main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.10 - An Inside Man - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Nov 30, 2016.

1. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Thrawn killing minor characters isn't to establish his threat level to the Rebels, it's to build his own character and show how he thinks. He's cold and analytical and won't hesistate to ruthlessly kill someone who tries to impede the Empire's efforts. There's no agenda with Thrawn or petty sadism, just pure ideological devotion to the Empire.

It's clear to me that they're being very deliberate with how much they use and how fast they move Thrawn's arc along. So far he's only appeared at length in two episodes this season, that's a drop in the ocean for a 22 episode season.

theraphos, MandaloreRex2015 and Vana like this.
  2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    In ANH, it's Vaders plan to let them go to find the Rebel Base, which works (Rebels have used this plot device for 3 seasons now and multiple times for Thrawn) and it's clearly shown he would have killed Luke and Yavin moon destroyed if Han had not come back at the very last second.

The Empire Strikes Back clearly has the Empire win the battle of Hoth, Boba Fett out smarts Han and Vader defeats Han and Co with his bare hands by himself while during the fight with Luke he was pretty much in control the whole time. He also had his own deeper game. While Han was killed off in all but name.

Both times there are clear victories. Now the good guys win in the end. That's how it goes but the villains do need to do something first to justify this accomplishment otherwise it's NOT an accomplishment.

Also Thrawn was seen as good compared to some of the other Bantam villains, which were pretty awful in jmo. Though he didnt really do that much and by Zahns sequels, the Hand of Thrawn books, he started hyping Thrawn up massively, to compensate for lack of huge achievements. If you read either book, every second page is Gosh Thrawns awesome. Han basically gives up after meeting a fake Thrawn and Mara is telling Luke how he's even a step ahead of Palpatine.

Jedi Knight Fett and jakobitis89 like this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Overstated somewhat - which seems to be a recurring theme here.

Han stops thinking they can outmaneuver "Thrawn" but he still thinks the Caamas crisis is resolvable.

In terms of strategy, in the military sense. This was well before the PT so we'd never gotten to see Palpatine's own "long term strategy mastery".

It's also possible that the intent is only "two steps ahead of everyone in the Court" not "always 1 step ahead of Palpatine, who is 1 step ahead of everyone else in the court"

4. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Because Thrawn, 10 years after his death, became a "Legend", the Imperials are nostalgic and would like to see him come back, the heroes remember how hard it was to fight against him and fear to see him come back again, it's often like this even in our world. The kings or great conquerors built their own "legend" to leave a trace in history, and so did Thrawn, and all the people who are nostalgic about him ("The Empire was stronger when Thrawn was there, now we're almost crushed") emphasize the memories they have of him, or they compare to the present and so Thrawn becomes even more awesome to them.

And for the Chiss who joined his "Hand of Thrawn", he is a hero of the nation for them, so it's normal.

MandaloreRex2015 and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Yeah it was pretty ridiculous but maybe factory is highly automatized.

6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Budget, they dont want to pay full timers with space waffles.

7. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Sorry if i missed this earlier in the thread... any thoughts on who the other Rebel cell is who will help Phoenix squadron in taking out the Lothal factory? Likely not Dodonna, but maybe Saw's group?

8. MandaloreRex2015

MandaloreRex2015 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2015
    I just thought we were only seeing the workers assigned to that particular stage of the assembly line and not the entire staff of the factory. The factory likely has different groups of workers assigned to different segments of vehicle production, and the 10 we saw were just one group out of several.

Swashbucklingjedi likes this.
  9. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    My reaction was largely like that, even seeing the clip, because I didn't realize who it was. And while it's not a major death, it was still enough for me to feel sad -- a named, recurring character who's also a decent guy with a connection to a main character. It's a little cruelly fitting, too, that Morad died in an explosion, just as his farm was destroyed.

10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Just got caught up, thought this was a good episode, much better than the past 2 for sure. I like that agent Kallus is Fulcrum, it was in no way surprising but it's a move I like for the show and the character. Before too long, however, I would like to see Thrawn have a major victory over the Rebels. Don't need anyone to die or anything but would like to see one of their operations fail and see Thrawn go more on the offensive. I do feel like that is what the show is building to at this point so hopefully we will see it soon.

11. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    For an episode that features Kanan and Ezra (my favorite characters in Rebels) I was hoping this one would be much more interesting.

Thrawn is probably the best villain Rebels has seen, but he doesn’t act at all like Thrawn in Legends. The real Thrawn wouldn’t kill Sumnar. He had already made his point, so killing Mr. Sumnar would seem like a waste. Sure, it sent a lesson to the rebels, but I don’t think real Thrawn would do it. With that said, I did like that the show actually killed off a good guy with a name, and not just a nameless redshirt, I just wish Thrawn hadn't been the one to do it.

I also liked the AT-AT drivers trying to crush Ezra and Kanan in their machine; I felt like it showed a bit of ingenuity on the Empire’s side, and I was impressed. Go stormtroopers!:storm:
    I did like Kallus in this episode; Ezra throwing him through the computer screen was great.