main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Rebel Yell (OC Lens, Shortaka, Ben S.) Chart Hits Challenge response

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by brodiew, Feb 9, 2017.

1. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Title: Rebel Yell
    Author: brodiew
    Timeframe: Pre LOTF era
    Characters: OC Lens Eli, Ben Skywalker, OC Wookie Shorntaka
    Genre: Humor
    Summary: Lens and friends go swimming after hours.
    Notes: Entry in the Chart Hits Challenge. My song was 'No.' by Meghan Trainor

It was an unwritten rule that there is no swimming in any of the fountains in Room of a Thousand Fountains. In the mind of Jedi initiate Lens Eli, any unwritten rule is open for interpretation. And, by interpretation, he meant testing.

It wasn’t the largest fountain that Lens chose for his test. In fact, it was relatively small. What drew Lens to this fountain was the fact that is was named for the Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn. Jinn was known as a wise Master, always seeking the will of the Living Force. That was all well and good, but it was Jinn's defiance of the Jedi Council that enamored the young initiate. From what Lens could determine, the respected Master always had a good reason when he went against instructions. So did Lens...from a certain point of view.

[I don't think this is a good idea,] mewled Shortaka the Wookie, the second of Lens' best friends. The first was none other than Ben Skywalker, the son of The Grandmaster of the Jedi himself.

"Of course it isn't," added Skywalker, patiently. "Lens came up with it."

[Then, what are we doing here?] droned the Wookie.

"Sometimes, Lens' bad ideas have a silver lining," defended Skywalker.

“I'm right here, you Mynocks", Lens interjected. "Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Lens had chosen a time that he thought the room would be most deserted, though Jedi came to meditate at all hours. Master Jinn's fountain was located near the sparring arenas, which were seldom used in the middle of the night.

"Now or never," Lens whispered as he left the safety of the corridor and nonchalantly walked over to the edge of the fountain. Removing his tunic and pants, Lens was left in thigh length, tight fitting undergarments. Placing a hand into the water, he frowned. The water was cold. Really cold. If he didn’t get in, he would lose face with his friends. If he did get in, he knew the consequences might be greater. He shrugged. No one had ever called Lens Eli a quitter. After a brief survey of the area, Lens waived Ben and Shortaka to the fountain.

[What were you frowning at?] asked Shortaka, skeptically, peering into the pool.

“Not a thing,” Lens replied, dismissively. “Are you two ready to do this thing?”

Shortaka dipped his hand into the fountain and growled: [I’m not going in there!]

“And, why not?” Lens said. “Where’s all your Wookie bravado?”

[My Wookie pride will remain intact if I walk away right now. This was supposed be fun swim, not a Hoth ice fishing expedition. I’m out.]

Lens turned to Ben with pleading eyes and jerked his head toward the irritated Wookie.

Ben started, unsure what to say, and blurted. “I dare you, Shorty!”

[Dare me?] Shorntaka, responded incredulously. [Is that supposed to mean something to me?]

“It means that it was bad enough when you lost the bet about Master Streen’s age, but do you really want it to get around that you were afraid of a little cold water?” Lens added, threateningly.

“Yeah, that,” Ben agreed, readily.

[I would think that my refusal to jump into a pool of freezing cold water would be see as wisdom, not folly. Are you saying you’ll blackmail me, Lens?]

Lens shook his head in mild frustration. “All I’m saying, Shorty, is that the circumstances have changed. It was going to be a lazy dip in the fountain. Now, it is a challenge. Jump in. Jump out. If all three of us do it, it’s just another bond we’ll have.”

The Wookie stared at him blankly.

“He has a point,” Ben said, smiling encouragingly.

[You realize that I have much more hair than the two of you. I will be colder, longer. Ben, where is your backbone, your fortitude?]

Ben shrugged. “My fortitude will show by jumping in the fountain, Shorty. How about you?”

The Wookie frowned at his red headed friend.

[Yes man.]

“Walking carpet.”

Shortaka returned to edge of the fountain and removed his bandolier. Without warning, he leaped over the edge and splashed into to frigid water. He submerged completely and stayed under for a five count. He then shot back to the surface bellowing cringe inducing Wookie battle call. Inspired by their friend’s display, Lens and Ben leaped into the found and each did their own five count. Each also emerged beating their chests and giving their own battle calls. When the crescendo ended the three initiates opened their eyes and began shivering. The shivering was partly due to the icy water and partly due to the dour looking Jedi Master standing before them.

Corran Horn shook his head and did his best not to crack a smile. The initiates were breaking the rules, but it was a sight that he would not have wanted to miss. In his hand was a gold plated plaque, with bold black lettering. He raised it to his chest so the young students could read it.

‘NO SWIMMING’.

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Excellent story, dialogue, and characterisations.

If I had to find fault, it would be to point out that none of the three did any swimming, so why show them the 'no swimming' sign?

You could recover this with: Horn knew the initiates had not done any actual swimming, but he did not have a 'No Submerging and holding your Breath' signs to hand.

10/10

A Blind Prophet and Kahara like this.
  3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, it's been ages since I read a piece featuring Lens and co.! This was the best possible story to log on and see posted today. [face_love]

This was just plain fun to read - first off, I liked seeing these fountains play a part in a new generation of Jedi and their antics. Having the teenagers be, well, teenagers before they take on the full mantle of Jedi is refreshing - and I think that Coran thinks so too. Even if his sign is a little late. :p (Bonus points for it being Qui-Gon's fountain. Because of course. [face_mischief])

But, the best part of this was the bantering between friends. You have a knack for dialogue, as always, and I could hear all three voices distinctly. Poor Shorntake! All that fur! [face_laugh]:oops: I was actually hoping, for a moment, that he'd be the voice of reason and walk away. But there was a dare. So, I suppose I understand. At least this will be, as Lens so sagely put it, quite the endearing memory down the line. [face_love]

Excellent, as always, brodie! =D= :)

A Blind Prophet, Sith-I-5 and Kahara like this.
  4. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Great story and love the "No Swimming" sign.

5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    It totally and absolutely makes sense to use the name of a Billy Idol song for a vignette inspired by a Meghan Trainor song. I said blue M&Ms, red M&Ms, they're all the same colour in the end...

Anyway, this story is super-clever. Bathing in the fountain named after a rule-breaker who was not QUITE a rule-breaker is saying a lot about Lens. :D Sometime one has to dive in the cold water and take risks.

Thanks for taking part in the Chart Hits Challenge. :)

6. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    really enjoyed that brodiew, as always you have a great sense of humor. lens eli seems like the kind of character i'd definitely like to see more of, but i suspect most of it's lost to the cutoff of the boards. hope you bring him out more, since you're dipping your toes back into this.

the sign was a great touch, i have to say. and that is so how corran would react to that situation. i'd say he was a good choice to be the one to find them.

also, let me say, interesting interpretation of the song no, i have to say. don't think i'd have ever thought to take it somewhere like this. give your muse a cookie for this one.

and let me officially say, welcome back. ;)

Kahara likes this.
  7. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Sith-I-5: Thanks for reading, Sith-I-5. I appreciate it, and the suggestion. True there was no official swimming, but they were in the water which can be equated as swimming. ;)

Mira_Jade: Thank you for stopping in, Mira. I am always blessed by your reviews. You may see more of Lens and company soon. But not in my Dare Challenge. You are right about Corran. Part of him recognizes the brotherhood aspect of such foolishness. You know I love the banter. Gotta play to my strengths. :D Shortaka is usually the voice of reason, but it usually has consequences. :p

RX_Sith: Thank you, RX_Sith!

Ewok Poet: Thanks for the review, Ewok Poet. To tell the truth, I never considered Billy Idol when choosing the title. Too funny that it works. Yes, Qui-Gon was a wise master and always had a good reason when he butted heads with the council.

A Blind Prophet: Thank you for stopping in ABP! I'm glad that Lens made an impact. There a few links that haven't been truncated. If you're interested, I'll send them your way. I like Trainor's song, but I ended going with the word no rather than a more direct interpretation.

Kahara, A Blind Prophet and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    brodiew sure, i'd be more than happy to see what you have that isn't cut to ribbons. and so i see, i'm still curious about the little bit that i got to see before, so if you end up doing anything with that tag me pls.

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.