main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.09 - The Wynkahthu Job - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 23, 2016.

1. A Lovable Jerk

A Lovable Jerk Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 6, 2015
    A really good comedy episode, but what really sold it was the snappy dialogue and voice performances. Hondo was, as always, hilarious and the introduction of those sentry droids was sweet, and they finally got those bombs.

Also, I think this is AP-5's first real appearance this season (as in speaking), and he was great too, I half expect that he kept 'forgetting' to tell them things on purpose.

Great funny bits that stuck out were Hondo and Kanan's 'seeing' jokes. And this exchange between Chopper, Ezra, and Zeb:

Chopper: (Chopper noises)
    Ezra: What do you mean every man for himself?! You're a droid!
    Zeb: I hope you run outta fuel!

Master_Rebado likes this.
  2. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Finally! A decent episode after the fiasco with Fenn Rau and the Iron Squadron. This was by far one of the best episodes we've seen all season. Hondo and Azmorgan adn AP-5. See Rebels Staff? You can make a decent episode when you want to. Those Darktroopers were also amazing. I actually thought Azmorgan had taken that first one down for a moment.

3. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    So it's not so much the dark troopers of old as much as it is bootleg versions thereof?

4. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    As I expected, it was sort of fillerish (aside from the Phoenix Cell gaining the proton bombs they mentioned earlier in the season), but it was definitely more enjoyable than last week's episode thanks to the characters involved and the humor their interactions create. And that door gag was well done. And so were the accidental blindness jokes from Hondo to Kanan (and some needed acknowledgement since recent episodes didn't treat his blindness like an issue, even if fighting blind is one of the first things Jedi are taught). However, as much as I like that they brought the Dark Trooper design onto the Imperial cargo transport's sentry droids (it's not really clear if they actually ARE Dark Troopers, per se), I think solely making them security guards for cargo ships would be wasted potential for the show. These droids are nowhere near as pathetic as your average stormtrooper and can take a bit more punishment.

On a side note, it's good to see AP-5 again after only being mentioned once this season.

Sandtrooper956 likes this.
  5. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    Gahmah Raan
    I was glad to see AP again too, I really enjoyed him and his interactions with Chopper and the rest of the crew at the end of season 2 and am kinda disappointed we didn't see him again until now. Im just glad they haven't completely forgotten about him however.

6. CloneofVader

CloneofVader Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    I hope not. Azmorigan my favorite in this episode.
    First filler in this boring season i actually like.
    7.5\10

7. Fuzzy ambassador

Fuzzy ambassador Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2012
    Geeze Ezra, nice of you to mock Zeb's captain status after he was so willing to take the fall for you/with you a couple episodes back..=((

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  8. Save The Children

Save The Children Jedi Padawan

Oct 20, 2014
    The bickering between characters is highly annoying and juvenile, it had its place in season One, now it's time to move on.

TheOneX_Eleazar and SilentGuy66 like this.
  9. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    I really like how they portray Ezra this season. I mean he's absolutely annoying but at the same time he's like 100% typical teenager - with mood swings, sudden and not planned cruelty (that "captain" to Zeb uuu nasty stuff), reckless and thinking the whole world is against him etc.

Great job Rebels team, I want to hit him hard most of the time, but I am very grateful he's not an idolized average tv teenager.

10. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Ezra messed with the Dark Side. He shouldn't go back to being a good person afterwards. This is exactly what he should be.

11. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    He's just being a teenager, kids can be cruel and often have short memories! I enjoyed Hondo and Azmorigan, but I didn't love that the Dark Trooper-style sentries weren't a major threat. Anyway, here's my recap of this episode.

12. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    I can't believe there was a time when i wanted Hondo dead, lol. I also liked Azmorigan, James Hong is hilarious.

13. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Was it me or was everyone in full on b**** mode in this episode particular Ezra and Hera.

Plus I wondered how long it'd last before the show cast off it's mature tone to resort to blind jokes:rolleyes:

Vialco likes this.
  14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I really liked that episode, sure Hondo is more used for comedic purposes than during TCW but it was relaxing to see. Not every episode has to be drama heavy, or Thrawn and his mysterious plans.
    + Hondo episode (2 blind jokes in less than a minute)
    + Love the conversation about Kanan wanting Ezra to learn by himself that Hondo is not the "friend" he believes he is.
    + Zeb is in charge this time, was starting to believe he no longer existed.
    + I liked the Sentry Droid's designs
    + Return of AP-5, not too helpful to the mission though.
    + Hondo's reaction to what's in the crate at the end of the episode was just priceless.
    -/+ Ezra's reaction to Zeb being in charge reminds me of old Ezra.
    -/+ Not seeing much of Wynkahthu, more diverse planet would be greatly appreciated.
    -/+ Is there any other pirates than Honddo in this era?
    - Azmorigan, still don't like his design. At all.

Pretty much what I expected, a fun episode that didn't take itself too seriously and compared to last week's episode I can watch it again without getting bored which is a plus to me.
    8/10

15. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Shows how much Ezra still needs to learn and how honourable Zeb is.

Fuzzy ambassador likes this.
  16. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    In my opinion, this show was better than last week's. Mostly filler, but watchable at least. I agree with an earlier post that Hondo is funny but over-used on this show, instead of seeing the main characters get more development of their own.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Fair enough I just wanted to know.

18. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I would actually argue that Holocrons of Fate did not contribute to the overall story and is one of the most filler-ish episode of the season so far, along with Imperial Supercommandos. If Kanan and Ezra hadn't reconciled their differences in it then I would argue that it was a completely pointless episode as far as the "main story" goes. Aside from that scene, it's just Force mysticism. Similarly, Imperial Supercommandos is just internal Mandalorian politics aside from the fact that they managed to recruit Fenn Rau to the Rebellion at the end - otherwise, it's just filler.

This makes me wonder whether people really care about the overall story since these sideplot episodes have been better received. Perhaps Rebels should go back to being a series of random chronicles like TCW rather than trying to have an overarching plotline.

19. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Sigh this was a filler AGAIN- after a very bad filler Iron Squadron it was an alright filler though, but very disappointing how "dark troopers" didn't get their own episode after all and how harmless battle droids they turned out to be. They couldn't even kill that damn Azmorigan off- is it just me or is this show getting even more kid-friendly than before.... well maybe it has always been more childish than The Clone Wars, but seems that no one dies anymore or even gets injured at all- what sort of war is it? Ok there was that one redshirt in Wedge-episode but he has been only one this season to die if I remember right...

+ Main idea of salvaging a treasure ship is nice idea for a filler episode
    + Hondo's imperial shuttle was nicely decorated
    + "Dark trooper" design was good
    + Hondo was funny as always

-No one really needed this episode- there have been plenty of Hondo already, also we have seen enough of Azmorigan IMO... ok rebels get their proton bombs hurrah....
    - Azmorigan was somewhat irritating. Didn't really find him funny. "I'm a hero" was nice moment though... but why he couldn't die- he should've been shot by those imperial droids.... now he is going to be another constantly re-used character in this show[face_tired]

20. CnlSandersdeKFC

CnlSandersdeKFC Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2015
    Step 1: Think you just saw a wonderful episode.
    Step 2: Go to the forums, expecting praise.
    Step 3: Realize once again that Star Wars fans are the most ungrateful fandom there is, and continue to have an inaccurate definition of filler.

21. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    This episode was clearly not very important what comes to main story. If any episode of Rebels is a filler, this definitely is one.
    Of course this show doesn't need actual fillers that air between real episodes because material is not ready or any other reason like that (If you mean that with actual definition of filler)

La Calavera and Master_Rebado like this.
  22. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Do you know what the main story is?

23. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

They used an immoral guest character to get those jokes in. Clever writers, using a proxy character to make a joke that they've probably wanted to make since the premiere.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  24. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Ironic that last week during iron squadron I was like "this isn't too bad, original characters no cameos, ezra acting mature....."
    *heads to forums*
    IRON SQUADRON IS THE WORST REBELS EPISODE EVER!!!!

This week I was like "this is awful the comedy is so cringe worthy and the characters are acting so annoying...."
    *heads to forums*

ONE OF THE BEST EPISODE THIS SEASON!!!!

Proof in my mind that the star wars fanbase is unpredictable but ultimately loveable

DBPirate and La Calavera like this.
  25. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Of course this isn´t a definitive answer, it´s just my point of view, but if it helps... for me the main storyline is about the orphaned Ezra finding both a new family (linking him with the larger Rebellion thanks to Hera) and his Force Powers (which ties with Kanan own arc from estranged padawan to jedi master). That´s why for me every episode in season 1 where the Grand Inquisitor appeared moved to story along, because it moved things forward in this respect.

In comes Vader, and reset the main characters earlier victories to nothing, and the two new Inquisitors, who force Kanan and Ezra to continue improving their force abilities in order to survive. The Inquisitors beat them, making light of Kanan´s and Ezra´s need to continue to progress, and force Ahsoka to reveal herself, chase them off Garel and keep the whole Rebellion on the run looking for a base. They must be dealt with. Same thinks Vader of Ahsoka, and it comes to a showdown in Malachor with Ahsoka presumed dead and the Inquisitors finally defeated... mainly by Maul.

Now Ezra is tempted by the dark side thanks to a Sith Holocron (and Maul), risking all progress made by Kanan with the kid to be undone. Meanwhile Thrawn, as Tarkin before him, looks to destroy the Rebellion they are working for. Pretty much this, to me, sums up the main story of Rebels. Sorry if I extended myself, but for me it helps understand why so many episodes this season are seen as fillers even if they can be entertaining in their own right, and why characters like the Inquisitors, Maul, and perhaps the Bendu are important to move the story forward...