main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Rebel Rising: Jyn Erso YA Novel by Beth Revis

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jan 25, 2017.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

The latter; the novelization described the dictator incident, but didn't say where it was (much less if it actually was what got her arrested in this case, although, as you said, it could be read as such), and the Dossier just said she was arrested on the planet without explaining why.

2. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Got to the end of the stuff with Saw and the end of the stuff with Hadder and ugh I am really disappointed with how much the later half of the novel falls apart. It just becomes a stereotypical young adult novel and Hadder and his mom and not very interesting, it really adds nothing to the story that was not already there, and Jyn herself felt out of character and becomes less interesting to me. It felt like the novel was meant to end with Saw leaving her but then it just keeps going. I am supposed to care when Hadder dies but I did not buy Jyn's bond to this family cause it felt so standard and they just told me they mattered to her more than earning emotional weight.

Jyn feeling betrayed by Reese and then by Saw has far more weight and hit me in a place, but then we mostly drop that for a dull romance and then Jyn mourning those characters who are not super compelling. The first half was so densely packed with character, personality, great themes, and great conversations about the nature of revolution. But then suddenly it becomes very standard and just boring. Given how much if LOVED that first half and the bond between Jyn and Saw and how they worked to make Jyn into a great character and gave her a distinct personality and then that all leaves. What's sad is even in the future stuff she feels in character. it is like the early years of her life and her mid 20s she is consistent but in the middle she feels off.

This book was shaping up to be my favorite, but now I would honestly put the last two Aftermaths over it even.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Just finished it. It was a good book. The first part being very good in my opinion. The second half in all honesty seemed a bit rushed though. Characters were continuously coming in and out of the story very quickly and it seemed like the author was just trying to tie in all the plot points that the movie brought up about her past while Jyn was talking to Mon Mothma and Cassian.

Like others have said though it does a great job of fleshing out Jyn's backstory.

Also about the various different stories about Jyn being captured it really seems like they very easily could be talking about the same event. Just the Rebel Dossier and the movie novelization has very vague references to it while this book is a lot more clear and descriptive about the event.

vncredleader likes this.
  5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Has anyone from the UK actually got a physical copy of this book, I've tried on three separate occasions to order this and the guardians book only for Amazon to completely screw up on my delivery!

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Wordery / Book Depository - come on, take the hint!

Sinrebirth and Helrot like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapters 1-3:

I'm really interested in this book, given that Jyn is one of my favorite characters in Star Wars and probably my favorite character in the new canon along with Hera and Finn. And I have been wanting to know what happened to her from the time Saw found her to the time of Rogue One.

Holy hell this is depressing to begin with though; I'm trying to imagine a recently orphaned child being told "I don't know what to do with you, kid" and having to live off GFFA Muscle Milk. That's OK, though, because it's not like it's a surprise that Saw is not the most nurturing person in the world and there is no way that Jyn's story could NOT be depressing in the immediate aftermath of what happened to Galen and Lyra. And it is obvious that Saw cares about Jyn in his own way.

So...overall good opening.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The most depressing part is that she used to have a really plush apartment on Coruscant and would have had the best education the galaxy could afford, but her selfish parents took that away from her.

:p

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Deploy the Jello GIF.

10. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Jello gif inbound.

[​IMG]

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapters 4-6:

The situation with Galen is just really bad all around, meaning the misunderstanding. I did not have a clear picture from either Rogue One or the novelization as to why Jyn thought her father was a "*******". If she thinks he is on Coruscant of his own free will and has not bothered to come get her--and Saw seems to believe that as well--it's no wonder.

I can't decide right now if Saw really does believe it or if he's just covering to get her to stop asking questions.

Not too terrible a hurt/comfort scene when he let her rage and beat him up though.

Jedi Ben and vncredleader like this.
  12. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I am 100% certainly Saw actually believes it. He seems to really care about Jyn at this point and based on the evidence and his reaction it seems he really is disgusted in Galen and feels terrible for Jyn.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapters 7-12:

So we're seeing Saw's rebel cell form under Jyn's nose with Jyn being little the wiser. We're also seeing a softer side of Saw.

The scene in which the rebels asked Jyn to join their drinking party was good, although the idea of fermented bantha milk is not.

I thought the wiring of the detonator was a good lesson, as was Staven's talk with her afterwards.

"Jyn Gerrera." She and Saw should have gone with that from the beginning.

vncredleader and Nickname320 like this.
  14. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Anyone think this book is just...ok? I'm a little underwhelmed. Interested moments...but the book doesn't sustain my engagement.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

darthcaedus1138 and Nickname320 like this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Quite the contrary, TBH. I've read the first 175 pages in two nights. I can't put it down. Thrawn, a fantastic book, took me about a week to read. I expect to be done with Rebel Rising in another night or two.

16. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I didn't love Thrawn as much as most...but I was into the whole time...if that makes sense.

For me, Rebel Rising is one of my least favorite NEU books. And it's not YA genre thing. Lost Stars was really great, IMO. I also felt Ahsoka was quite good.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

17. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I had the exact same feeling and read through the first 200 pages fast, but after that is really really slows down and drops in quality. I still love it but it sadly lasts 200 pages longer than it should have.

Nickname320 likes this.
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Huh. I guess we'll see if I feel the same once I'm done. So far, though, it's an A+ book.

vncredleader likes this.
  19. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Honestly the first half is the best book in the new eu in my opinion.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapters 13-18:

I could see the mission to Inusagi getting twisted as propaganda to support the Empire. As asinine as it was that the Empire turned a festival into an occasion to announce the appointment of a new Imperial governor--and that governor's "sit down, sweetheart, important men are talking now" attitude towards the chieftess--Saw really was using a sledgehammer to kill a house fly.

Not that this is any surprise with the Saw that we have come to know. I had hoped that this book would elaborate a little more on how he got that way, aside from the brief mention that "Steela's death did it." I feel like I might need to watch the Onderon episodes again.

With what happened to Jari, everyone might be tiptoeing around him at this point. Not sure how Saw determined Jari betrayed anyone or if he's just making an example out of him.

vncredleader likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapters 19-24:

Why am I not surprised at Reece? That was quite the set-up there. I am surprised that he got past Saw.

And we have the scene in which Jyn got dumped. It did not play out quite like I expected it to, particularly with Jyn seeing "the love in his eyes." And his being so badly injured.

This line stood out: "Sometimes with Saw's missions, it didn't feel like fighting the Empire, it just felt like fighting." Disney LFL has done a good job showing the Rebellion doing questionable acts, but Jyn's experience in the Imperial prison really demonstrates that the Empire are still unequivocally the bad guys.

"Except the stormtroopers. Saw was much more at home bashing helmets together than trotting behind them, pretending to work for the Empire." LOL, I do like Saw despite what he did. And he should have recruited Zeb.

Glad to see Jyn's hacking and coding skills getting put to good use in her escape.

vncredleader and Jedi Ben like this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Chapters 25-30:

So Jyn gets taken care of for a little while on a planet and in a home that was really pleasant to read about. I like Akshaya, and Hadder, and the budding relationship between them.

Jyn may be a bit quick on the draw though, between her refusal to give up her knife and her reluctance to give up her blaster. And her reaction to Beck's appearance, although on some level that was understandable.

The addiction story coming from the pilot's disease was sad, an interesting take on addiction in the GFFA.

Saw, in his own gruff, extremely cynical, refusal-to-attach-himself way, seemed to love her, at least as much as he could. It's hard to know how to react to "I'm not coming from you but I wanted to know that you're alright."

Blue 5 likes this.
  23. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    I'm reading and enjoying the heck out of this novel. About to start Chapter 27.

If anyone is thinking about getting it but hasn't yet, don't wait. It's very good.

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Started reading this last night!

Already 85 pages into it - I had to put the book down as I have an interview to prepare for tomorrow but all I want to do is sit down and read it, it's awesome!

Jabba the Hud, Helrot and Blue 5 like this.
  25. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    Very good and makes Jyn's death in Rogue One even more tragic. A brilliant and capable woman who had the misfortune of being born in the wrong time period.