main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.07 - Imperial Super Commandos - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 2, 2016.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Boy am I glad I got the SoD series when I did. No way would I pay $50 for an idividual issue or $250 for four issues. I didn't pay much more than $250 dollards for my entire Walking Dead collection which consists now of 160 issues (they have a good deal on compendiums for TWD).

2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    According to the Rebels Recon, there was almost certainly a gap in Saxon's service as a Mauldalorian Supercommando and his rise as the Imperial Viceroy with his Imperial Supercommandos. He's apparently a true opportunist and sell-out who went into hiding when Maul was defeated, and only emerged when he knew his path to power.

And if that's the case, it's not hard to picture Rook Kast having refused to hide from her responsibilities when Maul was defeated and remaining a more traditional Mandalorian, albeit one opposed to both the new Imperial regime and Bo-Katan's Death Watch. All that would need to be made clear by someone in creative is that Rook is willing to follow who ever defeats the Mandalore in combat (thus, Maul before his defeat) but that Saxon and his cronies did not. From what we know, Ahsoka and the Republic defeated Maul, but did not kill him, and it would make since for Rook to be conflicted over the Imperial Mandalore system. There does seem to be a devaluing of the position of Mandalore with Saxon's appointment as Viceroy, one that you could argue is similar to Satine Kryze being The Duchess of Mandalore, and it seems likely Rook had to be one of Pre Vizsla's Daeth Watch opposed to such "weakening" on Mandalorian traditions.

3. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So this episode was pretty good, nothing special but definitely not bad 7,5/10 :)

+Gar Saxon was pretty menacing in this episode and he seems different from the regular Imperial commanders that we have seen. And ofc it's great to see yet another TCW character returning after all this time :D
    +The action was good in this episode
    +The Imperial Supercommandos themselves were prettty threatening and slightly better than the regular Stormtroopers that we usually get to see
    +I like the Game of Thrones vibes that the Mandalore story arc is giving me right now
    +The Phantom II looks pretty good
    +Sabine finally gets her jetpack :sabine:
    -/+We get some cool bits about Sabine's backstory but not as much as was expected.
    -/+ Fenn Rau was pretty ''meh'' in this episode, I liked some of his lines in this episode but his turn seemed very sudden.
    -Sabine is getting very OP, she's 16 and she just won against the ruler of Mandalore :rolleyes:

Favorite Quote of the Episode
    ''Give me Fenn Rau and swear allegiance or you and your friend will die'' - Gar Saxon

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I enjoyed this. Nice to get some background on Sabine.

I think the episode had some good dialogue too.

"He's a prisoner." "No, just a very cranky guest."

And Ezra pretending to be a Hondo hire and Lando, then breaking down to save Chopper, was great. I like what the writers have done with both Ezra and Chopper this season.

I don't remember Gar Saxon from TCW but nice to see an Imperial Mandalore in action.

Some good suspense here too, especially with the ship taking off without Sabine or Ezra, and the Mandalorians threatening to blast Chopper.

And the team adds one more with Fenn Rau.

9/10

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  5. CloneofVader

CloneofVader Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    She is 18. But i agree with your point.

6. Knight of Wren

Knight of Wren Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 13, 2016
    Yeah, at this point in Rebels, Sabine is somewhere around 18 or 19. Besides, if you watch the fight closely, she mainly won due to her superior agility, dodging his attacks and striking when he was vulnerable (pretty sure he only managed to land one good hit on her). Not all that unreasonable considering she's an 18 year old girl and he's a middle aged man.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  7. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    He was in the Son of Dathomir comic :)

8. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    OK after this episode i think its pretty safe to say that Sabine will someday unit the Mandalorians again and become new Mandalore.

9. bdh1138

bdh1138 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 24, 2015
    That line of thought does make me wonder exactly how significant the Darksaber is in canon. We know it's important to Vizsla's heritage and to Deathwatch, but it seems like it could easily be more than that. Almost a canon equivalent of Mandalore's mask where it's a symbol of the true ruler for all Mandos who still follow the warrior path. TBH, I'd be perfectly happy with Sabine (or better yet Bo-Katan) uniting their people again and making whichever one doesn't rule one of her first new protectors along with Rau

10. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    I meant him, sorry it came across wrong lol.
    Yeah I am lucky to be one of the few that actually own a hard copy, it will be my prized possession forever.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Are you serious? That's a ridiculous price.

12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I think there's still more of a practical appeal with the Darksaber among Mandalorians than a ceremonial one; while the Viszlas probably test it like an icon, Viszla's use of it reveal its real appeal. Pre Viszla, for all his recklessness and war-mongering, proved skilled enough with a lightsaber to just cut through enemies in close combat, and at least dangerous enough to cross blades with Force users (though there's evidence that Maul was toying with him and Kenobi may have been mindful of Satine). Holding the Darksaber probably isn't anywhere near as important as using it effectively in combat.

And since Satine travels with two Jedi, she has a path towards getting decent with it. In which case the Darksaber becomes a trump card against any other close combat fights with her potential rivals.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  13. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I'm a big fan of Gar Saxon; what a ruthless, opportunistic jerk (with great fashion sense). Here's my recap.

14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I believe her mother is Rook Kast, they have a similar helmet. I also remember a video where Filoni was drawing Sabine's helmet and he mentioned "Nite Owls", could be relevant.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I only vaguely remember that comic; I suppose I could pull it back up.

My thought when Sabine was in that fight was "She needs some of her explosive paint right now."

16. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed in Ezra's combat skills as displayed in this episode. Saxon only comes with five additional commandos, none of which are that heavily armed. Any Jedi Knight worth his salt could take at least half of those guys down without breaking a sweat. Even a Padawan like Ezra shouldn't have to run and hide when there are only six opponents armed with only blasters. I can't help but think of Padawan Ahsoka handling most of Death Watch without too much trouble. Maybe there's a difference in levels of power or training, but Ezra showed decent skills in the season premiere and those skills didn't come across well here.I kept expecting Ezra to Force Push Saxon and his bodyguards or use a saber throw during the aerial chase. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from a Padawan with just a year of training :(.

17. LinAjax

LinAjax Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2016
    Yeah Ezra got nerfed and it was just a straight nerf. Not in the sense that Mandos are way better then troopers.

Are we ever going to find out why Sabine is the only Asian Mando? I mean dont get me wrong I liked it when Mandolore was all about anyone regardless of Race (in both the real world and fantasy sense), Gender, sexual orienation, ableness, etc could rise through the ranks provided they were badass enough or smart enough. But that got retconed thanks to Duchess Satine and club.

Still I liked the episode more sabine is good.

DurararaFTW likes this.
  18. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Did... did Sabine just get actual focus?!

[​IMG]

I am finally beginning to watch the season out of actual interest and not habit, I have a feeling this could be one of those apparent 'filler'/character beat episodes that turns out to be more important down the line - this is definitely not the last we've seen of Mandalorians and now we've pretty much canonically got Imperial Mandos and at least one Rebel-affliated one - Fenn Rau and Rex is the buddy movie SW has been waiting for, make it so.

I was never particularly big on Mandalore in general (mostly because no two writers ever seemed to agree on how it actually worked) but now I am digging the whole clan politicking angle to go with the badass mercenaries vibe they've got going - I would love to see a decent author (Zahn or JJ Miller for personal preference) really dig into that stuff without having to worry about ratings-friendliness.

Ezra did take a bit of a whack from the nerf bat for this episode but A) it was Sabine's episode so she needed/deserved the focus and B) he didn't have his lightsaber for long stretches so fighting wasn't really an option. It was nice to see them calling back to his trickster/street rat persona and I hope we get a bit more of that in future.

19. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    She's not the only Asian Mando. Rook Kast (from the son of Dathomir comic) is Asian too. And Mandalorians don't restrict someone based on race, orientation etc. Where are you getting that from? There are many clans/houses we haven't seen yet.

20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Another good episode, feel like this season has been a lot more consistent than the previous one. Glad to get some more background on Sabine and looking forward to when we really get to find out about her past and family.

21. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Just wondering .... Sabine's jet pack got damaged in the escape. Will she be able to fix it? It would be a shame if the jet pack is only a one-episode thing.

22. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    As far as Ahsoka vs Death Watch goes, she needed help 3 times in that episode. Once against Viszla (she was not doing well until she was kicked out of the tent and the droids began intervening.) Again against some DW redshirt who was strangling her, and Bo-Katan was pretty much kicking her butt until Ahsoka force pushed her and she couldn't catch up to the speeder.

As far as Ezra vs. the Supercommandos, I sort of agree that he seemed...underpowered. I would've loved to see him fight that last supercommando with Saxon, and go toe-to-toe with lightsaber vs. armor and martial arts. That was a missed opportunity to display 1. Ezra's increasing skill in combat, and 2. what exactly makes the supercommandos "super".

As for the Darksaber and it's relevance to Mandalore, I think it's mostly an icon. Afterall, we know from the murals on Sundari (http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...usaders.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151223205401) that Mandalorians already fought and defeated Jedi opponents with swords, so the Darksaber isn't really *necessary* so much as it is an icon. I like to think of it as the "Iron Throne" of the Mandalorian world.

23. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016

The Recon for this episode seemed pretty to indicate she's keeping it. I can't imagine she wouldn't be able to fix it.

24. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    $7.96 on Kindle, Comixology and Marvel's site. View Comic has the entire thing too.

25. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    So...I hope that Sabine's jetpack is not gone after getting shot....Hopefully it will get repaired and we will see more of it.

After Rau came back in the Phantom II...It would have been nice to see the SuperCommando's armor in a pile in the passenger area...I know he had his armor when the Rebels captured him...but he could take the jetpack and have spare parts.