main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY Rebellion Ruckus Room (Official Social Thread)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Doc_Bev, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    http://www.eternalimage.net/st_page.html [face_skull][face_hypnotized]

2. Doc_Bev

Doc_Bev Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2003
    Happy Halloween folks! [face_pumpkin]

We'll be out in costume at our house again this year. Folks are welcome to stop by if they'd like.
    Darren even had the teller at the bank asking if we'd be doing a Star Wars theme again this year as her kids always look forward to it.

~Doc_Bev

3. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    I'm about ready to go with co-workers to the Pediatric patients' Halloween parade and trick-or-treating here at Strong, dressed as a Renaissance woman giving out some of the Halloween toys and jewelry Tom picked up earlier this year that we didn't know what to do with, since many of the kids can't have candy. [face_pumpkin]

4. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Wow. I was pleasantly surprised with the activity we have been seeing in our PaperBackSwap accounts last month. Probably everyone was looking for ways to save on presents this holiday season. Last night I was very shocked with www.BookMooch.com. It seemed every book in the first box I entered was on 1-3 people's wishlist; then I hit our duplicate Star Trek books. But even there were a few on someone's wishlist. Before I finished I had 1 request pending and found 2 more this morning (1 was ST) - all in the USA. :) Unfortunately, most of the books I am interested in are in Japan, Peru or Australia. [face_thinking] Oh well, with 13 points and 3 books to send in such a short timeframe, this could be interesting.

5. RogueSquadronWingnut

RogueSquadronWingnut Jedi Master star 4

Apr 7, 2002
    Ok...explain this book site to me?

6. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    I just joined my 4th book swapping site a week or so ago.
    They all run a bit differently, but essentially you enter into the site the books that you'd like to trade.
    You get points once people request those books from you. You can then use those points to select book that you'd like from the vast lists on the site.
    The only cost for this is the postage to mail out the books that are requested from you. Which will probably run you $1.75-$2.50 a book.

Here are the sites I'm on:

www.paperbackswap.com
    Advantage to this one is that hardcovers and paperbacks are only 1 point each. So sometimes it's possible to trade an unwanted paperback for a hardcover you'd like instead.

www.titletrader.com
    Advantage to this one is that you can list anything on here - books, music, DVDs, software, toys, etc and there's some ability to set the amount of points you'd like to receive in return for an item. And sometimes you can bargain and if you ask for multiple items you can offer less points than what they were asking.

www.bookmooch.com
    Advantage to this one is that you get partial points just for listing things. Also, this one (unlike the others) is international so in some cases you can get bonus points if you're willing to pay the expense to ship books out of the country (which is sometimes 4x the cost of shipping them domestically).

www.swaptree.com
    This one is a bit different from the other 3 in that there are no point systems. It's all 1-to-1 (or sometimes a 3-way) trade, so someone out there has to be interested in something you'd like before you can trade for anything. So far though I've traded 2 duplicate paperbacks for hardcovers so I'm liking it so far.

~Doc_Bev

7. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Tomorrow night, Richard Dolan from UFO Hunters will be speaking at Brighton Town Hall at 7 p.m.. Admission is $4. Diane and I are going.

8. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Hi all,

Just a heads up that I posted a lot of duplicate Star Trek and Star Wars books this weekend on Paperback Swap and Book Mooch including hardcovers. My screen name is DaboDar.

9. Modernism

Modernism Jedi Master star 1

Feb 19, 2003
    Hello Friends - It's been a long time since I've been around here but I'm writing this post as a SHAMELESS PLUG. I just saw the movie Outlander at Movies 10 and I really liked it. I know someone who was involved with it and I wanted to give it a plug here. If anyone is interested, check it out. It's about a spaceship that crash lands in a Norwegian Fjord and the surviving pilot who gets involved with a local Viking clan.

let me know what you think!!! Hope you guys are all doing good. I saw some of you on the Webster Public Library website where Darth Vader got a Library Card. Hmmm, wonder what he reads?? Jedi Hunting for Dummies? Chicken Soup for the Tortured Soul?
    - Carol

10. T_StarFlyer

T_StarFlyer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2004
    welcome back to the boards Carol

11. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Hey! A co-worker and I saw Outlander on Saturday night. There were a lot of actors we recognized in it, so we were surprised that it opened at the dollar theater. It was fun to watch, but a bit on the violent/gory side. We've seen a lot worse films open in regular theaters. Who do you know that worked on it? I hope it does well.

12. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Hi Carol!
    Glad to see you on the boards here!

~Doc_Bev

13. Modernism

Modernism Jedi Master star 1

Feb 19, 2003
    Hi Everyone. Good to be back around here. Actually I know the director of Outlander - he is from Rochester. There was only a very limited release run on the first release of Outlander. Now I guess it's in the secondary market or whatever and that's why Movies 10 picked it up. I thought it was good and enjoyed it.

14. DarSolo

Aug 26, 2004
    Outlander reminded me of Beowulf or Thirteenth Warrior with a hint of Lord of the Rings and Predator thrown in. We enjoyed it especially the characters Wulfric, Kainan, Freya, and Rothgar.

15. wookie_cookie

wookie_cookie Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2001
    Hi guys and gals!
    My boyfriend Warren and I will be in NY from April 16-23. Emily will be coming in from Kansas too but she leaves on the 21st.

If you guys have a meeting on the 19th we would like to come. We have plans to go to the Strong Museum afterwards and Eastview Mall.

See you guys soon!

16. Doc_Bev

Jun 28, 2003
    Yes, we should have a meeting on the 19th.
    I told Wes and his Dad we would as it had been a while since we were able to get over there.

~Doc_Bev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.