main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.01-3.02 - Steps Into Shadow - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jul 14, 2016.

1. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    When Hondo was talking about a ship as payment...did anyone else flash to the trailer that showed the YT-2400 / Outrider type freighter??

Sluice Friggins and Hopeless like this.
  2. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Ezra asking, out of curiosity, where the holocron was is slightly interesting. Does he go and attempt to get it back? I think he will.

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    It was a nice pilot for this season and
    Thrawn has some big master plan for rebs that's nice if we finally get some actually competent bad guy. Or at least somewhat more competent than Kallus and Constantine or those inquisitors.

+ Thrawn and Pryce are nice addition to the imperials in this show
    +Little details like mention of Dodonna, Venator-model in Tarkin's room (maybe it is model of his old ship seen in ROTS) and Ben Quadrinaros and is that Millennium Falcon herself in posters of Ezra's room[face_thinking]
    + Y-wings at last- it seems that those in Yavin were these same ships seen here. Surely there are more Y-wings used by the rebellion though but they are old ships so nice to see that it's remembered here as well- X-wings are actually newest of old letter-wings as established now which is kinda ironic.
    + Droids reminded me of droidekas and those transformer-droids used by Grievous to bomb Coruscant power plant- it's nice connection there
    + I hope we'll see Bendu again or his role was kinda short and almost pointless

-Stormtroopers are as bad as ever... seriously make battle droids look competent- such a shame
    - Re-using Titus now as demoted to scrapyard commander is not a bad idea but since his life was spared again it seems they are still going to run into him in the future.... just pointless re-using old animation models.
    -The way how long station was falling down compared to how fast Phantom fall really was bit illogical... well character shields are pretty useful.

Meeko Ghintee and cwustudent like this.
  4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    He has to because he and Maul combine holocrons.

5. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Assuming it's the same holocron yes. Most probably it is though unless there is another on Dathomir or something

6. Fuzzy ambassador

Fuzzy ambassador Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2012
    Interesting episode. Not quite as pulse-pounding as the season 2 finale, but pretty good. I think I need to watch it again. I too am wondering how long Kanan has been out of commission. Ezra's attitude toward him was horrible. Is it because his 'space-dad' has been ignoring him for months on end, or was it mostly the dark side talking? Equal amounts of both? Whatever it was, I was actually shocked and saddened by how he yelled at Kanan, telling him he learned more from the holocron than him. Ouch. Ezra's curtness and impatience with the rest of the crew had me grinding my teeth. I know Sabine is too well-trained a soldier to jump up and smack him, but I really wanted her to! Had to admire good ol' Zeb for keeping quiet AND offering to take the punishment at the end with Ezra.

I was surprised that I liked the Bendu as much as I did. The voice acting was great and his design is pretty cool. Is he blind like Kanan? It was somewhat discomforting to see Kanan so frightened in that scene. Glad Bendu showed him how to see and gave him his confidence back. (I would have thought he could figure out how to use his other senses on his own, tbh, but perhaps he was so mired in self-pity that he couldn't.

I love Star Wars critters and was happy to see the convor again. It looked different from the other, green-headed one. Maybe this one is supposed to represent Depa Billaba?

7. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I believe this episode airs six months after Twilight of the Apprentice. So half a year has passed.

8. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    - Thrawn! He is…just introduced. Okay. The voice casting is perfection.
    - I love Governor Pryce.
    - Ezra is more aggressive and authoritarian. He got a promotion to Lt. Commander! …And then he lost it. [face_laugh] I actually really like him now, he is very entertaining to watch.
    - Kanan learned pretty quickly from Bendu, huh? No time for trials and errors I guess.
    - Bendu’s characterization and voice was awesome. Love this character so far.
    - I thought the Empire was dismantling Y-wings, not destroying them? What was the reason for that, it looked like a waste. They could’ve recycled them to build Imperial ships.
    - Ugnaughts went along with them too fast.
    - Rex in action and more Sabine, that’s good.
    - The episode looked like it had a train to catch! Too much stuff crammed in, some parts were rushed and it felt a bit chopped. Did J.J. Abrams direct this?
    - “That is not the Rebel fleet.” Wait, it’s not? Do our heroes know this too?

Overall, good episode. Not as bombastic or as well-paced as the Season 2 premiere, but still pretty good start for this season.

9. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I guess once they were tipped off about the incoming attack they decided it was quicker just to destroy them outright rather than break them down for parts that the Rebels could steal (and perhaps reconstruct them with)?

10. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Yeah but…they still let them escape with the ships intact.

11. Tony Stank

Tony Stank Jedi Youngling

Sep 24, 2016
    Im still waitng for ezra and sabine to hook up

Sow likes this.
  12. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011

Sabine has always seemed like the least enthused character towards Ezra. I'm not saying it won't happen, but unless he pulls some kind of irresistible romantic gesture to woo her, I think it's very unlikely. Besides, we have Kanan and Hera already and they're decidedly not telling too much of that story to avoid it overshadowing everything else going on. More romances is unnecessary IMO.

Plot armor I think the decision was changed to let them get away once Thrawn learned that they had failed to coax more than a single cell out of hiding, so it was worth more to let them go and follow the trail to the rest of the Rebellion. Or something like that. Or maybe Thrawn just wanted to continue undermining Kallus and Konstantine in front of Pryce?

La Calavera likes this.
  13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Just watched the season opener. While I did enjoy it quite a bit, I can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed. Maybe it's because the season finale of season 2 was so extraordinarily good, and because the trailer (which I first saw at the The Star Wars Show stage at Celebration together with hundreds of cheering fans) was so incredible, but the episode didn't live up to my expectations.

Some thoughts:
    -Thrawn, of whom I am (and have been since I was nine) a huge fan, was sort of just introduced. No build-up, no grand entrance. That bothered me. The design and voice acting is great though, and I can't wait to see more of him throughout the season!
    -The Bendu. I like the design, and of course Tom Baker is an amazing actor, but he felt a bit 'off' to me. I got the feeling they tried to mimic Yoda from The Empire Strikes Back in some way. Wise, but playful - but it didn't really work for me. I'm sure if we get more "mythology" around him, I'll grow to like him - I always love the Force lore episodes, so... I did like that he mentioned "Ashla and Bogan" though!
    -Hondo. I love Hondo in The Clone Wars, but I've never really warmed up to him on Rebels. For some reason I don't think he works in this show.

Again, I certainly liked the episode! I liked a lot even, but it didn't live up to my expectations, and I didn't like it as much as The Siege of Lothal or Twilight of the Apprentice.
    But that's a ridiculously high standard.

14. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Do we still need to tag spoilers now that the episode has aired? TheSilentInfluence can you please clarify this?

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You do not. That was just me being a lazy bum and forgetting to change the title. :p

16. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    Finally saw the episode. Overall thought it was good and a good way to start the Season. It wasn't as big and explosive as Siege of Lothal but I don't think it was meant to be. It's meant to set up the season and also show us where our characters are now since Season 2 ended. While most of the episode focused on the conflicts of Kanan and Ezra and how they have been since the second season ended there are some subtleties to the other characters as well. Hera obviously while she's focused on keeping things organized does feel saddened by Kanan's state of mind and wants him to come around again and is glad he does at the end but still never loses sight of keeping things in check. "Sight" is the word to remember here because it's the common theme of the episode. Sabine and Zeb seem to be somewhat intimidated by Ezra's change in attitude and while they question his motives they'll still follow him. I liked when Zeb at the end offered to take a punishment alongside Ezra since he followed him into battle. Shows again how far their relationship has come.

Hondo is still hilarious as always. He never fails to make me laugh. Also nice to see they utilised some more of Jim Cumming's voice over abilities by having him speaking the Ugnaught language as well as voicing Hondo's Ugnaught partner.

Thrawn while we don't see much of him yet is still introduced well enough. We get an idea of what he's like and how he operates in comparison to the other officers and Vader. His calm collected demeanor as he lays out his plan evokes the Zahn books well. Lars Mikkelson's voice also does fit well although if someone said his voice was maybe too low at times to where they could maybe not understand what he says I could somewhat see that because the voice is very low and subdued but again I thought it worked. His motivations aren't much explored yet but considering how Pryce said he has a bigger plan in mind then capturing one Rebel cell I wonder what exactly is his overall goal? To destroy several Rebel cells at once? Is he vying for greater power in the Empire than he already has? Who knows. Someone like Thrawn is no doubt ambitious and it's probably why he gained the rank of Grand Admiral and why Palpatine brought him in as it was in the Legends canon but that doesn't mean he isn't prepared for a possible betrayal.

The way Thrawn interacted with the other Officers was interesting all had a different reaction with Konstantine being skeptical and not very intimidated, Pryce holding him in high esteem, Tarkin just wanting the details and how he intends to solve problems and Kallus pointing out how he killed more civilians then Rebels. Not much Kallus in this episode but that one comment to Thrawn does show how he is somewhat evolving and turning away from the Empire he's just waiting for the right time to do so. Some people will probably worry over how he let the Rebels get away with the Y-Wings but like he said it's a meager victory (even if that meager victory will come back to bite them in the ass once General Dodonna gets those Y-Wings) he's just waiting for when they are all in place and take them down in a crushing defeat when they attempt something that could change the tide. If chess exists in Star Wars then Thrawn is the chess master moving his pawns to attack another pawn and is waiting to see what he'll use to do so and win the game.

The Bendu was interesting edition to the ever growing different Force beings in the galaxy. Tom Baker gave a flair of mysticism, playfulness and authority to the character that I thought worked well. He can be compared to Yoda in Empire Strikes Back and I guess that's not unwarranted. His curiosity and the way he laughs at Kanan's ways feel Yoda like but also the way he's somewhat dismissive at first of Kanan the way Yoda was of Luke. Being in the middle and having control over the balance of light and dark the way Kanan doesn't understand what he's teaching him the Bendu exhibits a little bit of haughtiness the idea of "Much to learn you still have." His way of how he believes the Force is different to Yoda's teachings and is probably while more in line with other Force beings we've encountered they still might be different. He teaches Kanan to be more in tune with his mind and those that he touches and feels and only then can he see again very much in the way Daredevil was taught by Stick sort of but he had heightened senses from chemicals where as Kanan is a Jedi and his Force power needs to be in balance instead of one way or the other. That's to me what we see in the fight in Force Awakens between Rey and Kylo Ren that two Force powers of Light and Dark overtake the person and they become powerful but unstable because they haven't been taught how to hone them. Again the word Sight returns to the conversation. Kanan couldn't see that he was doubting himself and as a result he risked putting those he cares for in danger. Now that Kanan knows this he has a better understanding but still will return to the Bendu for guidance (Because there's no way you have Tom Baker as a one and done character there's still too much to learn from) maybe the Bendu will seek out Ezra and talk to him about what he learned from the Holocron.

In comparison Ezra is getting older but also cockier. Gaining victory after victory once he begins listening to the Presence's advice in order to protect people he feels like he knows what he's doing but still has much to learn like Kanan. That's the thing with these two in comparison to other student and master relationships neither of them are fully trained Jedi and are learning and growing in power with every move they make Ezra more so and again that idea if he sways to one side and doesn't keep the balance he'll become too powerful and a threat if he wishes himself to be. The Presence tells him his anger gives him strength so he should channel it more which he does when he pulls the mind trick which it was a grim scene but even the way he casually threw Troopers over cliffs and the way he shot them down he doesn't hesitate but still has some mercy to let Titus go where he again realizes he wasn't seeing clearly.

He lost sight of his goal and what the mission was and as a result almost got himself killed along with his team and lose the Phantom. There were good and bad consequences in that regard even if they got the Y-Wings. The way Ezra learns from the Presence and the Holocron he isn't being controlled. He takes the information and guidance the same way he would Kanan's guidance and uses it to his advantage. He isn't evil or becoming evil because of it. Every Jedi has some of the Dark Side in them and can channel it to a degree it's just how you channel it. The craving for power both for good and bad reasons could still lead to problems and that's what Ezra's motivation for learning from the Holocron was so he could become more powerful so what happened to Kanan and Ahsoka doesn't happen again. It's as the Bendu said "An object cannot make you good or evil. The temptation of power, forbidden knowledge. Even the desire to do good can lead some down that path. But only you can change yourself" It happened with Anakin in his attempts to save Padme (not being entirely in control of his emotions and being more in tune with his anger and how he couldn't let go didn't help either) and it could happen to Ezra. Despite he learned his moral Ezra still much like Kanan still won't be over his issues yet. Only time will tell which path he goes towards more.

The animation is getting better with each passing episode complimented by the well done music like in the scenes with the Bendu or when Ezra becomes in tune with the dark side as he uses the mind trick on the Troopers very ominous and quiet. The battle scenes looked good along with the destruction of the station and the designs of the Bendu and Thrawn were well realized. Thrawn looks the same mostly except his blue skin isn't as dark and while he has red eyes they aren't blood red with no pupils but I guess even with the budget getting upped doing something like that would still be difficult but I still liked how they were the only things glowing as we then faded to the blackness of space in the next scene after he gives out his plan. The Bendu's design was other worldly and unique (some compared his head though with the horns to a moose which maybe that was something they drew from) and I like how he blended into the ground as he made his entrance. I'd be curious to see how he'd be rendered in live action (my guess would be CGI but I do wonder if a giant life sized puppet could be built? Some compared him to the Rockbiter from the Never Ending Story and he was rendered pretty well back then. Like a combination between that and The Nome King from Return to Oz but I doubt we'd see him in live action really it's just a wonder on my part). Also it looked like to me the Bendu was blind himself which is probably why he was teaching these methods to Kanan and also I kind of noticed some of Tom Baker's facial features in the design which if they did do that then that's a nice touch.

Overall while not a oh my god this is amazing episode it does set things up well and helps reintroduce us to the characters and where they are now and will be going forward well and also the new players. I used the chess analogy earlier so to quote Gandalf I'll sign off with this "The board is set the pieces are moving." Where they will move who knows we'll just have to wait and see.

DarthAnakin96 likes this.
  17. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This episode was pretty good, but nothing spectacular 7/10 :)

+I like all of the neat little references to Ahsoka ''Lord Vader took care of the jedi leadership'' or whatever it was Tarkin said
    +The Owls are back, I know i sound crazy but could it be Ahsoka reincarnated ? :p
    +Nice reference to Dodonna's Rebel Cell and I like the short soundtrack bit from ANH
    +The animation continues to get better and better, just look at the scene when the station is falling down.
    +Hondo's back :)
    +Ezra is awesome now, I actually got a little surprised by how cold he was. Cold murder, wanted to kill witnesses, drives men to suicide and he cut the power to the station without any second thought.
    +Bendu was great and I loved his voice actor, it's neat to see Kanan actually being taught something for once as well
    -/+ While Thrawn was pretty good, he was just sorta introduced and it felt like he didn't have any real impact in the episode. Pryce just says that she needs someone who sees a bigger picture and then he's suddenly there with her in the next imperial scene.
    -The pacing was awful, I didn't like how it just kept cutting back and forth and back and forth at random between Ezra & Friends and Kanan and Bendu.
    -Did they change who's editing these episode, cause it was terrible, they just switch scenes mid soundtrack with no fades out or anything. And it's super sudden.

Best Quote of the Episode
    ''An object can not make you good, or evil. The temptation of power, forbidden knowledge, even the desire to do good can lead some down that path. But only you can change yourself''- The Bendu

cwustudent and SilentGuy66 like this.
  18. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I probably should know by now but is Bendu part of a larger species or is he supposed to be one of a kind?

Personally I think this series has finally taken on the tone of an average (non-dark) TCW episode which is exactly what I've been waiting for. The odd comic relief line of dialogue but a general serious mood in the story.

There's still a tiny problem with clunky dialogue- "Last time we met you were captain of a star destroyer (thank you Ezra I would never have noticed that)- But HEY THAT'S STAR WARS FOR YA :p

19. The Admiral Snackbar

The Admiral Snackbar Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 3, 2014
    Totally forgot about the episode last night so i just saw it.

Overall I thought it was a great start to the season! Always good to see my boy Hondo. Looking forward to the rest of the season!

Got some chills when the mentioned Dodonna. Finally we are going to see the birth of the Rebel Alliance.

20. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Hm... there's no concept art or trivia gallery on SW.com....
    No weekend worker?

21. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Episode guides for this season will be going up on Monday.

Twitter confirmation

TetsuAero likes this.
  22. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    Ahh, i had my suspicion :)

23. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    Definitely the best episodes of the series so far aside from the epic Series 2 finale.

I like how there were multiple stories progressing throughout the episode.

Stuff like the Ugnaught humor and the Mining Guild droids were things that made so many TCW episodes special and memorable, it is always refreshing to see new things.

We had some interesting new characters like Thrawn and Bendu.

Nice to see Titus again and that he has been demoted. I really wish they did something like this on TCW with Mar Tuuk or Lok Durd.

Great character development for Kanan and Ezra I find them both a lot more interesting now.

24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Ezra uses a mind trick to get guards to kill each other and then themselves? Where have I seen this before...

Oh...Galen Marek.

25. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I really hope the much hyped 'Ezra tempted by the Dark Side' theme is going to be little more subtle and complex than ''Ooh look how edgy and angry he is! No wait he's fine.'' as we got in this episode. Presumably the holocron and Bendu (AWE.SOME.) are going to be back at some point other wise that has to go down as a massive waste of potential on both counts.

Trying to have the multiple plotlines was an interesting idea but even in a double length episode it felt way too much like plot pinball, here, there, back here again, over somewhere else... nothing really stuck. Bendu has so much more to offer than being a massive yak-faced Yoda with good syntax. Hondo gives them information, then screw them over YET AGAIN (I love the dude but man does he need a few new tricks), Ezra is now trusted with leading missions... which is then taken away in the same episode.

Too early to be definitive over Thrawn but I am getting some seriously unnerving deja vu here, he's giving me serious Grand Inquisitor vibes: the heroes get away! (Because he wanted them to.) He's this new and deadly threat! (That... hasn't actually done all that much.) He's got an awesome voice! (Which... actually is awesome, not going to lie, I like the artistic direction of Nu Thrawn wherever his characterisation goes.)

I'm really not as thrilled by this one as some seem to be, it wasn't bad, but there seems to have been a much better episode in there somewhere...