main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 1.15 - Fire Across the Galaxy (Season Finale!!!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 24, 2015.

1. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    So he wasn't defeated and the empire didn't lose spectacularly?
    He's good at finding rebel bases, I'll give you that.
    To much which list..?
    So there wasn't a spectacular defeat for the empire then?

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    There are defeats and defeats such as those you can't help. He can hardly help Han coming back and getting his by his wing man now can he.
    It was defeat but as he helped cause a major part by killing Pappa Palpatine you can hardly blame him. Palpy was frying his son and If there is one truism from all Starwars films, it's that you don't hurt Darth Vaders family.

3. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    So that part in ANH where he goes to interrogate Leia..... Is excused because he did it himself?
    [​IMG]

Editing to add that if you don't mess with his family is a truism, then he should have felt guilty about this. In ROTJ, upon the revelation that Leia was his daughter, I didn't get that feeling....

V-2 likes this.
  4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Lucas wasn't even aware she was his daughter then let alone Vader himself

rumblewagon and V-2 like this.
  5. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    I think you have interpreted this the wrong way;

This started by discussing if Vader is somehow and should be incapable of being defeated or making mistakes in Rebels originally because he has that big bad boy status. Vader has had plenty of them, that's what we listed. So we should expect them in the tv series. In what way the villain wins and loses is up to the writers and i expect them to give it proper respect, but a defeat is a defeat when it happens. Even if it happens outside of his direct influence, it is he who assumes the command and carries the responsibilities and answers to his master. We can agree to disagree there.

Oh yeah, being demoted is clearly a sign of competence and power. ;)

6. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014

7. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    In SW, escape and survival is always an option - how many times did Grievous jump on an escape pod at the last second?

As for Tarkin, he is a friend of the Emperor, and an essential military leader - Vader wouldn't punish or harm him. The Inquisitor is only an agent - the Force only knows what Vader would have done to him for failing and letting the Jedi prisoner escape...

jabberwalkie likes this.
  8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The man was hanging from a ledge over an exploding reactor, he wasn't going anywhere unless Kanan allowed it. Survival is only an option so long as the writers want/need the character to survive. Plo Koon could live again if Filoni wished it and the Story Group consented to it. Trench was seen accepting his fate, yet he turns up later alive. Grievous is a bad example, because he needed to survive, so he always had to be written with an avenue for escape. ROTS demanded his survival through TCW. The Inquisitor did not need to survive and so was written into a situation where he had no avenue of escape. Kanan was not just going to let him go.

Having said that, if Filoni wished to revive the character, Maul and Trench are precedents that he always could. No destruction cannot be survived, when the powers that be want the individual to survive.

Nothing he says implies he's fearful of Vader's wrath. Kanan says he has nothing left to fear following the "death" of Ezra, and The Inquisitor says that Kanan has unleashed something more frightening than death. It's all part of the same conversation. One line keeps getting focused on as evidence that The Inquisitor killed himself to avoid Vader, when that conversation was about KANAN'S fear.

9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I wouldn't even count capturing Han and Leia in TESB. It was Bobba Fett who figured out how to track them, actually did it, and then tipped of the Imperials as to where they were going. So basically Bobba Fett=Confirmed smartest bad guy in the entire OT.

V-2 and jabberwalkie like this.
  10. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    People tend to think that an offscreen death implies the character will at some point return, i would say that the Inquisitor himself was barely explored, where he came from and how the Jedi clearly overlooked him when he was at a young age. Did he defect? Was he a minor player within the order? There are a lot of questions remaining unanswered... It would be odd if we for many years to come can only refer to this interesting villain as "The Inquisitor".

I wouldn't be surprised if they found some arcane, non corporeal way to bring him back. He seemed rather accepting of his impending death, experience tells me he'll be back, logic says they'll probably leave him for what he is, a building block for the crew to be where they are now and left to endless fan speculation.

11. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    So true! It's not like GL had a Jaime and Cersei Lannister type intention to the relationship. He just tossed it into the mix once he had the resources to make more movies.

fett 4 likes this.
  12. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    But it does make their interactions in ANH/TESB look awkwardly hilarious in retrospect.

13. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

Really I don't care to see him back, just because falling into a ball of fire is so final.... But then again

8-}

Maul survived because Lucas regretted killing him off. And while his survival created quite the plot hole - "To cheat death is a power only ONE has achieved." They just kind of gave some vague explanation that his hate kept him alive and he fell into a garbage chute.

With Trench... his popularity did not demand that they bring him back. He was on a ship that was destroyed. But then they just brought him back.

So I wouldn't be at all surprised if The Inquisitor just shows back up for some flimsy reason. But I would rather he not. It was disappointing that he wasn't developed better. But I'd rather they not just pull a Maul and bring him back to retroactively develop him.

14. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    Not as much as Leia's rather passionate kiss with Luke is... ;)

15. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    The Inquisitor could have swung and jumped to a lower level, like the tier Ezra was on - Kanan could have sliced him down - he didnt. The Inquisitor could use the Force and wasnt badly injured. Would he have pursued him had he jumped to another tier? Maybe - you dont know, Kanan would likely be more concerned with keeping Ezra safe and getting off the ship. Escape is always viable because the writers can and have brought back characters like Maul, who most people thought were dead beyond a shadow of a doubt. They could even bring the Inquisitor back after the ship exploded, they did that with Trench. No situation like this has a no avenue for escape approach, we don't even see him die. I'm not saying I want to see him return, but the way its written and shown isn't the absolute you claim.

16. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah, I supposed that he COULD potentially survive being blown to bits and then having those bits incinerated in a reactor. But I kind of doubt that that's the case.

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    And I think he should never be defeated by a crew as incompetent and disorganized as the ghost crew. It would be better to leave him out of the game entirely then. Because for any mistake he makes, they make a thousand. If they make him or Tarkin lose against this bumbling chaos-crew, that for me is villain decay and not giving these villains the proper respect. They should use villains on the level of the ghost crew rather than misuse them for cheap marketing.

If you bring in the big guns like Vader and Tarkin, you better have them fighting against worthy opponents and the ghost crew is so far removed from that as I am from the Andromeda galaxy.

The boss isn't always right and in this case it was made clear that Vader is not the blunt instrument that Palpatine calls him.

18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Lol I think it was the opposite. At the time of RTJ he didn't want to do any more and as 7-9 was meant to be Luke looking for his sister with his ghost dad, he shortened it to making her Leia instead. Terrible move in jmo

19. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    He was dead beyond the shadow of a doubt... These aren't real people. He was dead for over a decade until Lucas said, "hey, how about we say he lived." It's not like he was always intended to be alive since 1999. And we as the fans just didn't know. Dooku could have fallen back out of the lightsaber scissors rolled, gotten to his feet and ran to the elevator and gotten away if Lucas wanted him to do that, if you want to use the argument that characters ALWAYS can survive. Yes, they can, only insofar as the writers choose to allow them to.

I do not dispute that the can bring The Inquisitor back. They opened those flood gates with Maul and Trench. Shmi, Plo Koon, Padme, Dooku, Jango, Gunray... Any of those people could survive since resurrecting them is as easy as typing it into a script. But I see no evidence that The Inquisitor had an obvious means of escape that he chose not to take because of fear of Vader. The only fear being discussed in Kanan's, not The Inquisitor's. Therefore I feel his line is getting taken out of context to say "look, he's afraid of Vader and would rather kill himself than face Vader." That's not what he's saying, IMO. He's telling Kanan that Kanan ought to be afraid, because there are things more frightening than death.

20. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    If you know how to drive a Prius you know how to drive a Hummer or most other military land based vehicles. Every time the military creates a new jet they don't completely redesign the interface to something foreign that the pilots have to learn. They pretty much have similar layouts and interface so pilots don't have to learn how to fly all over again every time they put out a new jet. It is the same concept. All of these ships have similar flying interfaces. Once you know one you pretty much know them all, or can figure things out on the fly. This concept applies to most things in life. It makes sense that if Zeb knows how to fly a space ship he knows how to fly a Tie.

V-2 likes this.
  21. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I'm not sure if say they are incompetent, hell the problem is how super awesome they are by going through imperials like they are butter and Sabine able to do gravity defying flips. At least Ahsoka has the excuse she is a jedi and so the force, what's Sabines reason

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  22. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    My rant about the finale:

Mustafar was a pointless backdrop, and they didn't even show the surface once;
    The storm troopers continue to fail to hit targets standing right next to them;
    Sabine's 'Bucket Head' nickname seems hypocritical as she too wears a similar shaped helmet;
    Once again we see the return of 'the major Filoni character who happens to be the only one who can fit through a shaft' cliche from The Citadel;
    Tarkin did nothing at all in the episode;
    Vader didn't even say one word;
    Ahsoka's new face is a bit off-putting to me (more personal taste that one).

On the plus side, the fight with the inquistior reminded me of Anakin's gun slinging in Crystal Crisis, and his final lines were suitably creepy, and hinted at future devlopments. The moment when Ahsoka appeared and her theme from TCW started playing gave me chills. I can't wait to see her again.

23. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Telling Vizago that you are a Jedi, abandoning important repairs of the ship, chasing after fruit and endangering everyone for no reason, engaging in needless and damaging acts of terrorism (blowing up that TIE endangering the spectators), not understanding a pretty simple Yoda statement, telling the bombad Jedi-ghost to the face that you are in it for revenge ... yes, they are incompetent. Often they act so stupid I actually roll my eyes. Oh, and lets not forget the training in the clouds, an idea that could only be cooked up in the most booze-fueled mind.

The only semi-competent one is Sabine.

darskpine10 likes this.
  24. Darth Blade

Darth Blade Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2014
    I've rematched the episode a few times and love it. Here's one negative thing that I noticed though - the lightsaber fight was amazing. Then right at the climax of the fight, both the Inquisitor and Kanan pause so Kanan can give a little speech about the Force being stronger than fear. If they wanted to have a pause in the action it should have been at a more natural point then having them both just stop to talk to each other. In reality as soon as Kanan stopped to talk the Inquisitor would have went for the kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    I see the Inquisitor's last words differently, I think the fear worse than death applies to both of them. The Inquisitor failed his master against someone who only reached padawan level. Death might be more acceptable than showing his face again. Using real world context, how many commit suicide after a horrible defeat or failure? It's more prevalent in some cultures, perhaps the same is true of the Inquisitor. He may not fear death at the hands of Vader, but perhaps letting him down was enough to push that button. Did you notice his face when Tarkin put him down in a previous episode? I believe he takes failure to heart. Vader and the Emperor are a constant shadow over him. That shadow will encompass Kanan and his crew now - he should be afraid of what that could mean. Vader is far more powerful than Kanan and the Inquisitor, and I believe It's that capability and the fear of the unknown that the Inquisitor was warning him about. If the Inquisitor wouldn't face Vader - we can only imagine what would happen to Kanan if he was within his grip.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.