it's anything worth being upset by.

13. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998

Don't think that scene depicted in the comic in any way needs to be the "final goodbye" scene. As presented, it's a general remembrance of her time with Saw, mixed with resent at his leaving.
    There's no in-scene dialogue in the scene depicted. It's a tonal mental image under text with her recalling being rescued and raised by him, in additional to not knowing where he is. It brings a jumble of memories of them together, and the scene depicted is not necessarily the final goodbye. It's a depiction of their life, not a moment in their life. At least, that's what I got by reading/looking at it. I think an issue is being made into something into something it doesn't need to be.

14. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    The Story Group never said there would never be any inconsistencies. Pablo has said that the SG is t an all powerful force that will prevent anything like this, and that some things might contradict in the future. Not on purpose, but by sheer scope. Although I'd like to hear Hidalgo's take on this, if only he answered questions still... I'm actually curious why he stopped.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    My guess? Because people just get mad at him when they don't like his answers, people try to pull 'gotchas' on him, people write big inaccurate and widely shared articles based on bad readings of his answers, and it's not part of his job description, and caused more frustration and grief than fun, which is what he uses Twitter for.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Story Group hasn't said books take priority over comics, and Pablo had spoken on this the last time it happened (TFA).

The idea was -- and I agree -- that there are different versions of the same story.

My take? It's like real history. These aren't video recordings. These are different portrayals of the same events.

Perhaps this comes easier to me, used to the classics where Virgil and Homer told different versions of the civil war, or Dio and Suetonius told different versions of the Julio-Claudian emperors.

Just sort of... relax and enjoy the ride. There are different versions of what happened. It's cool.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

17. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Ok I just started the book (very good read so far) and not yet to the point where Saw abandons her. However in regards to it contradicting the comic the comic is extremely vague about the incident.

Basically all it says is that it has been a long time. Saw saved her life and that he raised her and she hasn't seen him in years.

The explanation of the Jyn relationship with Saw in the comic consists of about one page and just a few sentences of dialogue.

That is slightly too vague to begin to start trying to call that a contradiction in my opinion. If the entire comic was about Saw abandoning Jyn and it did not match up with the book then I could understand people's objections to it. But not when the comic was as vague as it was.

18. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Really liked the expanded explanation and context of the Ancient Myth and Symbol of the Starbird. I just noticed the other day in the Rogue One Visual Guide that Chirrut had a very old altered Starbird medallion.

19. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Just finished the book. It seems so relentlessly sad.

The book refers to a refresher as a "bathroom" *the horror*

WebLurker and Charlemagne19 like this.
  20. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    [​IMG]

"NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

WebLurker likes this.
  21. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

22. JediFreac

Mar 7, 2002
    Yeah, I don't know about this whole bathroom thing. Maybe Pablo and Leland are asleep at the wheel.

There's also a Pokemon in this.

23. JediFreac

Mar 7, 2002
  24. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Personally, I'm super glad the mandatory SpaceyWords are gone. I liked getting to hear 'refresher' spoken aloud by Wedge Antilles on my TV in Rebels - more than I would have expected, actually - but I also like that you're also now allowed to just call a bathroom a k****ing bathroom.

CooperTFN, Jedi Princess and jasonfry like this.
  25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I, for one, never understood why Americans call "bathroom" a room that does not (necessarily) contain a bath tube or shower stall. :p So I like "refresher."