main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 1.08 - Empire Day - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 7, 2014.

1. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Nothing ragtag about those three.

Trebor Sabreon, CoolyFett and V-2 like this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    They weren't "ragtag" in the the common sense of the word, but it was still a primarily focused group throughout the series regardless; which is the point I was trying to make.

3. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    TCW had a lot of focus on the Clones, more than any other character if you add up their screen time I suspect. It was a true ensemble. We got episodes focussed on those mentioned yes, but also Rex & Cody, Padme, Kit FIsto, Mace Windu, Asajj Ventress, Dooku, R2-D2 even Jar Jar.

Just pick up the Episode guide and check it out. There are easily more than two dozen episodes that hardly even have the three Jedi in them, if at all. Padme likely got at least a dozen episodes as the lead character by herself.

V-2 and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just watched this one.

I enjoyed it. Not as many LOL moments but that's OK. I did get a kick out of the TIE emerging and Sabine's 'Pretty. When do we blow it up?' reaction.

Nice to see some background on Ezra. I think this is the first episode in which I didn't want to tell him to STFU at least once. I actually kind of liked him here. Although he did deserve the Kanan Smackdown he got in the beginning.

Recently I've been a supporter of the PT Jedi no-attachment rule, but that said, I do like the way Kanan turned it around a bit, telling Ezra that he could not isolate himself and that he had to be open to connections with other people. I hope that the ST explains the philosophy this way and does not do the Timothy Zahn version of Luke wondering how the PT Jedi could have had such a rule when being in love was so great. (For that matter, as much as I like the Kanan/Hera relationship, I hope Kanan doesn't muse on Hera that way either, way too saptastic.)

I wonder if and how Tarkin will be brought into this with discussion about annexing the Outer Rim. I haven't read the rest of the thread so I'm sure you all have been discussing this already. :p

Anyone know if Agent Anemic Emaciatus is going to be a recurring character? Nice to see some new Imperials. And I rather enjoyed seeing a female Governor and a female Imperial agent as well.

Damn, Chops gave Kanan a run for his money. I was worried for a minute.

And holy cliffhanger. Nice to see Ezra and Sabine getting some background. So Ezra's parents ran the equivalent of the Potter Channel. And looks like they may still be alive.

I am now in favor of the Fulcrum being Trayvis, in cahoots with Bail.

One minor quibble: Kanan, you sexy *******, people do not suddenly develop Southern accents when they are drunk.

Going with a 9/10 although I could probably be persuaded to go with the full-on 10/10.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

You know you want to give it a 10.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014

The OT crew was much more interesting than this Rebels crew. That's a HUGE difference.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  7. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Debatable. I find them interesting. And even if I didn't, I still tend not to judge things so early. And the simple fact is that that wasn't the argument being made. The argument was that this wasn't like TCW, and my point was that it was never meant to be.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Apparently.

As far as the "differences":

Han and Leia were fun. Kanan and Hera are fun. Zeb and Sabine are fun. Sabine and Ezra have interesting back stories. As much as I love Han and Leia, I didn't care much about their back stories. Same with Lando. I haven't read any of the books on their backgrounds, especially given the fact that Han apparently had a very Mary-Sue-ish girlfriend before Leia.

But that aside...

This show is not TCW. This show is not supposed to be TCW.

I don't know why this keeps needing repetition but apparently it does.

9. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    I absolutely loved the screentime the Empire got in this one---from the civilian leadership in Maketh Tua to the regular armed forces to the ISB, everyone was in fine form. Commandant Aresko and TM Grint are actually starting to grow on me as characters rather than the obligatory thin/fat brains/brawn duo that they initially came across as...I just love Aresko's smugly superior attitude. It suits the guy perfectly. anakinfansince1983 if you're talking about him, he's actually been showing up for a while, he seems to be the commander of the Lothal garrison (I'm assuming his LRC-01 callsign stands for Lothal Regional/Regimental Command).

And of course Agent Kallus was awesome as always. I loved how he dealt with Maketh Tua during her little hissy fit (while the Inquisitor couldn't even be bothered to deal with her), and it's always nice to see a quiet professional (Lasat gloating aside) like him in action versus the smug Aresko and the thuggish Grint. It's just a shame that he wasn't able to get his weapon into rifle mode fast enough to light up Zeb.

Oh, and then there was that TIE pilot. I think Jello's appellation of Baron Fail for him says all that needs to be.

10. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    For that matter, Rebels needs to get the memo about female stormtroopers.

11. McRowdy

McRowdy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 19, 2010
    I think one of my favorite parts of this episode was the awkward way Kallus tells the Rodian he mistook for Tseebo to "enjoy the festivities". Like he doesn't really know how to talk in a non formal fashion.

12. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    It's not like they need new models. Look at pictures of women cosplaying stormtroopers. They just look like stormtroopers.

Revanfan1 and Cevan like this.
  13. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    "Hey Vanessa, do you want to voice a stormtrooper?"
    "Yes"
    It should basically be that easy.

14. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I prefer the Empire to be how it is in the films. I don't want to see females doing anything important in the Empire. The Inquisitor looks out-of-place enough as it is.

Robimus likes this.
  15. Why_So_Serious

Why_So_Serious Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2013
    I thought they said the villains of this show weren't going to be ineffectual. The amount of damage these five random schmucks can do to what is supposed to be the ultimate evil empire without suffering so much as a single causality in return is getting absurd. They should have to wear disguises every time they show their faces in a backwoods podunk town. Waltzing into the capital during a military parade is just out of the question if they at all hope to survive.

Or, at least, that's how it should be/ People are not that hard to track down in modern times, much less so in the space age future. Particularly not if you have no regard for concepts like "rights" or "privacy". There's a reason dictators in real life are so often successful in slaughtering their opposition and ruling supreme until their deaths.

Darth_Pevra, StrikerKOJ and Robimus like this.
  16. Quirkiness101

Quirkiness101 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    While I definitely agree that this was an easy 10/10, I thought that Rise of Old Masters was pretty damn solid as well.

My only complaint here was that their transport was able to just blow through a barricade of two walkers and the other transport. I understand that Sabine is probably supposed to be a good driver, but this is just making the walkers look ineffectual :p

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Yeah, right....

[​IMG]

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  19. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Well, you know, there's that too. :p

But I mean 501st-level stormtrooper cosplay.

20. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014

Should've quoted me, I almost didn't see this.

Anyways, I wasn't arguing that it wasn't like TCW at all. I was simply stating I miss TCW compared to Rebels because I liked it better.

21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Starwars.com calls this "a common practice of tyrants using state-run media." I love that so much thought was put into it.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Agree with that! I was watching, saying "no way they make it through that blockade without some serious injuries suffered by the good guys." And then our heroes cut right through the Imperials like they were just too cool to be stopped. :)

Anyway, my only other issue with the episode is a familiar quibble: Watching those parade scenes? Ugh! Enough with the same three or four background civilians being replicated over, and over, and over (and over) again!

How many times did we really need to see the same white-bearded fellow standing two meters from... the very same white-bearded fellow (who happens to be standing two meters from -- you guessed it -- the very same white-bearded fellow)?

I understand that there are issues with budget and I sympathize, but it's honestly quite distracting. I mean, when I'm not actively looking at the backgrounders, when my attention is focused on the main characters, and I still get taken out of the moment, then it's become an issue.

There has got to be a better solution than this. With Rebels being Disney's first big SW rollout since the purchase of the franchise, you'd think they'd want a product that didn't come across quite so 'on the cheap.'

But again, I understand that these are issues of budget and production, rather than story or characters, so I haven't allowed it to negatively affect my ultimate rating of the episode.

Still a 10/10.

ps. Oh, and yeah, "Rise of the Old Masters" was wonderful. Prior to "Empire Day," it ranked as my favorite episode of Rebels. :)

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I agree on every single point here, except for the rating. While it is my favourite episode so far, I wouldn't give it a 10. I think (hope) the show will evolve and become even better than it already is, and I hope to one day see a ten. This, for me, is an eight :)

jcgoble3 and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  24. Sons of Liberty

Sons of Liberty Jedi Padawan

Nov 17, 2014
    Best episode so far!

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  25. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    Second favorite episode not counting next weeks. Cause the next episode is my favorite so far.