main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Rebel Rising: Jyn Erso YA Novel by Beth Revis

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jan 25, 2017.

1. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Agreed!

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Officially, a bathroom with just a toilet and sink is known as a "half-bath" (as opposed to "full bath")

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    These books are all to be seen as translations / re-tellings of super old stories anyway in a mythical past. Different storytellers just use different translation approaches. If it's legit in academia, it's totally legit in telling Star Wizard Stories.

Honestly, the circumlocutions to not use common English phrases in a lot of the old EU did more to take me out of the story than just using the word I would use (because I often had to stop the story in my own mind to translate within the text itself for a moment to understand what they were trying to do in the first place. Not great for immersion.)

4. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Hey, thanks for sharing. This is great.

5. ImperialEwok

ImperialEwok Jedi Padawan

Mar 16, 2017
    Seriously? there is a pokemon in it? Which one is now canon?

6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Wow this novel is great thus far. I never really liked Galen and especially after doing a commentary on the film I have more and more wished it had focused on Saw and Jyn's father/daughter relationship. To me another case of the secretly perfect or good birth parent who can do no wrong or was evil but is now good again cause love or whatever is getting old. Star wars seems to hate adoptive parents outside of Bloodline. To me the perfect pure Galen turning out to be pure the whole time and any mistake he made being indirect to the damage he caused and paying off in a positive way is not nearly as fascinating as the story of the adoptive father who never wanted to get close to anyone but did anyway and raised Jyn as best he could and made her into the hero he never could be. The scene when he talks about how Steela was his better half and how the Rebellion needs a martyr like her is fantastic and makes me really really wish the line "your father would be proud" was about Saw and not Galen. Galen being proud she did the right thing and it paid off like how everything he did paid off is fine but the flawed father who did terrible things directly, made bad choices, and left Jyn behind willingly and clearly hates himself for it every waking moment, being proud that she become the hero he always thought she could. Jyn saved the rebellion, saved the dream and saved Saw's legacy. That is more impactfull to me than Jyn's altruistic father who ended up fixing all his mistakes directly and was secretly perfect being proud of her. I don't hate Galen but I see this more complicated and honestly more touching father/daughter story right there and this novel seems to agree that that is a fascinating relationship. The scene when Saw thinks she is talking about him when she says her father taught her to pay attention to details is just heartbreaking. I care more about the genuinely flawed man who sold his soul, trying to make sure his daughter will have a better life than him.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

Hint: its pokedex number is 1.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. ImperialEwok

ImperialEwok Jedi Padawan

Mar 16, 2017
    That's not a hint, that's an answer lol.

I am really curious to the context for including this. My copy isn't set to come until Saturday :(

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, it's not quite an answer because I didn't specify which Pokedex.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
  11. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Interestingly, Rebel Rising's account of Jyn's arrest is entirely different that the one we previously had. Different location, crime, etc.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I don't believe we had a previous account of her arrest, did we?

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    From Jyn article on the Wook: In 0 BBY,[7] Jyn's luck ran out on Corulag. Under her Liana Hallik alias, she had planned a scheme against the world's "petty dictator" that involved blowing up his ship and stealing the guns in his possession.[5] The crime failed and she was arrested.[6] The dictator had her dragged through the streets and locked in holding, with the stormtroopers using the most brutal treatment allowed, such as pointing rifles at her and using stun prods.[5]

It was explored in limited detail in the RO novelization and Rebel Dossier.

vncredleader likes this.
  14. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    there are quite a few changes between versions in this novel. Did not know about the arrest though.

15. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Read this all today, it was good in the YA mold that it was always going to occupy. I liked seeing how Jyn evolved into herself from Rogue One. If you wanted to get a better sense of where her headspace is at, this is a good read,

Rogue One novelization though, yeah that too

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Guess there are multiple stories about Rebel hero Jyn Erso and nobody knows which are true and which are exaggerations and which are made up.

17. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Yeah, I wrote most of that section on the Wook. Talk about work down the drain. ;)

Long story short, the Rebel Dossier book has a brief report that says Jyn was arrest on Corulag, with no other detials beyond her being transferred to Wobani after that. The novelization, when it picks up with Jyn in the prison (an expanded version of the scene from the movie where she's in the jail cell), she's thinking over how she was caught (which was the scheme against the dictator). So, unlike Rebel Rising's version, we never see it happen "for real," nor does it really affect the novelization that much (you could dismiss it as a typo or replace it with a summary of the Five Points System incident and the novelization would still be the same, for all practical purposes).

While the Rebel Dossier's version could be retconned as bad intelligence (and even the book itself makes a point of saying that the Rebels have incomplete data on Jyn's life between being left by Saw and winding up in Wobani -- probably to allow future writers more freedom), my guess is that the Wook is going to eventually replace the novelization's version with the Rebel Rising one. After all, novelizations are already pretty squishy in terms of accuracy to the rest of the franchise.

It would be interesting to know how the discrepancy came about. (interesting to note: on the Reddit thread that Beth Revis was taking questions on, as linked to earlier in the thread, she says that she read an "early version" of the novelization to prepare for her book.)

Gudenruben2 likes this.
  18. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm not sure there is a contradiction between the novelization and Rebel Rising. I don't have either in hand, but here's the relevant section of the novel from one of the online previews:

"Jyn had been at the Empire’s mercy before. Sometimes she’d even deserved her troubles— she couldn’t blame some petty dictator ordering her dragged off the street and slammed into holding when she really, truly was planning to blow up his ship and steal his guns. She’d had rifles pointed at her, felt stun prods deliver jolts to her spine, and generally suffered the worst a stormtrooper was authorized to deal out. What made her circumstances different now was that, for the first time, Jyn had no escape route. No partners outside the prison walls waiting to bust down the doors; no in with a greedy security officer she could promise (lying or not) to pay off; not even a knive she could hide where the guards wouldn’t find it. She’d run out of friends.
    She’d come to Wobani Labor Camp alone. She expected to die there that way and, very likely, it wouldn’t take long at all."

It could be read either way, but it certainly sounds more like the incident was just an example of something she'd experienced before, when she still had allies and friends available to her--during her time with Saw seems most likely, given that it's a mission against an Imperial dictator. Unless the novel refers to it again, it looks like the issue lies with the Rebel Dossier book interpreting this passage as the incident that led directly to Jyn's arrest--which could simply be read as mistaken intelligence, as WebLurker pointed out. Generally, Rebel Rising seems to work very well indeed with the details of the novelization.

TC

19. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And which are Legends...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vncredleader likes this.
  20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  22. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Well that was interesting as hell. I didn't know that. Obscure as ****. Well done!

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

vncredleader and CooperTFN like this.
  23. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Oh wow that's cool. I love how we keep taking old rebel characters and making them RO character's aliases

24. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

TalonCard,

I like that theory for reconciling the two books a lot. Didn't think of that. Next time I log into the Wook, I'll made a point of suggesting that this be considered a way to keep both incidents in continuity. (In actuality, on re-reading the novelization, it does sound more like Jyn is thinking about a past incident than the chain of events that led to her winding up here. It would also make some sense if it was two separate incidents, given, that, as you pointed out, the two books otherwise fit together.

Funny thing about the Rebel Dossier is that it never describes what Jyn was arrested for, just the planet it allegedly happened.

TalonCard likes this.
  25. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Hmm, did the dictator-Corulag connection come from either book, or did that just stem from the assumption that one source could be read as the events leading to her arrest, and the other gave the planet she was arrested on?

TC