main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.03 - The Holocrons of Fate - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 29, 2016.

1. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    I really hope Maul isn't referring to Obi Wan when he goes "he lives", that would just lead into a boring story Maul could not win, I mean Obi Wan has lost nearly everything as it is and Maul settled the score with him in TCW. Where as Sidious killed his Mother, Brother, damaged him badly etc, I hope Maul has found some hope of destroying the Empire and Sidious.

Erkan12 likes this.
  2. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    It would be hilarious if the "He lives!" does refer to Obi-Wan but then turns up to be a huge red herring, that Maul's quest won't be centered around the person he saw and that it is just another thing to make Maul madder and more dangerous. Maybe the point of the scene is that Maul sought hope, but that by giving up and instead focusing on what Ezra saw, he instead sank further into despair.

SeparatistFan likes this.
  3. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000

As long as Obi-wan is alive, the score will never be settled for Maul. He definitely was referring to Obi-wan when he said, "he lives" because he sounded overjoyed to see that his no.1 Jedi nemesis is still alive and would want to put an end to Obi-wan's misery once and for all. Along the way, Maul will discover Luke's existence and will plan to make him his apprentice which will serve as Maul's final act of revenge on Obi-wan. Of course, Obi-wan will not want to lose Luke the same way he lost Anakin to PalpSidious so this will inevitably lead to the "boring story where Maul cannot win".

4. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Hmmm, Ezra has seen that. But recognizing Obi-Wan in a vision, older, not presented as Jedi, in that robe? Ezra would have to think a bit to figure out who that was. Maul has studied Obi-Wan with quite a lot of intensity and would zero in on him immediately.

5. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015

Ezra may be a bit unsure, but Kanan would recognize him for sure I think? And Kanan did say he would help Ezra interpret what he saw.

6. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Uh, well, Kanan might not recognize Obi-Wan from Ezra's vision. . . . heh, heh. [face_devil] So, in person, Obi-Wan could sneak past Kanan who might only recognize another Force user. But as soon as Obi-Wan opened his mouth, Kanan would know.

Hmmmm, where's that thread of Kanan blind puns anyway?

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  7. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    lol...oops. I totally forgot about the blind thing......doh!

8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Here's a question about the combination of two Holocrons and their ability to create a vergence of knowledge. We saw that phenomenon creates through the union of a Jedi Holocron and a Sith Holocron. Could the same vergence be created by combining two Jedi Holocrons or two Sith Holocrons? Or is this wellspring of knowledge require two Holocrons of opposing philosophies to united?

9. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    It was pretty implicit that it required a Holocron from each side of the Force. Otherwise it wouldn't have been such a rare occurrence.

Vialco likes this.
  10. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Interesting. Makes me wonder how many Sith Holocrons the Jedi Ordr had buried in their vaults that they could have combined with their Jedi Holocrons in order to try and discover the identity of the Sith Master in the Clone Wars.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  11. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Jedi can't open Sith Holocrons and vice versa. That's why joining them is so rare--you have to have both a light side and a dark side practitioner who agree to open the holocrons together and join them.

12. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Jedi can open Sith Holocrons. They just have to be angry and open to the Dark Side.,Padawan Ezra Bridger opened the Sith Holocron from Malachor. It's the Sith that can never open Jedi Holocrons, because the Light Side of the Force is incomprehensible to them. A borderline Jedi like Vos could easily open a Sith Holocron.

13. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    Ezra and Kanan’s interaction was great. I enjoyed Ezra’s protectiveness of his master; it was endearing and kind of cute. He also treated Kanan with a bit of condescension as well, which was laughable. Especially his line, “I can’t even do that,” as if he believes he is already better than his master. :rolleyes: As a Jedi, Ezra seems to have down some pretty major backsliding and it’s almost like he has forgotten basics. He seems almost more insecure and less mature than how he was shown in season 2.

Kanan taking Ezra to meet the Bendu was pretty great as well. Ezra seems unconvinced that Kanan actually met anyone there, and believes that his master may just be “hearing things that aren’t there”. I loved when Ezra freaked out after his “thumper” had been taken. The way he bumped in Kanan was funny; it was like a mixture of clumsiness but also protectiveness by alerting Kanan to his presence.

Ezra seemed oddly shy around the Bendu and didn’t seem to want to listen to what the Bendu had to say, but I guess that’s why the Bendu seems to prefer to talk to Kanan. The Bendu himself was great. I love his laugh after asking Kanan if he came back for another chat, as if he knows that the Jedi would never drop by just to chat. Plus it’s a great laugh; I could see it as an alert tone.

I loved the scene in the cave after Ezra rescues Kanan. The cello version of Ezra’s theme is beautiful, and I enjoyed seeing Ezra’s obvious guilt and Kanan offering forgiveness and telling Ezra he needed to forgive himself. And of course, Ezra’s hug and the Bendu’s smile afterwards were great.

I was surprised how quickly Sabine backed down when Maul told her that she should have more respect for him because he had once been a leader of the Mandolorians. Sabine shouldn’t care. Emperor Palpatine rules the galaxy, and none of the rebels care about what he has to say.

Also, I’m not sure why Zeb and Sabine seemed so horrified about Hera giving Maul a tour of the ship. I think they had worse problems to deal with than show the bad guy around the place. Showing Maul around The Ghost doesn’t seem like that big of a deal.

Kanan shouldn’t really have survived being blasted out the airlock, but I suppose that kind of thing happens all the time in SW, and anyway, Rebels isn’t really known for having a high plausibility factor, so I guess I’ll let that pass.

Like most of the Rebels episodes, this one felt really rushed and I think would have been better if it had been spilt into two parts. This seemed especially apparent when Hera, Sabine, and Zeb were about to be executed by the tour guide droids. And then Kanan saves them. Instead of a thank you or some other sign of relief that they didn’t just die, all Hera can say is “Where’s Ezra?” I get the need for urgency, but it felt a little too rushed.

On the whole, though, it was pretty good and is among my favorite Rebels episodes so far.