main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.09 - The Wynkahthu Job - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 23, 2016.

1. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I do think this episode was filler. I mean, even if they use the bombs in some other episode, I just don’t think it was all that necessary to tell the story of how they got them. Plus we already know that Ezra is too trusting and never learns his lessons, and he also thinks he is entitled to more, we don’t need another episode to repeat that.

But I don’t think fillers are necessarily a bad thing (unless it's Naruto fillers). They can be good entertainment when they are well-written. It’s also part of the Star Wars narrative to have filler-ish parts. I view this episode as the equivalent to the Rathar scene in TFA.

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't think this show is about Hondo at least- main story is about this small group of rebels but we don't need to see every little operation they are doing only important stuff like character development, major happenings in their life. Only that really belongs to the "main story" IMO.

When Thrawn was introduced it was obvious he is going to be important so at this moment main story would be moving Thrawn's plan forward- how he is going to use all the information against these rebels? Another main story point is Maul and how he is going to use the information he received from holocrons? Sure some little things are like minor character development, like Zeb being the boss now after Ezra being rather irresponsible on Y-wing mission etc. But nothing really that big happened.

I see that this show is really about 5 main characters (Ezra, Kanan, Hera, Sabine and Zeb) who have different backgrounds and are allied as a sort of family. Only thing they all have in common is really the animosity towards the Empire (of course Kanan and Ezra are also jedi without an order)- some episodes focus on one of the characters and move his/her story forward. Like Imperial Supercommandos told more about Sabine's home world and her mother which naturally moved her story forward a little bit. Even Iron Squadron told more about Commander Sato, but this episode didn't really tell anything more about Hondo and in the end he received nothing and his story didn't really go anywhere. Only Azmorigan really got some development since he used to be kind of gangster boss but now he has to do his dirty work himself which shows how his career has went downward. About main five no one received notable development.

jakobitis89 and Master_Rebado like this.
  3. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    Have to say, while this episode wasn't "important" to the greater plot, I think it was important to Ezra and Hondo. I really enjoyed this episode all around. For whatever reason, I liked the bickering and goofs. It was very entertaining from start to finish.

Can't believe people are turning against Hondo! So surprised to hear that, and...kind of sad, too. Oh well.

I don't mind these side adventures. The rebels should be able to get into lower-stakes shenanigans in between dueling Sith Lords. Even the X-Men took time to go to the mall and play beach volleyball every now and again. A romp with Hondo is always welcome in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  4. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Pretty sure those proton bombs will be useful for next week episode judging by the preview in Rebels Recon.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Star Wars fans hating everything since 1977

Zer0 and CnlSandersdeKFC like this.
  6. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    So very true.

7. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Another learning episode for Ezra. Not the greatest pacing, having 2 Ezra-learning episodes in a row, but the show was fine. It makes you wonder how 'bad' Hondo is. We know he's greedy and treacherous, but he always has such a great attitude, he is hard to pin down as a threat. He does not seem to care one way or another about hurting people, he's very social about being with others, but he's also so completely self-centered that he is dangerous.

8. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    I thought Ezra already learned that Hondo was untrustworthy back in Season 2's Broken Horn, especially since he said he could've ended up alone like him. Why does he need to relearn the obvious?

9. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015

Well, um, Kanan's learned to BELIEVE IN HIMSELF a few times, too. I kinda like that the main characters of this show aren't infinitely smart, and do have to learn the same lesson a few times for it to stick. This is especially true of Ezra, who seems to make forward progress (last episode) and backward progress (this episode). As much as I love dear Ahsoka, sometimes in TCW she learned her lessons too well, and consequently didn't come across like a real person.

10. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I recently looked up who voiced Hondo and It turns out it is Jim Cummings, Jim also voices Winnie The Pooh! Being a big fan of Hondo and the first episode with Lando of Rebels, I absolutely loved this episode!!!!

11. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    He sounds like Antonio Banderas lol.

12. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    I liked this one. The exact type of victory I'm ok with a pre-Alliance rebel group having. Hopefully they'll do more with the Dark Trooper assets they made.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  13. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    +1 Hondo finally feeling like Hondo instead of a caricature of Hondo.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  14. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Between CW and Rebels, I've had my fill of Hondo as well. They should give Lando another episode if they need to bring in a pirate element.

15. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    as TheOneX_Eleazar mentioned, this was the first time for a while that Hondo actually felt like the original Hondo (charming but still ultimately a dick) rather than Ezra's wacky uncle type. On the other hand, the plot was still exactly the same as pretty much every Hondo episode - he comes up with a deal, everyone knows he's going to try and screw them over... which he does, but it still works out okay eventually.

Other than that, nice to see Zeb getting to plan the mission and actually be perfectly competent if not spectacularly so (though while Hondo not mentioning those droids is well within character, their helpful droid companion forgetting it seems a little... contrived.) Sadly our other three Ghosts did exactly nothing but that's not new. Hopefully this will turn out to be one of the episodes that turns out to be more relevant in the long run than first apparent...

16. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    This show is losing me. This is the first episode I've watched half-heartedly in a while. Doing my best as a Star Wars junkie but it doesn't have the same appeal as TCW. Writing, characters and story arcs are inferior. The juicy stuff is right in front of them...Wedge, Thrawn, Maul, VADER (although I know using him detracts from everything else), the Emperor, Leia...but they continue to pump out heartless episodes lacking humor (Chopper is not funny!!), substance and full of bickering among the Ghost crew, spearheaded by Ezra.

As a relatively still young person/fan, I always identify with the youthful protagonist (or main character) but Ezra is the same every episode. Learning lessons very slowly and forgetting them by the next episode.

I really liked the novel A New Dawn by John Jackson Miller. But everything that novel introduced --particularly the awesomeness of Kanan and and Hera-- have gone by the wayside.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Hondo should be done for this season if we go off the trailer.

18. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    But you know that the trailer only showed clips from the first half of the season, right? Unless there are one or two very specific shots that are yet to come up, that I cannot think of.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Sabine hasn't wielded the Darksaber yet, despite that appearing in one of the trailers.

Vialco likes this.
  20. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    And you know that we still have 2 episodes before the mid-season finale, right? One of which is revisiting Maul stuff? It's perfectly possible that the Darksaber will appear in this episode.

Anyway, we're talking about future episodes which is off-topic and not allowed in the episode discussion threads.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Though it's mini-modding, it's also correct. Y'all pay heed.

22. Mr Bogan

Mr Bogan Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 28, 2016
    I don't like this Hondo. There's no danger, just comic relief. I thought the episode was ok, but oddly enough I liked "Iron Squadron" much, much more.

The best from this episode? Captain Aurelios. I think Zeb is the least respected main character and not even "Legends of the Lasat" gave him the status I think he deserves. Then again, I did like "Honourable Ones" too, but that one was more about a learning curve for Kallus then it was about Zeb.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Could not get into this episode, although I did LOL at "bombs first."

Ezra was back to being an angsty teenager who gets pissed off when his ego is not stroked.

Azmormisogynist is as creepy as ever. You know what would have improved this episode? Hera kicking someone in the crotch.

And yeah, Hondo is overrated. I thought as much during TCW as well.

The rescue at the end was OK.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  24. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014

Actually, I thought the same thing. With all the teenage angst going on in this episode, Hera really should have her boot meet some family jewels in an abrupt manner.

25. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Why did the droids spare Zeb and Azmorigan again?

Oh wait I know PLOT ARMOUR!