main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 1.15 - Fire Across the Galaxy (Season Finale!!!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 24, 2015.

1. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Vorax

Simply "no attachments and working for the greater good selflessly" is an overly simplistic way of looking at it IMO. While those are probably tenets of the Jedi Religion, that seems like it opens the category up to pretty much any force user who has those characteristics.

2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    At the kind of range where Sabine was dancing around the stormtroopers at the beginning of FATG - inside of 20 feet, complete with dramatic pauses on top of the TIE fighter to deliver mocking lines - any idiot could hit her. Gangbangers could hit her at that range, never mind trained soldiers. If you doubt that they'd hit her, feel free to set up an approximation of that yard with crates and pallets, and jump around it at the same distance, and have a few guys try to hit you with paintball guns. I can guarantee it would be a sore experince...

That they somehow manage to miss at this range is kinda un-explainable. You'd have to be aiming deliberately to miss.

3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Bad guys cant hit their marks, unless its good guy background fodder. Bad guys guns dont work, but when good uses the same gun he's a marksman. We see this all the time in movies, the LOTR/Hobbit films suffer from this a lot. Bad guys in these movies are only there to really serve the purpose of making the good guy look good.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I know think Kenobi was just a chronic Lier.

5. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Pablo addressed the Stormtroopers in a Rebels Recon where he pretty much said that Stormtroopers and their accuracy are whatever the plot needs them to be.

6. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    The OT did not go out of its way to make stormtrooper inaccuracy a point of fun.

Rebels does. It has protagonists mocking them about their poor shooting while standing at conversational ranges - Sabine didn't even have to yell to the stormtroopers shooting at her when the were stealing the Gozanti, she was only 20 feet or so away, she paused and stood still at least a couple of times, and they still, impossibly, kept missing.

It's not funny, it's not clever, it's not creative, it's just stupid, and gets in the way of suspension of disbelief.

7. Darth Blade

Darth Blade Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2014
    Much of this just has to do with the nature of a cartoon - it's gonna have a less serious style at points vs. the live action movies. The battle droids in TCW were also way more over the top in their ineptitude compared to the PT. To a certain point, a cartoon is going to be cartoonish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    Why is everybody complaining about the stormtroopers accuracy?I usually do as well, but I think Sabine JUMPING ON A STORMTROOPERS HEAD LIKE SUPER MARIO is the real issue here.

9. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    No, the OT did not make it a point of fun but the aim of troopers in the OT was noticeably laughable at times. Their inaccuracy isn't exactly something new to the franchise.....

Exactly. I think most people recognize the cartoons have a lot more levity in them than the movies. Having stormtroopers look like the idiots they come off as at times during the OT is fine in my book.

10. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Their inaccuracy was always there, to a degree. But it was never this ridiculous:

That level of hopelessness right there, is something else. A sideways-firing gang banger straight outta Compton, or some Middle Eastern militant holding an assault rifle up over his head and firing blindly over a wall, would hit her easily at that range. When she pauses on the stairs, and again on top of the TIE... they have to literally be deliberately aiming to miss at that distance.

11. The4thSniporr

The4thSniporr Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 16, 2014

Thus far I'm preferring Rebels to the Clone Wars by a wide margin, but that scene in particular is just so egregious. I mean, she jumps on the trooper's head and apparently kills him, then doesn't even look at the soldiers shooting at her while standing on the TIE because the bolts just fly right past her. I mean if she was dodging them more actively then it'd be more believable, but she literally just stands there on multiple occasions and does nothing.

The trooper's lack of accuracy can be explained away by saying "oh they're Imperial cadets on a remote world, of course they're gonna be a little rough around the edges" (let's just ignore the ludicrously strict and difficult training regime they go through as cadets) but then you've got the troopers on Tarkin's SD who are just as bad, and the troopers on Stygeon Prime, and so on. At least the OT has some legitimate reasons to explain the troops' failures (for the most part) and in ANH on the Death Star we see that they are presented as a legitimate threat to the protagonists, who are shouting stressfully at each other, hiding in cover to avoid shots, and running when they can: and these troops were under orders not to kill. On the Tantive, we see them tear through a rebel security detachment with minimal casualties, and then in TESB they actually overcome the baddies on multiple occasions. In ROTJ, they actually score a hit on both Leia and R2 and start to massacre the Ewoks when the element of surprise has been lost, defeated only by Chewbacca in an AT-ST.

In Rebels? "It's hard not to embarrass them, Kanan". I remember this being one of the community's biggest fears when it came to Rebels (making the Empire an absolute joke) and it's come true, tenfold. I mean, sure they don't have any redshirts to kill in S1, but you could at least show the stormies shooting up some civvies in firing squads, or hitting civilians while the rebels are fleeing. But when you have elite soldiers of the Empire getting KO'd by a 130 pound teenager jumping on his head, you've really got a problem to address, and hopefully they do address it in S2.

/rant

12. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    In the escape of the Death Star, one of those troopers should have hit someone by blind dumb luck as well as during the escape. Especially the volume of fire they were putting out towards our fleeing heroes. Luke stood there in absolute shock for a few seconds, even firing from the hip at least one of the troopers should have hit him. Same with Leia and company fleeing to the Falcon during ESB. I just don't see how you can say that they are any less accurate in Rebels than the OT. Using the OT as an example for the troopers because that is the closer time period for the show.

Some of that scene can be excused by her jumping around with her impressive acrobatics, which I pretty much rolled my eyes at, but does in fact make it more difficult to hit the target. In regards to having to aim for the target, with the camera perspective, it makes it kind of difficult to see what those troopers' sight lines are and if their view to the target (Sabine) was in anyways obstrcuted.

I can't remember the episode, but I think it was Zeb that had a few blaster rounds impact pretty close to him at one point when he was hanging onto a ledge. They didn't hit him, but they were pretty darn accurate. In ESB when Chewie was taking cover behind a corner and a few blaster rounds impacted right next to him. Both times the troopers are providing accurate fire in the different situations.

Stormtroopers miss their target all the time. I don't see how this warrants any kind of special notice to critique. If you want to complain about the Empire looking bad/inept go for it. There are a lot of examples out there (Arisko and Grint, at times the Inquisitor, and Kallus).

13. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    But remember, we have to take the genocide of Zeb's homeworld seriously!

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Well at least it shows that the empire is evil and not just clumsy.

15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Er...how many Dwarves died in the Hobbit films again?

Boromir in the first act anyone?

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014

That is fodder, main leads kill astronomical amount of orcs and goblins and those huge trolls with relative ease. Legolas alone has near infinite arrows and hardly ever misses, even dwarves appear to be just accurate or the human, Bard. In Five Armies they make a in movie joke of the few hundred goblin mercenaries about to overrun their position at the tower where Azog was holding up when there was what 2-3 dwarves left in which they proceed to wipe out the goblins . before that 4 Dwarves just wiped out with ease Azog's fortress camp defense force which already numbered apparently in the hundreds. How many Uruk-hai did Boromir kill before he died?!

Now I will go back to Star Wars.

Bail was quick to try and intercept any Jedi after he fled the temple and he went there by himself with just his side arm and a combat style uniform:

[​IMG]

And he easily and swiftly managed to mobilize and made it his mission to search and rescue any Jedi still out there . He found Yoda pretty fast and first , and then Kenobi as he was monitoring some specific emergency frequently possibly other Jedi . He seemed far more prepared for such a catastrophe which took nearly everyone else by surprise especially the Jedi themselves.

Interesting thing about Bail's Tantive IV, seems it was made to store A-Wings, which if the case he was secretly already building up his own forces in such an event that the Chancellor did not give up power. Which ties in well with the cut scenes with him , Padme, Mothma and company.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's not the Tantive IV but the Sundered Heart. Yes, there were complaints at the retcon.

18. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Well whatever it is, both are still CR90 corvettes.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Sundered Heart was originally rationalised as "CR70 Tantive IV" to explain away the differences between it and the CR90 ANH model.

Then TCW had the Tantive IV appear - with red paint job instead of blue, though I'm not sure how dramatic the other differences are:

Not sure if either ship are still considered to be a CR70 as of the Clone Wars era in the canonverse - though the Sundered Heart is in the Legendsverse - upgraded after TCW to CR90 standard:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sundered_Heart

20. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
  21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Whenever I follow the links, I never get anywhere that confirms that "CR90" is a canonical designation. Like CR70, I think it first appeared in the Legendsverse and there's not much info about it carrying over.

The Databank just calls them "Alderaan cruisers"

http://www.starwars.com/databank/alderaan-cruiser

EDIT: Apparently the Tarkin novel used CR90 though:

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Archie Brown

Archie Brown Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2015
    My favorite part of the season finale was probably when I saw Darth Vader walking down, but the revealing of fulcrums identity was just as good! When I first saw bail organs I thought fulcrum was going to be him and I was panicking because I really didn't want that, I wanted fulcrum to be Ahsoka, which was who it was! I'm pleased Darth Vader is in rebels now because it will only just keep getting better than it already is with a super villain in it now.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    It is unfortunate that Fire Across the Galaxy didn't show us what the Empire actually did on Mustafar. Maybe we will see it in another season, because they teased us a lot.

I have a theory about the Empire's presence on Mustafar. In an episode of The Clone Wars (Children of the Force) it was shown that Darth Sidious already had a base on Mustafar before he became Emperor. Sidious brought Force-sensitive toddlers (kidnapped by Cad Bane) to this facility, where he talked about his plan: creating an network of Force-sensitive spies under his command. While his plan failed, the children got rescued and the base got destroyed, it is interesting that Sidious wanted to have more Dark Side-users under his service then just his one Sith apprentice. The idea of Force-sensitive spies are kinda similar to the Inquisitors on Rebels.

What if the Empire had a Training Facility for Inquisitors on Mustafar? In the end of Rebel Resolve, Hera says that Kanan once told her that Mustafar is the place where Jedi go to die. It is possible that those Jedi don't actually die there, but are seduced by the Dark Side and turned into Imperial Inquisitors. Those Jedi lose who they were, so a part of them dies (similar to how Anakin, according to Obi-Wan, died when he became Darth Vader). This would also explain how the Inquisitors came to be. What if Tarkin wanted to turn Kanan into a new Inquisitor by sending him to Mustafar?

darklordoftech and Iron_lord like this.
  24. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Sorry about the Lazarus treatment (and I'm not sure if this has already been AAA), but the EMP wave that took out the electronics aboard Tarkin's flagship for awhile, there?

Why, exactly, did it render the Stormtroopers unconscious? Does this make any sense to anyone, because I just don't get it? [face_dunno]

Was it explained in a trivia gallery, or anything?

25. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    Trebor Sabreon

It's never really explained as far as I've seen. If it's purely an EMP as we know it, then that can't really cause what we saw. Though, those stormtroopers should probably schedule regular cancer screenings for the rest of their lives. In theory, I think you could "tune" an EMP to specifically target the electrical functions of the brain, but then the bomb wouldn't have an effect on electronics. If someone with a better background in neuroscience or physics can jump in and correct me, I don't mind. I'm just going by vague memories of white papers I read years ago.

If it's some star-warsy thing like the "ion cannon", then all bets are off. Who knows what effect that would have on a human.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.