main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 2.14 - Legends of the Lasat - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 31, 2016.

1. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Honestly Kallus is not even a character in his own right any more. He's just another Imperial Uniform to turn up and watch idly as the Ghosts go about their business. You could easily swap him for the even-more-generic 'Faceless Imperial Officer #135' and would lose absolutely nothing except those sideburns. He just exists to make stupid decisions and look like a moron. The only question is what on earth he's doing working in Intelligence when he doesn't have any!

Other than that an alright episode. Some blatant and very odd contrivances (Zeb's rifle is now capable of hacking a starship... alrighty then...), and building up to the revelation that Zeb is Not Alone but just take our word for it, guys... Though the idea that 'The Force' is only one name for a phenomenon known by many different species was interesting and the music and imagery of the cluster was stunning.

On to next week when Zeb's back to being 'the big guy funny things happen to.'

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    At least Kallus wins (against a protege of his own who'd defected to the Rebels) in the comics.

3. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

KoTOR I hinted at that before, so Rebels just more or less made the old EU idea canon. It's just sad this episode didn't take time to explore it - i.e why episode arcs are needed sometime.

TheOneX_Eleazar and jakobitis89 like this.
  4. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004
    For some reason I didn't enjoy this weeks episode so much.

Seemed like a filler episode, the season 2 trailer clearly shows the latter half of what is to come, so everything pre this just feels like filler.

5. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Oh yeah, I am not saying it was exclusive or even original to this series... just nice to see the old theories resurrected a little bit. Agreed also that this is something that could easily take a full arc to look at in depth - the closest we've really come are the Dathomiri bits and Jar-Jar's ladyfriend back in TCW but they never went that deep into it.

6. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I actually really enjoyed this episode. I was glad to see the writers do something with Zeb other than making him comic relief, and I thought his character developed quite a bit in this episode. It was also refreshing to see a truly unique story after quite a while of just the same thing every episode. Not that I didn't like most of those episodes, it was just getting a bit repetitive. The one thing that bothered me is that the episode didn't really have an ending, it seemed to just.... stop. When the episode was over, I actually said to myself, "Wait, that's it?" But whatever. Overall I thought this episode was excellent, minus the abrupt ending.

rumblewagon likes this.
  7. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    For how allegedly "one-off" this episode is, I get the feeling we're coming back to it in just three weeks. Why?

According to the synopsis of "The Honorable Ones", Zeb and Kallus are going to be forced to work together to survive. Chava's prophecy mentioned something about "find[ing] our new home only if the child saves the warrior and the fool". We didn't see any of that part of the prophecy and you would think they found their new home this episode, but Lirasan's the ancestral home of the Lasat.

8. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Just to add my thoughts on the "Now we see it - Now we don't" Planet Catch-22

It's obviously something we'd all like to see... some are immensely excited when we do and some are immensely disappointed when we don't -- and all the gray areas in between.

I'm fairly sure if we had 2 minutes on Lothalarin [or whatever its called] there would be people pissed Disney used the budget on that rather than "robes" or more time with the characters. And others who would feel the opposite.

FACT: Filoni and the crew have a budget - as all businesses are run - and they are the ones in the driver seat making decisions based on first hand knowledge of the dollars and cents as well as the choice to take a career path leading them to these jobs where they are the arbiters of what makes it into the final production.
    Being mad about it is a useless endeavor.
    Perhaps the best reaction I've seen/read/heard to all of the aspects of the GFFA in total:
    I do love the fact that we all discuss this with a lot less angst and venom and arguing than say -- use of CGI in the movies.

rumblewagon likes this.
  9. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I had a similar thought...this episode might be setting up events a little for "The Honorable Ones".

Overall, I liked this episode more than the 2 prior. A nice little episode...not perfect. I like that we got a bit more info about Zeb's past, and it was more fulfilling than the tiny bits we get about Sabine.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Ah, who knows they might have just changed his gender and name in the new canon.:p

11. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I really liked "Legends of the Lasat". The guest appearance of Hondo was absolutely amazing as always. So many great quotes from him. I was very happy that they explored Zeb's backstory and culture. It was something I have wanted to see the first episodes of "Rebels". The visuals in the parts towards the end were beautiful. The maelstrom and the Lirasan system just looked magical. The music was incredible. This has to be my favorite music Kevin Kiner has ever done. It sounded so epic and different from previous "Rebels" music. If I listen to the music without seeing the visuals then I would think the music came from something totally different.
    Kallus was just there and did nothing, but he is kinda done that for a while now. He really does not bring anything to the episode or take away anything from the episode. He was just there.
    The only bad part about this episode was the horrible and underwhelming ending. Everything just stopped. We spend all this time and see the characters go through a lot of trouble for two beings, but we do not even get to say goodbye to them in a proper way. It could have been done and without costing too much time, but the whole "There were already Lasat down there" made me think otherwise. The ending felt cheap. If this was "The Clone Wars" then we would go down to the new planet and be surprised nicely by many Lasats in the distance. Maybe have an adventure and further exploration of Zeb's culture. I think the budget did not allow this episode of "Rebels" to have a sweeter end than just more nasty Chopper remarks. If this show had a budget like its predecessor then we would have gotten 3-parter about the people of Zeb. If the ending was better than I would have given this episode a 10.

Now, bring on THE TECHNO UNION!!!

rumblewagon likes this.
  12. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    People keep harping about budget, as if it somehow replaces quality storytelling. Some AAA films are absolute garbage while some low-budget ones are masterpieces. In fact, a 3-parter would arguably use LESS budget due to reusing the same assets.

Clone Wars had lots of budget but still had plenty of garbage stories.

13. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Budget isn't everything, but it sure helps a lot, as it would here.

beatbox, MandoArtist and Dinos4Ever like this.
  14. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Budget translates into different planets, different cities, different ships (how many Taylanders can can you count over the spaceport), and most important...Hondo's trenchcoat.

15. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The average budget per episode of TCW was $1 million, was a budget of $22 million for the first season of 22 episodes. TCW feature movie had a budget of $8.5 million. I would be really surprised if Rebels ran on lower budget than 1 million per episode, especially now by 2nd season, which is longer than the first.

16. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    So...here is a theory on Zeb, The Force, and his Bo Rifle.

Zeb did NOT use The Force. It was a thing (for lack of a better term) with his Bo Rifle. Chava talked about "how the ancients used it." What if Zeb's Bo Rifle is an ancient weapon that is the responsibility of the Captain of The Honor Guard to wield. Because it has some sort of mystical ability to find Lirasan when in close (astronomically speaking) proximity to the planet.

La Calavera and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  17. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Hondo not having a trenchcoat is a crime. I seriously want to see him get a new one. As well as Captain Rex shaving and actually wearing something a little closer to what he wore in TCW.

Wow, I never realised an episode of TCW costed so much. Sheesh.

18. Chris0013

May 21, 2014

More like what he wore on Onderon.

19. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015
    Speaking of Onderon, whatever happened to our friends there? I remember hearing that the VA who played Saw Guerrera was pulled on for Rebels... was that untrue? did he voice someone else and I didn't realize it?

20. MandaloreRex2015

MandaloreRex2015 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2015

That's actually what I thought happened in the episode.

21. Amdrag

Amdrag Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 26, 2008
    The mystical ability is the Force. This is in no different then the Witches and their different take on the Force.

22. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    FWIW, in the Rebels Recon, the creators allude that the Force is not exclusive to a particular group, but that others tap into the Force in different ways (than perhaps the Jedi and Sith).

Force Smuggler and Amdrag like this.
  23. Chris0013

May 21, 2014
    I am not saying The Force was not tapped into....I am saying that Zeb is not Force sensitive...It was something in the Bo Rifle that tapped into The Force.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I enjoyed seeing a bit more about Zeb's background. And the visuals and music for this episode were great, as was Zeb tapping into whatever power he had, in order to get the Ghost threw the "space anomaly."

Ah, Ezra, you were stupid to trust Hondo.

I did have a few "WTF am I watching?" moments in this episode, particularly with the elderly woman Lasat, but Zeb being practical and straightforward endeared me to him more. Especially his comments about wanting to be the warrior, not the child, and the response that he was acting like a child.

7/10

25. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Zeb is not force-sensitive like jedi or sith but every life is somewhat sensitive to the Force (or so I see it must be)- maybe Bo-rifles have some amplifier that makes it possible for non-sensitive to use the Force but differently than jedi or sith. It also seems to be possible that Lasats have naturally special connection to the Force that is different than that of the jedi and sith and more like that of the Dathomiri but still different than their "magicks"