main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 2.03 - The Lost Commanders - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 7, 2015.

1. OB-1 Ken-O-B

OB-1 Ken-O-B Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2015
    Some thoughts on the episode:
    - So, Ezra now takes charge when Kanan will not. Ezra is fully invested in the Rebellion while Kanan has no love for its heirarchy, its methods, and expecially its potentially new "allies". Having Ezra lead the Phantom away-team while Kanan sulks is an interesting inversion of the first season's set up.
    - The clones are now "fisherman". Bagging the big beast is their new purpose as they have out-lived their previous purpose as soldiers. But now the Ghost crew comes "fishing" for the clones. The clones were willing to use Zeb and the crew for their ends (Zeb is the bait!), will they allow the crew to use them for the Rebellion's ends? Both Sabine and Ezra serve as the bait, as Rex recognizes giftedness in each of them, to which as a leader, he is attracted. But he can only lead them "by example", which would require taking the bait and being reeled into their cause.
    - The war left scars on everyone. Gregor's damage is obvious. Wolfe's scar literally diminishes his vision - he cannot "see" how things really are so he needs Rex to guide him. Kanan's scars are almost as obvious as Gregor's: can he really submit himself once again to an institution ( even if it is a rebellion)? Can he trust Hera enough to trust others as well? Only Rex's scars are not visible. What are they, and how will they be brought to the surface?

Other random stuff:
    I think I would have enjoyed this episode more had I not seen so much of it already in the trailers. I may have to stop watching those things.

Dee Bradley Baker was so good, and imo this was perhaps Prinze's finest portrayal of Kanan to date.

Trebor Sabreon and jakobitis89 like this.
  2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    About Siege of Mandalore- didn't Rex say it was the last battle he fought with Ahsoka- so it must be before Ahsoka's departure and cannot therefore be during ROTS or after the Battle of Cato Neimoidia seen in Ahsoka's trial arc - he doesn't say it was the last battle in the conflict- as Christophsis wasn't the first. So Siege of Mandalore is not to be confused with Outer Rim Sieges that Ahsoka didn't participate. Besides Mandalore is in the Mid Rim I think. Not sure about the new canon though...

About Rex removing his chip- could it be that it happened after order 66? What if Rex (and Wolffe) were wounded and hospitalized as P.O.W or otherwise incapacitated during order 66 and that's why they didn't participate- then when they heard what happened Rex understood that Fives had been telling the truth back then and only then removed his chip.

Of course would look less heroic but it didn't really make sense that Rex would remove his chip before order 66 and still stay with Empire without any way trying to stop order 66 from happening (like warning jedi or Cody and all clones who didn't remove their chips)- seems hypocrite not to intervene but just stay out of it8-}

And how he could convince Vader/Anakin? Rex:"Sorry General I don't join you this time- I don't want to kill jedi" Vader: "Ok- Appo can do it then" If he didn't take part he disobeyed orders and committed treason in the Empire- chip or not- he shouldn't have had a choice anyways as a trooper...

Hopefully Filoni explains this apparent inconsistency that is very serious actually now when Rex lives after ROTS...

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    It was due to happen as the finale of TCW, at the end of Season 8. Ahsoka would contact the Jedi at some point, and Rex was presumably assigned to help her on Mandalore.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  4. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Ok thanks for the info. Darn it's so dumb they cancelled TCW...

5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Well, what else are guys supposed to do when they retire? Golf? :p

jcgoble3 and CoolyFett like this.
  6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Don't worry. I am certain all those stories will come out eventually.

CoolyFett likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    One way or another.

8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Mandalore is Outer Rim in TCW and in canon as far as I recall, so this should I think be included in the end battles/sieges leading into ROTS and spoken about in the film. So its very possible the Separatists attacked Mandalore and Korky(sp?) contacted Asoka? And Tano contacted the Jedi for aid and they sent some Clone volunteer force led by Rex? But I can't think Asoka would be responsible for the Siege of Mandalore to oust a lawful government and last we seen the Sundari population was behind Almec and her siding with Bo-Katan is awkward since they last were about to kill eachother and Bo-Katan was killing unarmed villagers that effected Tano . So I can't imagine the writers neglecting that. There is only like 4 million Mandalorians on the planet and they live in protective domed cities. I don't picture Maul hanging around Mandalore either since his guards would be no match for Jedi or Sith that decided to land in the planet like what happened in Lawless he'd be a sitting duck on the planet as there is no room they live in domed cities. He's both fighting the Confederacy and Republic alike and they him in SOD and even Twilight of the Republic whether its canon or not, it still follows the narrative of SOD/TCW. In SOD he was out conducting his own field operations while Almec ran Mandalore.

It is also unclear how much Tano trusted the Jedi Council, if they used the original season 5 ending, it was a very sour note, the official release is a little less sour but still ambiguous and yet leaves the possibility open. But wouldnt word have reached her about how the Jedi treated Ventress or Vos in DD, going ny ROTS it does not look like the Jedi changed any as far as learning experiences and learning from their mistakes. Maybe Mandalore was another one of their doozies.

9. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    So, after some thought here is a nice ramble about Kanan in The Lost Commanders, or Why the Jedi said not to let emotion cloud your judgement.

Kanan and the Ghost crew are given a mission, find Ahsoka's friend and get either the man himself or information useful to their rebellion. Kanan accepts this mission and leads his team down to the planet's surface. Already suspicious about Ahsoka's friend, when he is revealed to be a clone Kanan ignites his lightsaber and moves threateningly. Way to keep your cool, Kanan. This of course prompts Wolffe to shoot at the party (I already talked about Wolffe previously, so this post will focus mainly on Kanan), at which point Rex talks down Wolffe and Gregor and then Ezra talks down Kanan. His padawan has to talk him down.

At this point Ezra becomes de facto leader of the mission. He and Rex make introductions and they all head inside the AT-TE. After revealing their purpose and not getting a positive response from Rex, Kanan completely checks out of the mission and leaves the room. So now Ezra has to salvage the mission, an important mission to bring back intel for the rebel fleet to regroup from their losses, because Kanan apparently cannot be bothered to be field commander on his own mission. So a deal is made between Ezra and the clones-intel for help slinging joobas.

Kanan is next seen sulking inside the Phantom. Ezra comes along, tries to draw Kanan back into the mission by giving him emotional reassurance that Ahsoka said to trust Rex and he trusts Ahsoka, right? Kanan doesn't respond and barely gets out the reason for his distrust. Like it is such a burden to inform your padawan why you aren't even participating in the mission, why you wanted your padawan to be on guard, or even what happened to the Jedi in the first place. It is painful yes, but it is also something that Ezra needs to hear about and he had to pry it from you. Rex comes along and basically says, hey we aren't going to shoot you in the back, which Kanan doesn't acknowledge at all. And Ezra leaves him by reassuring him again that they aren't all going to die. At which point, Kanan is so emotionally exhausted (as one is from constant reassurance...) and his unfulfilled emotional validation so heavy he completely ignores everything else until the jooba hunt is underway.

Since Kanan has not involved himself with his own mission, Ezra, Sabine and Zeb have taken up the slack. They have followed the clones instructions, which involves using Zeb as bait. They do not realize this, and Kanan is too busy pouting in the Phantom to look out for his padawan, space daughter and pet Zeb. So once this info comes out Kanan is, of course, outraged that this would happen. Outraged. Well, the jooba fishing goes fine and congratulations are handed out all around-Sabine praises Rex who in turn praises her and Ezra. Gregor and Ezra praise Zeb and they all decide to celebrate with dinner.... Kanan, no praise for your padawan? Nothing?

Nope, back to the Phantom. This time to call up Hera, who is busy actually contributing to the mission by repairing the Ghost, to yet again be reassured. By information he already knows. At least he acknowledges her words.

Kanan then listens in on Ezra and Rex's conversation, one where Rex gives Ezra some praise and explains a few things to him while Ezra listens and tries to give Rex some reassurance. And it is no wonder why Ezra would look up to Rex, because they have been having more equal exchanges all episode while Kanan has been standoffish and shirking his duty in the same time.

Sabine finds treachery in the clone ranks, and the probe droid almost gets away except for a good shot from Rex. Everyone is relieved, some fist bumps are given out. And Kanan turns around and walks away without a word.

All in all, Kanan this episode divorced himself from his team and the reason they were even there all episode, needed constant reassurance and validation, and then got upset when things didn't happen the way he wanted. He let his emotions interfere with his relationships and his mission. Time will tell if this is a failing he can overcome.

10. DarthSaggs

DarthSaggs Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2015
    Kanan may go dark in the end. I sense the hatred for the clones. He fears Vader. What kind of role model is he for Ezra? They are fast vecoming polar opposites.

11. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Kanan's been through a lot. Plus he has a good reason to hate the clones. :/ That doesn't mean he isn't a good role model. Masters and Padawans aren't always the same. That's not a bad thing.

Also welcome to the forums. :)

12. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    yawn inducing, utterly pointless.

I think Filloni and his writing staff should be kicked out but they'd probably hire an even worse creative staff.

I keep hoping Star Wars will die off so the zombie cow stops getting milked.

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    go away.

Sow and revan772 like this.
  14. RedVad

Sep 29, 2012
    no

The clones were meant to be thematically linked to the Republic becoming the Empire and Anakin becoming Darth Vader.

Lucas originally intended the Stormtroopers to be the clones keeping this thematic link. Now that's gone and you have this nonsense of good clones and Stormtroopers being unrelated to them.

15. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    which gl came up with so blame him then.

16. RedVad

Sep 29, 2012
    I blame him and Filoni.

17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    Baiting is not allowed.

18. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    thejeditraitor

Whether or not he likes this episode or what's being done with the series, baiting another user is never allowed and I would advise you to not do so in the future.

Now, I suggest both you and RedVad stop this conversation before it gets out of hand and turns into one big argument. Because that conversation isn't contributing anything to this thread.

19. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    I wonder what will change Rex's mind to get involved in the Rebellion.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  20. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    it's ok. i'm finished with this person. no worries.

21. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    TheSilentInfluence Thank you for keeping the ship on course for a constructive conversation.

Devizz I think Rex may change his mind after the Empire confronts them in the upcoming episode, and he sees what they are capable of first hand. I speculate that
    Wolffe and Gregor sacrifice themselves in the battle, but this is based only on my speculation since Wolffe needs to redeem himself, the other Clones don't seem to be in the rest of the episodes, and I think the Empire will likely crush them sending the rest on the run

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  22. Devizz

Apr 30, 2014
    Yeah I had similiar thoughts. I mean I am pretty sure Wolffe needs to go after what he did if people are to like him again.

23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    When Rex took the distance shot at the probe, it reminded of Sean Connery as Allan Quatermain taking out M in League of Extraordinary Gentleman.

24. Devizz

Apr 30, 2014

I really enjoyed that shot, I liked how prior to Rex gunning down the probe Kanan tried to blast it from a much shorter distance and failed. Then Rex being a badass takes it down with ease. This scene really highlighted what an elite force clones are/used to be and how the new imperial stormtroopers pale in comparison. Heck, even a force sensitive could not match clone's precision with a blaster.

25. Devizz

Apr 30, 2014
    Makes you wonder what would have happened if clones were never decommissioned. Luke, Han and Leia would have never made it off the Death Star in ANH. :D I guess they solved the problem of stormtroopers being beyond terrible soldiers with very poor aim and clones being the most elite force galaxy has ever seen quite well. By the time of Battle of Yavin (and few years prior to that) clone were so old that Palpatine thought they outlived their usefulness. The only critical mistake he has made during his reign I suppose. :D