main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.15 - Trials of the Darksaber - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 18, 2017.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Episode 3.15!!
    Trials of the Darksaber
    -------------------------------------

Discussion of New Episodes - Rules
    (1) One of the mods will post each week's episode thread a few days before it airs on Disney XD.

(2) Discussion in the actual episode thread will be limited to that specific episode, NOT future episodes, past episodes may be referenced.

(3) Rebels episodes air on Saturday at 8:30 pm on Disney XD. Anyone who catches an episode streaming before then must use spoiler tags. After that folks will begin discussing their reviews and thoughts which will likely include spoilers. To anyone concerned about being spoiled before watching the episode it is your responsibility to avoid the thread until you have had your chance to view.

(4) Spoilers like character deaths, appearances, and major plot details must be spoiler tagged in the new episode thread prior to the episode television air date.

(5) Do not post any preview video clips from the individual episode in the episode threads.

(6) Official episode commentary may be posted in this episode thread.

(7) Do not discuss future episodes in here.

(8) Reviews will go in a separate thread for each episode.

[​IMG]

whostheBossk and Master_Rebado like this.
  2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Can anyone post all the clips for this episode?

Maythe14thBeWithYou likes this.
  3. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014

4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    What about in another thread I mean, like the generic Rebels thread.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well there's three off the top of my head, all of which are in the season 3 thread within its last few pages.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Kanan learned his teaching skills from the best:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ithorians likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Other then Kanan have we seen a jedi in Kanan fight with one hand behind their back?

8. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I can't recall a single example. Dooku used to do it to show off, the fact that Kanan is too makes it seems like he's intentionally trying to rile Sabine up...which I'm not complaining about, mind you. It's important for her to learn to keep her cool and not let her opponent get her flustered.

This episode feels really familiar so far, wonder if it was inspired by Toph teaching Aang in Avatar. Filoni's writing it, after all, so there's a decent chance there. :p

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  9. FlyingspiginaPurplejarr

FlyingspiginaPurplejarr Jedi Padawan

Oct 20, 2016

Shaak ti used a one handed style in CW cartoon and luminara and obi wan used a similar style when they faced ventress,though all of them deviated from the Dooku's classical approach.Other than that form 2 is rare because it's designed to saber to saber fight,while most jedi prepared to face blasters 90 percent of the time.
    It is a vary antique style.

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I've been really looking forward to this episode.

[​IMG]

DarthAnakin96 likes this.
  11. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Sokka's Master

[​IMG]

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  12. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
  13. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
  14. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    And he even has a black sword. :eek:

15. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    aka "space sword" :p

16. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    Ah the darksaber. I still want the rightful ruler of Mandalor to wield it. *cough cough* MAUL *Cough cough*

silvereyed and Vialco like this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It rhymes!
    Dave Filoni=George lucas confirmed! :p

18. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

You and me both.

Canyon D likes this.
  19. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    I am really afraid that the episode ends with a cliffhanger so the next month is gonna be really difficult for fans :)

and I really want to see Sabine fails couple of times before she wins.

20. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Maul isn't Mandalorian. As an outsider (despite beating Vizsla for it) he has little claim to the darksaber. Outsiders aren't supposed to rule Mandalore, and no true Mandalorians are supposed to follow then if they try to take over.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  21. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I'm looking forward to Bo-Katan's return, but doubt it will be in this episode. I'm thinking the one when they return from another break. ugh

cwustudent, tampering and Canyon D like this.
  22. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    yeah but as a warrior race, they should be bound by honor to follow the strongest, and he took that title. All just wishful thinking on my part though, Mauls story with the mandos is almost completely over it seems.

23. ShadowLady86

ShadowLady86 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 2, 2015
    If outsider is not allowed to rule Mandalore, why Pre-Vizsla even accepted Maul's challenge? Maul said someting like: I challenge you, one warrior to another! And only the strongest shall rule Mandalore. And Pre Vizsla said: so shall be it.

Pre didn't sound like ruling was imposible for outsider. In other case, he should reply that he [Maul] would never be able to rule his Mandalorians even if he defeated him [Vizsla].

Canyon D likes this.
  24. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Because turning down a challange as a Mandalorian is frowned upon in their culture. Pre likely thought he could win, which is why he accepted. Power does funny things to people. If Pre had turned down the challenge he would have been seen as a coward and unfit to rule Mandalore.

Maul isn't Mandalorian. Even though he won he doesn't have a claim to Mandalore as an outsider, no matter what his victories were. Sabine has a better claim because she's Mandalorian, her clan swore allegiance to House Vizsla. And while she still has to earn the right to wield and darksaber and lead the army, this episode is going to be the start of that.

25. tampering

tampering Jedi Knight

Jan 4, 2017
    Vizsla accepted the outcome as Maul beat him, "As you said, only the strongest..." just before he lost his head. He personally was at peace with not being the strongest and Maul taking over. From our perspective we know Maul was just using DW to advance his own interests so he was an outsider. But that doesn't mean all Mandos knew the truth back in the day. Among DW there was clearly a disagreement over whether Maul was suitable.

I think Mando warrior codes are more like common-law than hard written laws. ie. they are unwritten principles that are interpreted by the leader and individuals as they understand precedent. As Lord Mandalore, Pre could have said "You don't have a claim outsider" and ordered his troops to shoot him. Would that have divided his House as much as leadership by Maul? It's clear from CW/Rebels that not all Mandalorians interpret the warrior laws the same way. They just think every other interpretation is wrong and like to say the word Traitor before pulling a gun.

Some of his troops would have thought Maul was not an outsider and considered Pre a coward for not accepting the challenge from another warrior and refused to obey causing a different civil war than the one that happened.

But regardless of whether Maul's claim was legitimate at the time, he clearly abdicated his claim when he was defeated by Ahsoka, Rex and Bo-Katan and went into hiding. If not for Order 66, he probably would have surrendered or died. The Darksaber come into either Bo's or maybe one of his supercommando's hands. As it went down, no one could use possession of the DarkSaber to strengthen their claim as Viszla's successor so all the clans stayed divided.
    They may hate Saxon but can't agree on someone they'd all be willing to rally behind.

Erkan12 likes this.