main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 1.05: "Rise of the Old Masters" Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 17, 2014.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Yes someone could go into rebels and not need to see any other star wars but it would help to.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think it would help to see the OT first, but hell, the OT is the foundation of Star Wars, and why would anyone watch any other Star Wars without seeing the OT first?

3. SpaceToast

SpaceToast Jedi Padawan

Nov 17, 2012
    From a storytelling perspective yes, from a marketing perspective no.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Wait, what happened to Todd the Zombie?

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Snickers satisfies.

7. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Darth Vader start Force Choking everything in sight and throws Storm Troopers around .

Tarkan: Vader eat a Snickers.

Vader: Why?

Tarkan: Because you are not yourself when your hungry.

*Vader eats Snickers and changes into Anakin*

Tarkan: Better?

Vader: Better.. this way my limbs are still here!

[Disclaimer: SNICKERS does not promise limbs will grow back from eating a Snickers bar.]

8. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    Just watched this yesterday (first UK airing) and really enjoyed it. I've not seen any of The Clone Wars season's 1-5 yet so don't really know much about Luminara Unduli but that relative lack of emotional attachment did not affect how odd and moving I found the detention block scene.

Having said that I did just have to read Filoni's recent interview and explanation of the twist to truly understand what was happening (I think Kanan knowing something was not right even thought he could sense it was "her" actually threw me off too).

As others have said a little bit too fast paced for me, I think it wanted a more solemn/measured tone but I get that this is a 22 minute animation and there's a lot of exposition, action, and character interaction/development to fit into these early episodes.

I genuinely felt a sense of tension and peril when The Quiz was relentlessly pursuing (a la Yul Bryner in Westworld).

Good stuff, onwards and upwards! :cool:

Senator Kelberry likes this.
  9. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm no network executive, but I'm not sure why they have to stick to 22 minutes vs a 47 minute hour long show. My assumtion is it would require double the production time and double the cost. Also possibly the attention span of kids and fitting it in their programing window. But if you think about it TCW switched to that model. At the end almost every 3 to 4 episodes was a whole story arc. And IMO, those were the best because they didn't have to pump out a bigining, middle and end in 22 minutes. 4 22 minute episodes give you an almost 90 minute movie. That's why I think this show needs to be an hour (40ish minutes). 22 doesn't give you enough time.

KeithyT likes this.
  10. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I've just started doing Amazon Instant for the show, i was doing iTunes before but they won't play on my PS3 (damn Apple). The nice thing about Amazon is I can watch it on the iPad or PS3. Also, they updated the Spark of Rebellion download to include the Vader scene, and you don't have to repurchase.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I've been meaning to rewatch since they updated.

I watch on my Roku. I watched Droids in Distress on my iPad because it was free, but I don't want to do that all the time.

Senator Kelberry likes this.
  12. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Again showing my age, but I have cable, but at least I DVR it so I can speed past commercials,

whostheBossk likes this.
  13. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Yeah that's a decent setup also. They have an Amazon Instant App on iPad if you ever need to watch on there without repurchasing. Also... death to traditional cable!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have the Amazon Instant app on my iPad but I'm not sure I've ever used it. I keep it for when I'm traveling and want to access my content.

15. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I have been DVR the series. I actually have Disney XD (little did I know) so that makes it convenient.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I just watch them on my computer.

17. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    Watched it yesterday...

+ It is so awesome to have a Paun Inquisitor
    + The Inquisitors lightsaber - so unique.
    + PT elements such as Luminara and the Stygeon.
    + Zeb and Chopper making Ezra's training even more difficult - pretty funny.

- Luminara was already dead, if she had been alive to be killed by the Inquisitor it would have given the story some well needed strengthening.
    - No reference to the Darth Maul SOD comic, that would have been such an easter egg.
    - The episode felt too light in tone for breaking in to a really secure prison. (TCW Citdadel and Stygeon arcs had a much more appropriate tone.)

Hopefully we get to see Imperials being more effective later on in the series, we need to see some random executions from the Empire and some temporary allies for the crew that can be killed off. Let the audience understand why the crew have to run from the Empire.

Kato Sai likes this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    SeparatistFan The difference between this and the Citadel arc was the intent of those in charge of the prison. The Separatists were very opposed to anyone breaking in, let alone freeing prisoners.

The Ghost crew, OTOH, was allowed to enter the prison as part of the Inquisitor's trap. Notice security increased tenfold after the trap had been sprung. The idea was to get them in with just enough opposition to make it not look easy, then either kill or capture them once they're inside.

As for SOD, the Mandos didn't really have a lot of opposition to face either, since Sidious wanted Maul to escape, so he could lead him to Talzin.

SeparatistFan likes this.
  19. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    Gen Rendar Reviews:

Today's Episode - Starwars Rebels: Rise of the Old Masters(Season 1 - Episode 3)

Overall Impressions:
    Well this is the big one we were all waiting for; we finally see the Inquisitor introduced. Pretty great episode all around, and paced really well. I actually saw this episode a week ago, but rewatched it again this week. More than anything we have seen so far, this episode delivers on the potential of this serie's future.

Critical View:
    Not sure if anyone noticed it, or brought it up, but right when it comes back from commercial break and the Inquisitor is there; Kanan has his lightsaber ignited, when it wasn't before. Makes me wonder if perhaps there is an extra scene they didn't have time to include which will be on the Bluray.

Impression:
    • Chopper is evil. My suspensions are confirmed. Clearly he is consumed by the darkside and only wishes to entertain himself by plotting to kill people for his own amusement. Although, I do find it interesting that we are told he has a damaged memory chip or something(It makes me wonder if there is an actual backstory to this).
    • Great seeing Kanan in action. Loved his fighting style.
    • This must be the most lightly guarded prison ever. I know it's a trap, but does that mean they removed half the guards.
    • To the casual viewer, it might have seemed as if Luminara was in carbonite instead of a "death coffin"
    • The whole encounter with the Inquisitor was great, but they really did almost release the whole thing in bits before it aired.
    • Love the Inquisitors intro, but would have really liked more info on his role. We know a lot from the promotional stuff they have released, but it would have been nice to learn a bit more in show.
    • The lightsabers really look great in this show. When I first saw them, I was a bit skeptical, as I thought they were just trying to undo the look of the prequels and make them look more like the Original Trilogy. I'm sure that was a big motivational factor, but the truth is, they really do look great. There just seems to be something more organic about them. Seeing them in action here, makes me sorta divided on how they should look in Episode VII now.
    Seems like the plot is finally starting to pick up a bit which is good news. It really feels like this episode closes off the first part of the heroes journey this season. The crew is gathered, the objective is set, and the villains are introduced. I really like this direction and hope we see more like this.

20. ExiIe

ExiIe Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 11, 2014
    is it me or was luminara taller in TCW?

21. Gen Rendar

Gen Rendar Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    I think its because of her hat thing she used to wear.

Marco1907 likes this.
  22. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012

just started reading it. love the immediate connection to a character from the saga

23. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Yeah, it's her clothes. I never noticed how short she was before.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  24. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

It's not like they broke into the exact same prison or anything...

Force Smuggler likes this.