main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.10 - An Inside Man - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 30, 2016.

1. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    That would be a great reveal after all someone must have told Tarkin thus explaining why Pryce believes in Thrawn so much!

2. huda

huda Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2016
    I'm wondering why there were only 10 Workers. The factory felt quite empty.

3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

...I don't know about that, they're already doing a pretty good job of beating Thrawn. They outmanuevered him on Ryloth, snuck dissidents out from under his nose, and evaded his traps on Lothal, escaping from his factory and obtaining the plans for his vaunted secret weapon. So far Thrawn has had zero success in stopping the Rebels. Sometimes it seems like he isn't even trying to destroy them, he just keeps observing and taking notes but doesn't take any action.

4. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    This is just telling of how much the show is trying to over-reach itself. Not only is the ratio of original characters to established characters something really close to 1:1 (minor characters included), but we've seen the introduction of: A-wings, B-wings, Tie Interceptors and now Tie Defenders all before the Battle of Yavin. For the sake of the show, the technological advancement of the Galactic Civil War has become completely static (and the War hasn't even started yet.) Is this really a fair trade for increasing views?

Vorax likes this.
  5. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Thrawn wasn't defeated on Ryloth, he very clearly let them escape and seemed pleased by watching them work. He was barely involved in the Mykapo encounter and seemed to be testing Konstantine's worth rather than trying to actively stop the Rebels, only showing up to save Konstantine's life when the latter sent out a distress call. Other than Ezra and Kanan escaping the factory, Thrawn himself hasn't suffered a direct defeat, and even the events on Lothal ended with him discovering a high ranking traitor.

theraphos and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    He's doing the same things the GI and Vader were doing, there is no real "tactic". Its what they d in the films. Each time they escape and recruit and rebuild, the evil doers are defeated thats how it works. This catch and release stuff never works as its not meant to cause its fake. Its just a bad way of telling stories and keeping it rolling.

7. Flex Madine

Flex Madine Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 17, 2015
    I do wonder if any of the Rebels are already embedded on Team Thrawn.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I enjoyed this episode much more than the last two or three. I thought the factory infiltration and sabotage was brilliant, and the Imperial team inspecting when it did--and how it did--gave just the "oh hell" moment that the team needed. I also liked Kallus revealing himself as Fulcrum and getting the appropriate level of mistrust.

My only issue is that Thrawn is as ahead of the game as he was in the Legends books, to the point of inviting suspension of disbelief. He knows Kallus is Fulcrum? Really?

9/10

Danifae and CIS Droid like this.
  9. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    It wasn't clear that he knew Kallus was fulcrum, him saying "wouldn't you agree, agent Kallus" is most likely just for dramatic effect. He might suspect Kallus, but thats about it.

10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Was heavily implied that he was suspicious of him or that he knew it was him with or without proof or facts(not that he needs them to do summary executions).

11. Danifae

Danifae Jedi Master star 1

Aug 23, 2004
    It's been years since I read any of the Thrawn novels but he did have a flair for the dramatic and engaged with lesser Imperials by asking them questions.

Thrawn's question could indeed have been innocuous with no sly insinuation meant; that scene was great in that it conjured real palpable tension, a closing trap for Kallus with small chance of escape.

His other comment in that sequence about levers seemed somewhat clumsy and counter-productive if he knows for a fact or suspects that Kallus is working against him.

It's because he's explicitly warned Kallus he's onto him (or seems to be but doesn't actually believe its him because he possibly assumes that all ISB agents are die-hard zealots for Imperial ideology) and that he's very attentive and vigilant for variables with which to manipulate people. However knowing about someone's machinations and manipulations doesn't necessarily mean Kallus or whoever else can avoid the trap.

In the Thrawn trilogy, Thrawn made a similar speech about monitoring unusual behaviour in the Noghri and punishing them severely if they didn't toe the line - but he completely overlooked and overestimated the loyalty of and danger posed by his bodyguard, Rukh. I believe Rukh was present at the time. Perhaps the scene with Kallus is a parallel?

Kallus is going to be pretty shafted, whatever the scenario. =((

12. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    I think there was definitely something to that scene where he asked Kallus' opinion on the symbol of the Phoenix squadron. Kallus displayed quite a bit of understanding towards the rebel point of view when he made the comment, so I could see Thrawn filing away that piece of information and then later connecting it to Kallus letting Kanan and Ezra escape, hence his comment about Kallus' report being "very helpful".

13. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

Don't make me laugh. Sumar? INNOCENT? you mean that saboteur who willingly KILLED many men by modificating the speeders? he is a murderer, no less. He did sabotage in order to kill people, and he did (see the soldiers who died just before on the speeders, and many others before that I'm sure). Sumar is a killer and totally deserved death.

And stop comparing Vader and Thrawn, they are not the same type of enemies, Vader is "physical", he is a Sith, of course he will directly confront the heroes, fight, be more agressive, because he is like this.

Thrawn is not "physical", he wouldn't stand a chance in a fight against 2 Jedi, so of course he will not directly attack them. He sets up a plan and it is a large scale plan, so yes, we have to wait until we see the result. It can seem boring to some impatient people, but I hope that we will be rewarded at the end for our patience and see the rebels being crushed.

Jedi_Kenobi32 likes this.
  14. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Right, but unless the main characters we've been following actually suffer some direct personal ramifications from whatever Thrawn does then it's going to feel really, really cheap to me, no matter how long-term/'epic' this plan of his is supposed to be. So a bunch of ships that aren't the Ghost blow up? Eh. Oh look, a horde of nameless extras just died! Meh. Hey that guy appeared two seasons ago, man I'm so heartbroken he's gone... not. Meanwhile the ones who Thrawn let go again and again and again and again to make this happen keep on keeping on.

That's why Vader is and will be a better villain for this kind of show, because he is the type who will get his hands dirty and jump in his TIE or wield a lightsaber and come after them directly and personally. His establishing moment in Rebels was his single-handed crushing of the entire crew and sending them running (and THEN let them get away as part of his plan.) Thrawn just doesn't feel remotely threatening on a personal level.

CloneofVader and fett 4 like this.
  15. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    A much improved episode in comparison to the last couple. I really didn't expect Morad to die, but I think we all saw the reveal about Kallus coming. Thrawn is likely going to monitor Kallus very closely now that he suspects foul play. It's also interesting to finally see Pryce on Lothal. I always wondered what she was doing with Kallus and Thrawn in the earlier episodes of Season 3 since she is the governor of Lothal.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    She's the governor of the whole Lothal sector - not just the planet:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/governor-pryce

Darth Dnej likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I ghighly doubt it's really for increasing viewership except maybe in the case of Rex, Ahsoka and Thrawn they probobly think it's cool or would make sens for the story.

18. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    But seriously, how big is the seventh fleet? It better not be true that it's only two star destroyers+minor stuff.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  19. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015
    Yeah, Thrawn deserves way more than that.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  20. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    The reason for Morad's death was not to invoke an emotional reaction like sadness out of the audience. No. The reason for his death was to emphasize how cruel Thrawn is. The farmer's death was used to frighten the workers into submission so they wouldn't dare mess with any equipment again. It was a "make an example out of them" type death.

If anything the reactions from an audience who watched Morad's death would probably be surprise/amazement/shock. Especially if they didn't see the preview beforehand or predicted that he would be rescued at the last minute. Getting a heartbroken/sad reaction out his death from viewers is not what the episode's writer was striving for.

It is no different than when the Clone Wars showed Bolla Ropal being tortured to death in order to emphasize how cruel Cad Bane is. It wasn't like the audience had a super emotional attachment to Ropal either.

21. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Yeah, Thrawn's fleet should probably be 10 star destroyers, frigates, shuttles, etc.

A thing I also dislike is that rebels overuse AT-DP and Gozanti-class cruisers (Sure I think specifically Gozanti-class cruisers fine because it's cool to see that there is a downgrade from star destroyers which superiors can use as an alternative to their massive star destroyers), but can feel overused. I believe at the end of the Thrawn and Hera episode, after everything exploded, Thrawn was all alone in the air in a Gozanti-- I mean he's a grand admiral.. Also, AT-DPs are over used. I don't even like them anymore for the sake of an "alternative" like the Gozanti, because I don't believe we have even seen the sight of an AT-ST.

22. MandaloreRex2015

MandaloreRex2015 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2015
    I was under the impression that the workers were just divided into different groups for different sections of the assembly line and we only saw one group.

CIS Droid likes this.
  23. daniel brown

daniel brown Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2015
    Who else noticed when the AT ST collapsed, the music sounded like the GTA 4 Main Theme.

24. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Yeah, that Thrawn is a total meanie, how cruel he is, how heartless... unless you're a main cast member in which case, your safe and sound. Thrawn can cut his way through as many extras as he likes, as cruelly as they can get away with... still won't make him feel like an actual threat to our heroes at all.

fett 4 likes this.
  25. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

When you read the Thrawn trilogy, the exact same thing happens. Luke, Leia and the others always escape, it's very frustrating. Leia could hide TWICE from Thrawn while she was some meters away on Honoghr, Luke could escape TWICE with the same trick (jam the sensors and go in hyperdrive), Mara could extract Karrde so easily in the Chimaera like if it was nothing and could escape with him...

It seems that in Star Wars, when you're a villain, you are cursed, who are meant to fail even if you're far better than the heroes. The heroes always win (at least the main cast) even if it's just by luck.

I would like the antagonists to win for once, yes. But apart from Revenge of the Sith, we couldn't see that much... (or even never)...

A character can win only if he's not the main enemy of the story (that's why we see Thrawn win in Outbound flight, Choices of One, Crisis of Faith, and other novels). But as long as a character is an antagonist, that character is doomed :(