main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.12-3.13 - Ghosts of Geonosis - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 5, 2017.

1. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I trust Pablo Hidalgo. Now that I think about it, I trust the whole Story Group in general. They have access to information that we don't. So I think this episode went exactly as they planned.

2. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    These episodes needed more references to Saw's dead sister so the audience doesn't forget she was killed by the CIS.

About the lack of bodies for Saw's men, I wish we saw them. Yes Rebels is a kid show, more so then TCW, but I don't see how a brief shot at a part of a body (not seeing the face) would be to dark for this show. We see alive men die all the time when stormtroopers are killed. We also have seen the body of a dead Inquisitor, so why not see glimpses of a few or just one rebel body?

I wish Rebels was aimed at a pre-adult audience but not at the age range we are getting right now. Imagine what this story could do if it was allowed to do what later TCW did.

3. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I really don't like this as it essentially renders the Geonosian/last egg plotline of the episodes useless; why even do such a story that ends with hope for an nearly extinct species if it isn't gonna lead somewhere good? Seems needlessly nihilistic and like the story group really doesn't like Geonosians & doesn't want them to catch a break.

4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Maybe l Klik-Klak ate them,lol. Lack of rebel bodies also effected "Holocrons of Fate" a big fight occurred off camera but they only quickly found that one wounded survivor Maul left alivem and "Mystery of Chopper Base" the bodies of the pilots were missing they only found Rex.

Not sure how old the egg is, the toon makes it out like the race was only recently wiped out. Why not bury the egg deeper in the planet. Klik-Klak had all the time to do it, but only does so after the rebels arrive. Seemed more like this character laid the egg itself.

Saw's lasat soldier spoken about by Kallus was a no show .

Master_Rebado likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Galactic Atlas says it's Queen Karina that Vader encounters (implying she survived that cave collapse in TCW). Is this a case of that bit of Galactic Atlas being noncanon - or was Pablo too quick to answer a question that had already been answered?

EDIT Apparently this has already been answered:

Interesting idea - but it does seem a bit weird.

La Calavera likes this.
  6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    It does seem a little too convenient but maybe it could be explained by them being bugs?

7. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I know the Story Group sometimes plan plot points ahead, but this this specific one smells like a retcon. Every Queen gets the same name? And they live in the same temple? How convenient. I wonder if all Archdukes are called Poggle the Lesser too.

I mean, even the timeline is a bit off. The time distance between this episode and DV#4 is only about 2 years. Even if it only takes 2 years for a queen to reach maturity, I would still expect to take more years to develop a complex droid factory/cocooner protected by an army of tweaked battle droids. That’s some amazingly fast working Queen.

That and the fact that the Queen from DV#4 was a cyborg with a robot womb - which connected better with the Queen of TCW who probably got injured from the temple collapse, and probably got an artificial womb implant from a medic before everyone was wiped out. A cyborg Queen who came from that egg two years ago, it's just odd.

I don’t know, the way Gillen wrote the story, it felt like it was the Queen was from the Clone Wars and it made sense that way. Ipersonally don't like the idea of this egg being the Queen from the DV series, it just feels unnecessarily contrived and depressing.

8. Lente

Lente Jedi Youngling

Jan 5, 2017
    The latest interview with Gillen
    [​IMG]
    I seriously doubt he talks about the new Queen and not about the old Karina the Great.

La Calavera likes this.
  9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Saw Garrera never made much of an impression on me back in Clone Wars, but his inclusion in both R1 and Rebels has really made me come to love the character. Forest Whitaker is one of those actors who has the capacity to be intimidating in one moment and delicate in the next, and those shades really flesh out Saw's moral nuances.

BigAl6ft6 and Order66Survivor like this.
  10. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    Really enjoyed the episode! Kiner's score was extra fantastic. Glad to see the show back on track. The previous several episodes left more to be desired for me, even the Maul ones. I love the Geonosis/Death Star plans arc!

Also I LOVED Sabine's line about sand. Bag on Hayden Christensen all you want, he's right!

After Rogue One, I bet they new they'd have a whole lot bigger audience tuned in!

I also just noticed this in the credits and thought it was funny.

[​IMG]

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This was quite the TCW nostalgia episode just like the last one that had battle droids and Rex in it. The Lost Colony bit was kind of cool, but I am with some of you in thinking that the show being geared for kids should not mean that they show helmets without bodies. Did all the dead soldiers disappear and become Force ghosts like Obi-Wan and Yoda?

I assumed Klik Klak was drawing the Death Star, not an Imperial logo and not an egg, but if so, that ball was dropped. Pun intended.

I liked the connection with Saw's armor in Rogue One and the fact that that circle is a hologram of Steela, but I prefer my prior assumption that Saw's fighting style comes from being an end-justifies-the-means kind of guy, very calculating, as opposed to a style that comes from emotion and a desire to avenge his sister--who, in case you missed it the 3-4 times it was mentioned in the episode, was killed by the Separatists. I'm just having trouble imagining an easily-provoked because ZOMGSteela! Saw raising Jyn to be a tough, rational soldier.

As several have said, it was good to see a female Imperial.

Sabine, though--complaining about her paint? Really? That could have only been made worse by her complaining about her hair or manicure.

So Ezra is the Bug Whisperer now. That could or could not be a good role for him.

I liked Hera and Saw respecting each other (or at least Saw respecting Hera) as heads of their respective cells, and the conversation about what methods are appropriate and which ones made them no better than the Empire.

Overall 5/10

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    anakinfansince1983 The only thing they really brought up from TCW was Steela. I think everything else was good.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had the same issue with the Separatist droids last time they were used in Rebels. Those should have disappeared after TCW, not get magically resurrected.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  14. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I would say it was...but when the Rebels saw the egg with the circle painted on it...and also the Imperial containers being large balls with the circular Imperial logo on it....the Rebels assumed those were the things Klick Klack was trying to draw.

They have been dropping hints that we on the outside know...but in universe the Rebels don't know about yet.

Order66Survivor and episodenone like this.
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Let me say one more thing about the episode(s). I was actually bothered by the "you're no Anakin Skywalker" remark by Rex to Kanan. Kanan knows just as much as Ezra about Anakin; which is really nothing but storytelling. Wouldn't it have made sense if he substituted Ahsoka for Anakin?

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Was that Rae Sloane as the Imperial Captain? Cuz I was totally hoping it was.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  17. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    No.....http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Brunson

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  18. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    She was lame and full of gas, they should dub her Brunson burner.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's not what he says though. He says they're all Karina, so to speak. Way I interpret that is each queen has memories of the previous queen through the shared hive mind. It's not a new sci-fi idea for bugs to sort of exist eternally in ways like that.
    Don't forget there were already massive droid foundries on the planet. She could have easily co-opted one for her purposes.
    All bugs are odd of you really look into how they live. They're some of the most resilient creatures alive, able to adapt to survive under the harshest of conditions. Translated to SW that could easily mean a queen could embed herself into a machine and tiwst it to her purposes.
    I mean, a lot of TCW and Rebels is depressing when you think about these characters' futures. We know Bail and all of Alderaan are going to be wiped out, but we don't feel a twinge of sadness every time he shows up. It's the same with this queen. How are the Spectres or Klick Klack to know what tragedy is going to befall that queen? Knowing what eventually happens doesn't negate the hopeful tone of this episode. It's just a bit of OOU context we can choose to think about.

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd say knowing Vader pretty much wipes out what Klick Klack was desperate to protect really serves to up Vader's evil quotient a few notches, which I am always a fan of.

21. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Could you even Up his evil quotient more?

Something about the queen in the Vader comic though. The queen there seems to not be able to reproduce naturally yet it was hatched after the sterilization? How does that make any sense. Also the sterilization must not have happened long ago since the egg had to have been layed.

Vialco likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the theory is "damaged egg = sterile hatchling".

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011
    It's completely plausible Kanan knows about Anakin—if not assured—based on what we know of his history.

We know from The Clone Wars that Anakin had a reputation in the Jedi Order as a cunning, unorthodox general--many Jedi Masters say as much when they work with him in the series. We also know from the Kanan comics that not only was Kanan an apprentice in the Temple much of the war, but also participated in exchanging gossip about the exploits of Jedi Generals, such as those of his soon to be Master Depa Billaba, whom he learns had a stunning defeat at the hands of General Grievous that destroyed 90% of her unit. It should be noted he learns that from other apprentices, meaning this information is floating around the Temple. Further, in A New Dawn, we see Kanan knows much about revered Jedi like Obi-Wan or those on the High Council. It's not a stretch at all to say he knows about Anakin too, considering his main desire at this point in his life is to become a Jedi Knight and fight in the Clone Wars like those he's heard about.

Also, there's the panel in Kanan #7 on page 16 where Kanan and his two friends walk right by Anakin in the Jedi Temple.

24. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Ezra said to Ahsoka that Kanan told him that Anakin was the one of the greatest warriors of the Order. Kanan knew very well who Anakin was, which makes sense, since he was one of the most famous heroes of the Clone Wars.
    After all, it was Anakin’s fame that got Saw (or his group) to contact him for help.

So no, having Rex saying “but he is no Ahsoka Tano!” would feel like an awkward name drop tbh. The joke makes sense with Anakin considering his widespread reputation and the fact that he is recognized as an extremely powerful Jedi even by those who have not watched TCW.

Plus it just adds to Rex's blissful ignorance of Anakin's fate. It's both funny and tragic.

episodenone, Vialco and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    "you're no Anakin Skywalker I smiled when I heard that because I remembered when Wedge told Corran "you're no Luke Skywalker in Rogue Squadron X-Wing Series, Book 1