main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 1.10- Path of the Jedi Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by JediFan215, Dec 29, 2014.

1. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    The Temple at Djose Lothal
    Dat girly scream though...
    ..and dem faces Inky was making.
    Visons require lots of falling apparently
    YODA!!!!
    Awww, hugs for Kanan and Ezra[:D]
    Well, the staplergunsaber makes it's official debut

Very nice, 9/10

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    loved this episode as well.

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I wonder if Rebels will introduce the possibility of other Orders into canon, now? EU did.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Other Orders?

darklordoftech likes this.
  5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I think that would be a fantastic idea, Daniel. I'd love to see other sects; groups which are off-shoots -- or even full-on departures -- from the mainline Force Orders of Jedi and Sith.

TCF, I was rather interested in the idea behind the Potentium, myself. Which is not to say I necessarily agree with all of its tenets, but I do find it an intriguing Force philosophy.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think i can say so far I am liking this show just a bit more then TCW don't get me wrong still love TCW.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  7. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Maybe they could explore the lost 20(or 21 now after Tano), we have no idea whether they left at the same time together or just fallen Jedi/Sith Lords or those who were expelled or left on their own. But that may drift towards another realm and shift the focus out've the timeline and to lead up to the ANH.

The Mortis Family and Force Priestesses I think cover both dark and light attributes and seemingly allied with neither the Jedi or Sith. So there seems to be a different aspect to the narrow visions of the two warring Orders. Dagoyan Masters seem like a local Jedi-like religion and at times allied with it, but they never explored them as they were seemingly not warriors of any kind.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

That could be very interesting.

9. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Star Wars: Rebels comes back from its winter hiatus with an episode that is nothing if not solid. The magnificence of the midseason finale, however, is a little gone here. There’s something holding this episode back from being truly as great as its potential and that largely stems from a feeling of stagnation. There’s no necessity of the plot moving forward at an exponential rate and I am more than fine (compared to the majority of individuals) with episodes that deal with character drama and their interpersonal strife. The unfortunate problem of Path of the Jedi, as gorgeous and entertaining as it is, is that several of the points feel remarkably redundant. We grew to know the crew of the Ghost over the course of nine episodes and formed some sense of attachment. If there are characters who need further characterization, it’s Sabine and Hera, not Ezra and Kanan. There’s some smart writing from time to time that prevents this from feeling like a complete trek back through the very woods you just came out of, but largely this episode simply reinforces ideas you already understand.

The brush Ezra had with the Dark Side was truly and considerably frightening for everyone involved. With the fate of the entire Jedi Order potentially hanging in the balance, a single win or loss can become an utter catastrophe. Underscoring the challenge is that despite Ezra’s endearing insistence that Kanan indeed is the right Master for him, Kanan himself is woefully underprepared to deal with an apprentice as his own training was never completely completed. It’s ludicrous to completely blame Kanan in consideration of Order 66 and the events that consequently transpired. But reality is simply that, reality. There’s a fear within Kanan, even if he never truly expresses it to the complete intent. There’s a fear that he will truly screw this entire endeavor by not just failing to turn Ezra into a fully fledged Jedi Knight, but by allowing him to fall to the dark side. It’s a tremendous responsibility upon the shoulders of one individual, but such are the circumstances that Kanan finds himself mired in.

To salvage something from this terrifying scenario, Kanan decides to take Ezra to a hidden Jedi Temple. The entire sequence reeks of contrivance and it’s clunky assembled, which leads to the question of why the episode simply didn’t begin there in the first place. I can buy that there’s a hidden Jedi Temple on Lothal simply because of production reasons and I certainly don't begrudge the show that. But when it’s so awkwardly brought to the forefront, it significantly hinders the pacing of the episode. As it may be, the duo arrive at the hidden temple and the episode truly kicks into gear. Frank Oz’s appearance as Yoda is the most touted thing about the episode and rightfully so, he’s still amazing in the role. He brings a certain amount of gravitas to the character that grounds the episode in a mature realism that otherwise perhaps wouldn’t have been possible. That realism espouses a troubling foreshadowing for the master and his apprentice - is death the destiny that awaits them, thus leaving the Skywalker siblings as the heirs for lack of a better phrase. That’s always been a troubling thought throughout this series, but Yoda’s appearance here lends far more credence to that underlying darkness.

The Inquisitor is used fantastically here and his villainy was portrayed quite graphically considering the venue itself. His stabbing of Kanan in the chest and murder of the entire Ghost crew were wrenching and to the episode’s credit, you could feel the raw grief and hatred emanating from Ezra, the raw negative emotions overpowering his psyche. Yet in what is an unfortunately quick turnaround, Ezra’s fear begins to dissipate and he faces imminent death. Here’s especially where a significantly more amount of screen time would have been extremely helpful, because what we’re left with is a teenager who is remarkably adept at confronting death and removing so much fear from his psyche. The end product is an intriguing Ezra, but the journey to get there was fairly wobbly, even though there gem of scenes (the one where the Ghost crew discusses Ezra especially comes to mind). Character transformations are vital to good storytelling, but they have to be given time to develop and flourish properly. Path of the Jedi in no way was a bad episode, but it stops short of using the full transformative powers that animation could provide. It’s solid, but due to some unfortunate narrative decisions, it stops far short of being what it could have been.

Great/Not So Great Moments Not Mentioned Above:

+“You already knew.”
    +The animation of the landscape about the Jedi Temple was gorgeous
    -The logo’s appearance is awkwardly cut and is quite distracting from the scene itself

Good
    7/10

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  10. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    According to the old EU, the understanding was that the "Lost Twenty" used to represent Jedi Masters who had voluntarily left the Order. Jedi Knights (and certainly Padawan's who were never even knighted) were not counted among the number (so Ahsoka wouldn't have been among their number). However, as I said, that's now considered apocryphal. In AOTC, it is never actually said who the busts depict, or what they represent. And since they have yet to be touched upon in any other canon source, who knows for sure what the deal is with them, canonically speaking?

Anyway, I think you've got a terrific idea, there. I'd love to learn more about the "Lost Twenty"!

And though I know of some who feel stories of mystical explorations of the finer points of the Force are not their particular 'cup of tea,' -- personally? I love them. Mortis (which, I admit, I do feel works better with just the first episode)? The Yoda arc? The Dagoyan Masters?

Yes, please. And thank you. :D

I just eat that stuff up and I'd love to learn more.

As far as other Orders and philosophies, how about something like Djinn Altis and his Altisian Jedi? Corellia's Green Jedi? Oh, man, there are a lot of cool ideas out there, just waiting to be explored on-screen.

11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Fate of the Jedi (yes, I know. We all hate the series) actually introduced another Order, that survived 66.

12. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    IMO, I believe that the bones are physically there as both Kanan and Ezra comment on them. I think the only person that has visions in the episode, that we see, is Ezra and he only has the visions when "inside" of the Temple. Why does he have to enter the door to have his trial and who is controling the opening and closing of the door? That's open to interpretation, but I like to think that the "inside" of the Temple where Ezra is is like the inside of the cave on Dagobah.

I do have to hand it to Kanan. He has a lot more faith in Ezra than I do. It feels like he faced the trails VERY early in his Jedi career.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Kanan had no vision Yodas voice was there.

14. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    I loved the episode. I was very surprised at how violent it was - I wonder if this means they are willing to kill Ghost crew members for real?

However, I think Yoda was unnecessary - his presence added nothing to the episode. Just felt like a publicity stunt - and I also found it quite difficult to catch some of what Frank Oz was saying.

15. KeithyT

KeithyT Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2014
    Sorry for bumping this one but we've only just had it aired on Saturday morning here in the UK.

Great episode I thought. I quite like it when they focus on one or two characters only and Kanan and Ezra's relationship takes a huge leap forward again with this one.

Ezra's test with his visions of the Inquisito were quite dark. It was really effective how they used the red glow of his lightsabre, shadows, and then the shot of Sabine's legs/feet to hint at the horror of what just happened.

Looking forward to the Idiots Array epsiode with Lando this Saturday.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. pepoluan

pepoluan Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    Interesting... thanks for informing me of Potentium.

Or, Kanan Jarrus & Ezra Bridger might be the founder of a 'new' line of Gray Jedi, because in this episode and in Gathering Forces, it seems to be implied that Kanan had some experience with the Dark Side. So now we have Master and Padawan both have walked the line between "light" and "dark" without succumbing to the Dark Side but with lax association to the Light Side.

Nice food for thought...

17. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm glad you checked it out. :)

pepoluan likes this.