main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.08 - Iron Squadron - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 17, 2016.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 3.08!!
    Iron Squadron
    -------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney XD.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes, past episodes may be referenced.

(3) Rebels episodes air on Saturday at 8:30 pm on Disney XD. Anyone who catches an episode streaming before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews will go in a separate thread for each episode.

[​IMG]

2. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    I can't even figure out when the show airs anymore. Thank goodness for DVR.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    :)

episodenone likes this.
  4. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    If Thrawn doesn't come in and utterly obliterate the rebel fleet in the midseason finale based on the various things he's learned so far I'm going to be upset

Order66Survivor, Vana and Theo333 like this.
  5. silvereyed

silvereyed Jedi Knight

Sep 6, 2016
    If you look up "Filler" in the dictionary there'll be a clip from this episode

Guidman , Sow, beetzello and 2 others like this.
  6. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    I suggested you get a new dictionary clearly the writer did not do his research Everyone knows when look up "Filler" in the dictionary there'll be a clip of Hundreds of hours of Naruto Shippuden Filler

CnlSandersdeKFC likes this.
  7. Sixes

Sixes Jedi Master star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    Anyone notice how Ezra and Sabie are becoming more of a natural duo.
    Sato has history with big blue defiantly interesting.
    Is the iron squadron now going to be a permanent member of the ghost crew now?

episodenone likes this.
  8. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    I am very intrigued about
    Sato and Thrawn history. There must have been something big between them. I also really liked Hera in this episode, competent and firm but also genuinely caring for others.
    And I must admit Ezra looking at more reckless version of himself was really funny XD
    Overall for me it was a really nice episode with couple surprising informations.

9. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Easily the worst episode of Season 3 so far. The pacing was awkward and a lot of parts just didn't make sense at all. Really disappointing, I hope next week is better. 5/10

Order66Survivor likes this.
  10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah,
    it was a truly dumb episode even by Rebel's standards. On and off breaks just for this silly story and characters, damn just doesnt restore my interest in the series to watch seasonly best to skip and wait for DVD or whatever. Thrawn's plots/plans make no sense at all, they just cause more heroic escapes and major Imperial causalities like usual- but killing imperials really takes no effort at all on this show by the heroes, including new ones like these young kids that am sure will be back leveling Star Destroyers next. Damn, its like the writing is for juvenile adolescents by juvenile adolescents. .

It was a lost of opportunity to bring Dash Rendar back into canon as well.

Hyrum_Solo and Vialco like this.
  11. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    This episode was kinda bland and mediocre 5,5/10 [face_plain]

+Finally some Commander Sato backstory :D
    +Thrawn was only in the episode for about 2-3 scenes but I liked his scenes. I was especially intrigued by his interactions with Commander Sato [face_thinking]
    +Admiral Konstantine was actually very competent in this episode, compared to other imperials in this show.
    +Ezra's line about their reason for fighting and how it was as important as the fight itself was pretty inspirational and it shows how much he has grown as a character
    -/+The Iron Squadron itself was so bland, and I don't remember much about them as characters (And I watched the episode 5 mins ago :oops:). The big strong guy was slightly dumb, the girl's only trait was .... being friendly ? [face_dunno]. Mark/Mart was the saving grace of the squad because he actually got some good character development in this episode.
    -The action was very forgettable it was just the same old Ghost gets chased by TIE fighters in pitch black space
    -''This time we'll do this as a team which makes all the difference'' well where is KANAN AND ZEB !? :oops:

Favorite Quote of the Episode
    ''Until we meet again''- Grand Admiral Thrawn

CIS Droid likes this.
  12. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Unexpected Sato backstory is unexpected but welcolme. It was okay, not great but not too bad either though I don't think I'll rewatch for a while.

+ "Sounds like a ship full of Ezra, let's get out of here." Zeb [face_laugh] I would have liked to see a Zeb/Kanan team up than yet another Sabine/Ezra episode.
    + New droid R3. R3 vs Chopper. Chopper pushing R3.[face_love]
    + "Gooti Terez" and "Mart Mattin". Nice shout out.
    + Sato backstory. Him and Thrawn seem to have some kind of history together.
    -/+ Iron Squadron joins Phoenix Squadron. Yay. Who is next?
    - The whole episode being focused on that freighter.
    - Matt Mattin was really annoying, reminded me of Ezra of the first two seasons.
    - We Thrawn is planing something "big" but it's starting to become redundant at this point. If he wasn't here, that wouldn't have made any difference.

6/10

13. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    I wasn't too impressed by this episode, but I did like that we got some background on Commander Sato and Thrawn.

CIS Droid likes this.
  14. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Another bad episode, we got the captured-rescued once more for the millionth time. I hope there isn't something big with Thrawn and Sato, because Thrawn is above Sato in general. I'm getting tired of Thrawn not doing anything but letting the heroes escape, something better happen soon and if it's not that big of a deal then this is easily one of the worst star wars stories (I'm talking about rebels in general) I've ever come into contact with. It may already be to, of course. I've previously stated this show has had much potential, but I can't understand how stories can be so poorly written. No story arcs yet again, most likely going to forget this episode aswell. Yeah.

It's going to be a huge let-down if other and regular Thrawn content will be about rebels-related things because I'd consider than a ruined potential. Of course if Thrawn ends up killing most of the ghost crew and dealing huge blows to the rebellion, then sure it'd be fine if they include that. Most likely, they will not manage to give a good Thrawn ending to rebels.

Theo333 likes this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Though the episode was meh overall, one aspect I really liked was
    Ezra applying what Yoda said to him about how he chooses to fight to the kids in Iron Squadron.
    Oh lol, nice catch.

16. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Just finished watching it. A meh episode, though nothing awful.

I like how they handled the size of the Empires ships, seeing the Gozanti class cruiser in comparrison to the light cruisers was great. And i enjoyed the Iron squadrons not knowing how big a star destroyer actually was.

Konstantine was good this episode, and i was impressed by his first attack. The way his light cruiser destroyed all the various crates was pretty nice, since the empire´s ships are ussually not shown firing at so many objects succesfully.

Thrawn was great, but letting the Rebels get away again better lead up to something, preferably involving Sato, because one nice detail in this episode was that Sato and Thrawn knew eachother, and i hope that goes somewhere.

And the animation was great as usual, one of my favorite battle we´ve seen so far in Rebels

Rest was meh, didnt care for the iron squad much, except that i liked their astromech droid.

One thing i recognised right away was that the iron squadrons astromech droid had the same astromech beep as Goldie/R3 S6 from Star wars the clone wars. I think that´s neat

[​IMG]

17. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    I actually really liked this one. Like 9.5 out of 10. Thought I would hate it cause annoying kids (and yeah they were mostly just kinda meh) but this episode had quite a few elements I like: 1) The crew seems to be actually doing something that is of obvious benefit to a larger rebellion (saving dissidents) rather than personal missions like a lot of the rest of the season has been (Save the doll! Help Rex get over the Clone Wars! Get the Holocron!) 2) Character development for ancillary characters (Sato) 3) A focus on the theme of building a wider rebellion (small goal of fight for one world or work for greater cause of toppling Empire 4) Ezra applying lessons he learned in his own character development, linking the episode to others. 5) Small goal that is accomplished with some difficulty, making the Empire seem not entirely incompetent. This is actually kind of what I hoped for in a kids show about building a rebellion. I gather this is a minority opinion from others' responses but yeah, I kinda hope for more of this kind of stuff.

Sluice Friggins likes this.
  18. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Disappointing again...

I repost my comment from the Thrawn topic:

Another disappointing episode, exactly as I predicted: Thrawn lets them escape AGAIN.
    I think we are all getting tired of this. Will he do that every time? come on! he better destroy the whole rebel cell at the end or all of this would have been for nothing.

Because of that Thrawn does not seem useful and not menacing at all, the heroes escape all the time, undamaged, unharmed...

And the Iron squadron... just annoying teenagers trying to fight the Empire alone... But the Imperials are so lame in Rebels, it's so easy to defeat them with a small ship against a whole Imperial fleet... ridiculous.

Order66Survivor and Hyrum_Solo like this.
  19. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    This is probably my least favoured episode of the season so far.

20. Sluice Friggins

Sluice Friggins Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 23, 2015
    8/10
    Highlights:
    1. YT 2400 - beautiful animated shots and maneuvers!
    2. Thrawn just sitting back, relaxed, contemplating the chess board. Patience, padawans.
    3. Mart - the kid's kinda psycho. The rebellion picked up some interesting recruits.
    4. The throwback sound effect of the hyperdrive failing gave me goosebumps!!!
    5. The very last thing you see before the credits, Chopper hitting the other droid, made me squirt drink out of my nose.

21. A Lovable Jerk

A Lovable Jerk Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2015
    A decent episode, but it might be the weakest of the season so far, but it was awesome to see Sato get some development (finally) and I liked the crew as characters (plus they finally got those space waffles in)

22. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Wow. What a boring, pointless filler episode. This episode contributed absolutely nothing to the overall plot.

23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Dropping cargo is gonna be code word on SW for taking a deuce on our brains.

Knowing Rebels, it will likely be Sato that defeats Thrawn,lol.

24. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    While there were quite a few things I liked (a YT-2400 in action of course, some more background on Commander Sato, and Thrawn deliberately setting Konstantine up for defeat just to understand one of his enemies), this episode was honestly kinda underwhelming for coming after ANOTHER one-week hiatus. Going by the Rebels Recon, I understand they were going or an opportunity for Ezra to relate to some rebellious teens who were similar to him in Season 1 (being Robin Hood for their home planet, but in over their heads and unaware of the bigger picture of the rebellion), but they just didn't do enough with the idea. Unless the writers do something with Thrawn's analysis of Sato and don't completely forget about the Iron Squadron's existence (and actually show them growing more experienced or having become so), I otherwise don't see how this episode will have long-term significance.

In layman's terms, this is the current weak-link of Season 3.

But at the very least, we won't have to go through a third one-week hiatus before the next episode.

25. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    Let me state upfront that I will continue watching this show because I really enjoy SW-related stuff. Having said that, this show feels redundant and mostly uncreative during what could be a great opportunity in the short period prior to ANH. The show makes the Empire look so incompetent. I get it, the good guys need to win, but that win doesn't mean anything if the Empire is such a pushover organization. At this point, you'd think the Ghost would be Enemy #1 for the entire Empire, with as much damage as has been inflicted. At this point (and I hope it changes real soon), Thrawn looks like an idiot who needs immediate replacing by the Emperor for his complete ineffectiveness commensurate with his lofty rank. This episode gets a 3/10 from me.