main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.05 - Hera's Heroes - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Oct 13, 2016.

1. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    The best episode of S3 yet. Thrawn is going to have to do SOMETHING soon before his ''allowing'' them to escape gets a bit tedious - I know he's got a long game but he's still not actually achieved anything yet, in real terms. I also like how his old-canon appreciation of art has been tweaked slightly so that it's nearer a mania - old Thrawn probably wouldn't have grabbed hold of Pellaeon for dissing some artwork but it works for nuThrawn. Chopper actually got something like a proper character moment as well, which is nice.

On the negative side, the other Imperial commander dude was borderline ridiculously stupid/ignorant. How on earth this moron was put in charge of hunting Cham Syndulla (a high priority target) I have absolutely no idea. And Imperials not being able to aim for **** is still irritating.

Overall though, hands down the season's best episode.

2. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    I hope they stop doing the 'make the other person in the room stupid to make Thrawn look good' trick. To avoid that, have Hera be in disguise or have that painting be gone/her mom has a different headdress.

3. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Chopper always gives me a laugh every episode. Enjoyed the part where he was smirking after giving the order to rig the house with explosives.

I never read the old EU about Thrawn, but after seeing this episode, he is a compelling and interesting character. Can't wait to see what he has in store for the Ghost crew.

4. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Overall, I enjoyed the episode.
    + Hera grows as a character.
    + Thrawn's motivations are interesting if not entirely clear.
    + great action sequences
    - the McGuffin plot device is kinda flimsy given that Hera eventually decides to blow up the family mansion - after trying to rescue family heirloom.
    - Imperials continue to look like idiots.
    I would have found the episode to be much stronger if the reason for Hera to infiltrate the Imperial-held mansion was for something vital (or greatly advantageous) to the Rebel cause. A family heirloom just doesn't seem that important (regardless of how priceless it may be to the character in-universe).

5. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
  6. TheNerdyOne_

TheNerdyOne_ Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2015
    I really don't think this was a case of "make the other person in the room stupid." How in the world do you expect somebody to see a picture of a child and recognize them? Especially a very stylized picture? And especially when said person is xenophobic and doesn't even care enough to distinguish between adults of said race.

Thrawn didn't recognize Hera because of the picture, he recognized her because he knew what she looked like in the first place.

seventhbeacon likes this.
  7. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    And he knew what the object that she went to such trouble to try and steal was and what it meant in her culture. So it's a case of taking all of the pieces, and putting them together.

seventhbeacon likes this.
  8. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Fantastic set-up episode setting the stage for the main antagonist of the season vs. the Rebels. I liked the Kalicori element (however that's meant to be spelled) as more than just a MaGuffin, because not only does it add a new (to me at least) layer to Twi'lek culture, it also plays into Thrawn's strengths and background as a character. No cringey moments for me this episode either, so 9/10 for both normal and Rebels ratings scales. It's a solid setup whose quality will be shaped by the overall season rather than on its own... and I feel like this one's moments had time to breathe, rather than the story feeling rushed to fit the 22 min. mark.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  9. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Good episode. Looks like the Syndullas are 'upper class' Twi'leks. I wonder if that has anything to do with Hera having such a nice ship? I'm going to guess that the Kalicori is going to show up again sometime later.

But Thrawn likes to play with his food too much. That is the time-honored undoing of many a villain. But Thrawn is exactly the type of person who would rise in Darth Sidious's empire.

Vialco and ConservativeJedi321 like this.
  10. Hogne

Hogne Jedi Master star 1

Sep 21, 2004
    Ok, how the heck did Chopper get to the Imperial base/Hera's home?!?

He was not on the speeder Hera and Esra used. Was this explained and did I miss it?

Suddenly he was just standing next to the Y-wing.

Vialco likes this.
  11. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    For an episode focused on Hera, the twi’lek was unfortunately out of character. In season 1, she wouldn’t even risk it to go after Kanan, but she’ll take the risk to go after a little piece of wood? Even more contradictory is the fact that she goes to all the effort to save her inheritance, only to decide without hesitation that she is going to destroy the entire house. Which, by the way, wasn’t even technically her house; it was Cham’s. I think her “Things are better destroyed than in the hands of the Empire” is a rather unfortunate philosophy for Hera to have; it makes her less likeable.

I had never thought as the Syndulla family as wealthy before. Kind of interesting to think of Hera as someone who was rich.

Thrawn was better than I had expected, but he was still about what I’d expect for average bad guy intelligence – it just happens that all the Rebels bad guys have been below average intelligence. I liked Slaven; some of his expressions were hilarious.

The art piece of Hera and her family was cool. I thought that Hera’s mother was pretty, and Hera was cute.

The scout trooper who jumped on the Ghost was awesome. That guy should be given a medal.

Vialco and La Calavera like this.
  12. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Don't question it. Just like you don't question how Ezra knew Obi-Wan was on Tatooine in Twin Suns. Or where Ezra got his new lightsaber. Or how Maul got a piece of the Sith Holocron. Or how Kallus knew Fulcrum's secret code phrase. Chopper's just there and that's all there is to to it.

But seriously, I've stopped trying to make sense of Rebels and their plot holes and missing scenes. Now I just watch it more casually for pure amusement. The writers clearly don't care about their series making real sense, so it makes no sense to try and apply logic to these episodes.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.