main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.09 - The Wynkahthu Job - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 23, 2016.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Imagine the outcry if it was the other way around. A male character intentionally punching a lady in the breasts.

Of course that is rightfully viewed as bad if it does happen in fiction, but for some strange reason a man getting his precious kicked is sometimes made as funny.

I say Rebels should avoid any more crotch shots.

Zejo the Jedi likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In an episode in which a woman "jokes" about buying a man and owning him, or discusses it seriously, or comments/insinuates that the main reason that men exist is for her sexual pleasure-- I would think a scene such as the one you described would be perfectly acceptable.

That's what happened to Hera in the Lando episode and this one but rarely happens to male characters, nor do male characters in either TCW or Rebels have the terrible depiction history that female Twi'leks have.

3. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Well we had Miraj in TCW... but she died.

4. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014

Because in this instance, it was guys being annoying. So they needed a kick. If it was Sabine or Hera being that annoying, then we cross that bridge at the right time.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    There are other ways Hera could deal with an annoying guy that doesn't delve into abuse of male genitals. If a lady character said something sexist or mean to our heroic male character, he shouldn't resort to hurting her "parts".

Zejo the Jedi likes this.
  6. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think Hera punching/kicking Lando was one of the best moments in entire Rebels show- it was seriously deserved considering how Lando used her. It may not have been right but sure it was an understandable reaction. It was not depicted in a way we can actually tell whether or not she actually aimed at his crotch or just punched him in stomach. Sure everyone get the impression Lando got kicked in the nuts because of his reaction.

7. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014

Look, I don't care where she kicks them, but they deserved it.

8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Kanan was no angel as he also got Hera into that predicament along with the entire crew being jeopardized due to him and Zeb. Hera has a temper, and is pretty physically violent. I remember her reactions when she learned Zeb and Kanan lost Chopper, she punched Kanan in the arm or shoulder from what I recall and it was not a soft hit but anger. Lando was sleazy as that was his character of con artist and seducer type(same as Han) and the character seemed played more on the camp side probably more cause of the adult themes. Lando got hit cause he successfully conned/sold Hera into slavery, and it was something she was too was partly willingly responsible for herself as she went along with even after what was on the table, "a deal is a deal" . So she likely would also blamed herself for allowing herself into that predicament despite she knew better than to trust or rely on Lando who was without scruples while Hera is the opposite. Women get hit on this show and in SW as do men and even young children(who themselves are quite violent. I think its in this case namely, overthinking or over reacting to the violence is kinda wrong and seems to be inserting too much PC. Women can and often are on SW just as violent as the men in most cases from what I recall. Didnt Ventress set up kid Fett to be "the bride" to very creepy obese birdfish headed alien king - and if it was not SW one could interpret she left Boba to be sodomized and raped by that creature who seemed no better than a Jabba. Lets just enjoy the shows and SW which is still at heard a traditional family program but something both the kids and adults can understand.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Uh...no.

If you are concerned about politics being inserted into Star Wars, stop pretending that a woman being sold into slavery or in any way viewed as nothing more than an object to be possessed is in any way her fault or acceptable, or should be given a pass because "Lando was a con artist and that's what con artists do." Stop pretending that Boba selling the young girl as a "bride" (to be sodomized and raped, as you said) is OK but Ventress turning the tables on Boba and putting him in the situation he wanted the girl in, is somehow terrible.

THAT is political, even if the depiction of women as those who should submit to men and be blamed for any violence done against them is a depiction that you personally find acceptable.

If you can relax and enjoy a "family friendly" show that depicts an innocent woman being fed to a rancor or tied to a slug but a misogynist getting kicked in the crotch (or speared with a lightsaber) is "too PC," that says more about your values than the quality of the show.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  10. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    She atoned for her cruel actions in her last moments. She told Anakin that he was right about her and she told him where to find his friend. Miraj Scintel may have been a cruel being but she had a spark of goodness in her, and she used her last breath to do some good.

11. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015
    I think that TCW slaver arc did well is it showed the real cruelty of the practice, it showed the outrage the Good Guys felt upon seeing what the Zygerrians were actually doing, and it showed why the Good Guys' efforts to help weren't enough to immediately solve the problem. It actually explored the issue of slavery rather than just depicting a slave, and leaving less attentive viewers to wonder if she was the requisite hot bikini girl every movie is supposed to have.

I spent two years of my life in the captivity of an abusive man. I've lost count of how many people have told me its "not appropriate" to discuss what happened to me. Like, somehow, if we ignore the problem, it'll not exist. That's not true in real life, and that's not true in what we allow our children to watch. My son knows where my crooked ribs and electrocution scars come from. He knows why my survival instinct is so strong, and my emotions so muted. He knows there is great evil in this world, and that we must push back against that darkness. He and I discussed it in other contexts -- war, terrorism, indigenous peoples, corruption -- as we watched TCW together. When something terrible would surface in the news, I would almost always be able to relate it to an episode we'd seen. I truly believe that watching that show has helped my son be prepared for the real world.

Women being abused and restricted is a thing that's been happening ever since men discovered they were larger and stronger, and could therefore do so. That this is also true in the Star Wars galaxy is unsurprising. What's more interesting, to me, is how it's treated. We were introduced to the issue by way of Oola, the cantina girl, and then later, Anakin and his mother. They were slaves within the context of organized crime, but we've also now seen the Empire condones slavery, too. Now that the Jedi are gone, is anyone in the galaxy making an honest effort to combat this? Will our characters care and try to help, or will they turn the other way? How does Hera feel, feigning to be a servant in a house full of other Twi'leks who didn't escape that fate? Is Sabine right about her mother being bullied by Saxon into joining the Empire? When these questions aren't asked or answered, the implication, of course is, that the suffering of the women involved is unimportant.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    NOT giving that post a "like" because of what happened to you, but because the comments on how movies and shows depict abuse of women is so well put.

In the 80s, what happened to Oola and Leia was less important than how they looked. I am glad that is changing, and that both TCW and Rebels are depicting women fighting back as much as they are able.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Those are definitely interesting questions. The EU occasionally dwelt on the "slavery is illegal but underground" issue in the New Republic. The Crystal Star for example had it as a major plot point.

14. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Better than the last episode but not spectacular. Overall an average episode. I liked the droids and thought their designs were cool and Hera giving Azmorigan a piece of her mind was cool too. What I liked best about this episode was that it gave Zeb some action. I like that because he's my favorite character in this show.

But I am getting a bit sick of Hondo and I wouldn't mind the show taking a break from him for a while. Some of the jokes felt forced and it gave us whiny/angsty Ezra again. I didn't like the fact that those droids in this episode felt more threatening than the Empire itself either.

5/10

15. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I thought this a better episode than the last one but it still kind of felt like a filler episode, for lack of a better term. One thing I really liked about it was seeing Zeb get to lead, I feel like there is a great character in Zeb that we really don't get to see that often because we have to have Ezra making fun of him or screwing something up. I also think I'm over having Hondo pop up every few episodes.

16. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    You can never have enough Hondo. The fact that everyone on the Ghost except Ezra hates him is just a bonus.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    The opening scene of this episode was the best part, and I felt like this episode was a return to the fun banter that has lately been missing from the show. From Ezra’s apologetic smile that he managed to hold the entire time, it’s obvious that the rest of the crew is disgusted at the pirates, but Ezra still really likes Hondo, and he wants them to get along, which simply isn’t happening.

Azmorigan’s “Technically, I still own you,” line was great. The gag with the hole in the door was also very amusing.

Finally, the first blind joke! It seems appropriate that Hondo made it because I don’t think any of the Ghost crew would dare to crack a joke at Kanan’s expense since it seems too painful for them to talk about. But for Hondo its seemed totally natural, so it was perfect that he was the one to say it.

Ezra seemed surprisingly bitter towards Zeb when the Lasat got assigned as leader of the mission, which was immature on Ezra’s part, considering that Zeb usually acts as Ezra’s loyal sidekick. I’m guessing that would be because they’re working with Hondo and he expects to be put in charge of a mission led by Hondo, but it still seemed immature that he almost throws a bit of a tantrum when he doesn’t quite get what he wants.

It was nice to see Zeb actually have a part. The Lasat has been very unloved this season and has been very much thrown in the background.

Surprisingly, I actually liked Azmorigan this episode. They turned the annoying guy into someone likable. I was certain twice in that episode – first when he disappeared and secondly when he took on that sentinel droid – that he was toast, but I guess he ended up alive and well.

I was glad they didn’t go the predictable route of Ezra ending up realizing that all Hondo cares about is profit. Ezra is extremely gullible around Hondo, so I liked that even though he had a few issues with the pirate in the middle of the episode, by the end you could still see that Ezra still loves the old pirate.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What do you mean every man for himself?
    You're a droid!
    I hope you run out of fuel!