main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.03 - The Holocrons of Fate - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 29, 2016.

1. miDnIghtEr20C

miDnIghtEr20C Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 21, 1999
    Ha ha... I thought they saw Luke or something. Hearing Ezra say two suns. Unless it was two Sons? Meh.

2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    You really could if you wanted to, as they're quite different feats. A non superpowered human could do what Kanan did, in theory. They almost certainly wouldn't be doing quite as much running about so soon afterwards, but it's only a bit of timing, 3d trigonometry, and a commando roll. Dave Bowman in 2001 did something similar (in some ways even harder as he had to use a non-magical airlock to get back in) with no superpowers, and nobody thinks that's OP. :cool:

3. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015
    I think it makes sense that Luke would be in the vision of "hope" and "the destruction of the Sith." But, I don't think either of the viewers realized that Luke was the most significant thing. Ezra took note of the various planets, which Maul focused in on a single male he recognized. One of the things that makes Luke so appealing is that he starts out unassuming; it's not unreasonable that people could look past him if they didn't really know what to look for.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  4. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    And that means he suddenly knows how to use dark side abilities? Ezra isn't picking things up faster than anyone else we've seen.

5. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I already left an article suggesting a human cannot survive longer than about 15 seconds in deep space; so it most certainly would require some superhuman feat. It's OP in my book.

6. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    I'm pretty sure it's been well established by this point that the laws of science do not apply in Star Wars.

7. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    To me it’s not for how long a human can survive in the vacuum of space or what would realistically be the immediate consequences of prolonged space exposure according to scientific data. It’s about creating these situations where any idiot’s common sense says “no” and they push it to “yes” because they want to have their cake and eat it too. Which inherently makes future “almost impossible to survive” scenarios like these devoid of all tension.

Yes, a similar thing happened to Maul, but I can forgive that because he is a villain. Being a different species and all that darkside whatever-explanation helps, but most importantly, he is a villain. Like in horror movies, it doesn’t detract from our enjoyment when the slasher survives impossible odds. Because his job is to be this difficult obstacle to overcome.

But when underdog heroes are put in these impossible-to-survive situations and they like, overcome it with minimum difficulty, it kinda takes away a bit of my enjoyment of the series.

iPodwithnomusic and Danifae like this.
  8. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    "He lives!"

I thought Maul was talking about his brother, but then I realized where the plot this season might be headed, and I think that Maul's true goal is not his brother but revenge. He knows Obi-Wan lives now. Here's hoping that leads to a version of the beautiful confrontation that happened in the "Star Wars Visionaries" TPB comic. Such a fantastic short story. Granted, Luke will be older than was in the comics, but it could still work and would be a great end to Maul's arc (and life).

The whole "push button - resolve problem" arc Rebels seems to rely on too often happened again. Hey, here's a checklist. "Master and apprentice reconcile." Push button. Reconciliation complete..... it's just not earned. That's one thing I find very frustrating about this show, and it's something that happened quite a bit in TCW too. Shortcuts to the meaningful bits only shortchange the potential quality of an otherwise fun and exciting story. It's why I'll have to continue to give two different ratings... a standard one, and one graded on a curve for the Rebels show specifically.

So, with that in mind:

6/10 - Standard.
    9/10 - Rebels.

I did enjoy this episode more than the premiere. Also, I would love it if they made Maul's fighter there into a Lego set. Would buy.

9. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    They made a lego set for the original Mandalorian ship, before it was repainted when Maul took over:

[​IMG]

Pretendalorian likes this.
  10. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not sure it would work. Maul in that story wanted to prove himself the better of Obi-Wan, he saw it as a last confrontation between two old enemies. Since his return, Maul has never fought Obi-Wan on equal footing if he could avoid it. I don't think they should change it now.

11. bat22

bat22 Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2015
    The more the series has progressed, the less I think it is required for both of them to die. Maybe if one's SW verse revolves around the Skywalkers - seeing poetry in rhyme - but there's no reason Ezra and Co. can't be fighting for the Rebellion across the galaxy while Luke and his crew are doing their things in IV, V, and VI.

12. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    After watching it many times I can now form my opinion on this episode. First, it's not really an episode I would have expected at the start of a season and I definitively think this is the first part of an arc which kinda made this episode a little too fast for me. Kanan and Ezra's problems are resolved pretty quickly, I felt like the season premiere was the only time where I actually see Kanan struggling with his blinding. Still, every scenes with Bendu is a delight, he didn't seem so concerned about anything until Kanan mentioned Maul's plan to him and he saw the same thing happening before, interesting.

Loved how the crew tried to resist Maul BUT Maul wasn't so easily defeated, now that's what I like to see even if I'm not the biggest Maul fan out there. And we have another connection with the ST, or more precisely Kylo but I'm sure the GI back in season 1 did the same thing with Kanan. How did he know about Kanan's real name, though? He only probed Hera's mind after he said the name. Kanan surviving in space didn't bother me at all. Now, about the merging of the holocrons and their meaning, Ezra was looking for the key to destroy the Sith and he saw "twin suns", which is obviously a reference to Tatooine, he said he only saw places some familiar and some aren't.

Maul's vision is more tricky, judging by the show's track record for its predictability, my best guess would be for Obi-wan but this time I really want to be wrong because meh. At least they don't know what the visions are about. Savage? why not? At this point any dead characters can come back with any excuses, or it could be someone who is connected to the nightsisters or even someone who is part of something completely new. In the trailer, we saw darkisister magics and a reddish looking planet that strangely looks like Dathomir so I won't be surprised to see Talzin again at some point.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No it's two Suns the subtitles say it.

14. LinAjax

LinAjax Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2016
    I think the laws apply unless stated otherwise besides FTL and Force Fields but those are tropes of the genre.

Of course the Force always looks better in animated form then in the movies.

15. TheNerdyOne_

May 24, 2015
    Unfortunately, as much as I hate it, they ignore the laws of physics all the time in Star Wars. And especially in Rebels/TCW. It's annoying and immersion-breaking, but it is what it is.

16. LinAjax

LinAjax Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2016
    Yeah I know you got suck it up though sadly. It takes a lot to break my immersion especially with cartoons.

17. ShadowLady86

ShadowLady86 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 2, 2015
    From my personal point of view, Maul did not talk about Obi-Wan. He is done with Obi-Wan. He could kill him and he decided to prison him. He proved, he is better.

In the previous episode, Maul said, that he is searching for hope. I think that he is trying to resurect Mother Talzin. She had the knowledge about Dathomirian magic and was able to confront Sidious. Sa "he lives" concerned probably the being we do not know yet. Probably someone, who also knows that kind of magic. In the season 3 preview we saw Maul and Kanan possesed by green force/ light. It is very similar to nightsister's magic. Maybe Maul will find the person, who has the knowledge about this magic, but something will go wrong.

Erkan12 likes this.
  18. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Indeed, even if he'll go to Tatooine now, we still have that nightsister magic episodes now, which means Maul will not end his arc at Tatooine.

19. Mr Bogan

Mr Bogan Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 28, 2016
    Maybe it is Obi Wan indeed. But he (Maul) was elated. Now, why would Maul be elated because Obi Wan is alive? Is he going to Tattooine to offer a tactical alliance against the Sith? Is Obi Wan Maul's HOPE? Maul would never notice Luke, but he would notice one of the greatest Jedi Masters he has known, Grievous' slayer no less.

20. TheNerdyOne_

May 24, 2015
    Or he doesn't know where Kenobi is/wants to prepare so he goes to Dathomir first.

He's not done with Kenobi. He imprisoned him to allow Kenobi time to wallow in his despair, as Maul did. The last time the two spoke in canon, Maul specifically told Kenobi that they would see each other again soon enough.

21. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    If Ezra saw two suns, he easily might not know what planet it is. If he saw someone who looked like Obi-Wan he would not know who it is. But if Maul saw the same thing, he would know who it is. As for what he wants from Obi-Wan........ hard to tell. An alliance against the Sith? Revenge? Something else? Maul has been to Tatooine. He would recognize it, too. But I would guess that he would prepare for the meeting. He took plenty of time after Malachor to come after the Sith holocron.

22. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013

That's true, unfortunately he would know it, so he could go to Tatooine.

Well, Maul has been in Tatooine,

Maul : ''Tatooine is sparsely populated'' ...

23. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Yes, he would. Warning to stay away from Coruscant in the Jedi Holocron, remember?

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yet she has already died more then once.

25. TheNerdyOne_

May 24, 2015
    And? That doesn't mean he know's Obi-Wan is on Tatooine. He and Ezra had different visions. And even if he saw a desert location, there are literally thousands of planets in the galaxy that fit that description.