main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.15 - Trials of the Darksaber - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 18, 2017.

1. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    Really enjoyed this episode. When the plot geared towards Sabine's training with the Darksaber, I was kind of like "meh" but it was gripping.

Sabine's voice actor really gave it all to the character this episode. And the saber itself was SUPER cool.

Small gripe: where is the love for Kanan? Nobody respects him as their (co-)leader or master or even a friend it seems. People beat up on him every episode.

Loved seeing Ezra taken down a peg. He was my favorite character season 1 but has just gotten kind of annoying.

The Manadalore arc is awesome. Was one of Filoni's best in TCW and his passion for planet and its story/characters/etc. is clear; these episodes are strong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavrelKex likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Vegeta Daimo don't post more than once in a row. I don't know what things were like back when you first signed up, but we don't do that nowadays. ;)

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  3. Vegeta Daimo

Vegeta Daimo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 30, 1999
    Gotcha. =D=

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Jeez I didn't know how old your account was until just now.

How did you Remeber your password for over 18 years? :p

5. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

[​IMG]

6. Vegeta Daimo

Nov 30, 1999
    That's pretty funny & not entirely untrue, ha ha.

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  7. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    After THIS, I don't want to hear a single person EVER complain about my walls of text ever again!

Frickin' Trump himself thinks this wall is too high!

fett 4 likes this.
  8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
  9. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    Sorry. I try to space it out as much as I can. I just don't like half-assing things. I want to get all my points across at least as much as I can. I'm not much of an analysist on first viewing so these are all the thoughts currently on my mind just thrown down. If there's a way to keep things shorter in the future I'll note it down to do so.

10. ErikBridger

ErikBridger Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 3, 2014
    While the Mandalorian history and Sabine wielding the dark saber is pretty cool....Rebels has jumped the shark when it comes to lightsaber wielders / jedi as far as i'm concerned.

After seeing Ahsoka, Kanan, Ezra, Inquisitors, Maul...i'm not even surprised by another character wielding any kind of lightsaber.
    Rebels could have been such a cool show...Rogue One style...ocassionaly exploring some jedi stuff with just one or two characters...Kanan OR Ezra...Ahsoka to get that Clone Wars nostalgia. I still watch it and I like the overarching canon that is going on with Rogue One..but more non-jedi lightsaber wielders is annoying me tbh.

11. Nevil_Clavain

Nevil_Clavain Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2017
    I think i'm kind of with you on this. The "dark saber" is pretty neat but all the weird different lightsabers are starting to take away from the mystique and magic of the whole thing. Not to mention that in the movies, the light saber props are very simple (up until Kylo Wren). I would like the weird sabers to go away.

ErikBridger likes this.
  12. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Kylo Ren.

Alpha-Red, Canyon D and Mia Mesharad like this.
  13. Knight of Wren

Knight of Wren Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 13, 2016
    I really don't see much of a reason to complain here. The majority of lightsabers are still the classic old design. Most of the unique ones are generally either super ancient (The darksaber is over 1000 years old, and Kylo's is based on an ancient design used on Malachor) or created by unusual Jedi under unusual circumstances (Like Ezra's first blaster/saber). Plus, in such a big galaxy, it's only natural for a few unique designs to crop up now and then. We didn't see such designs in the main films because the PT dealt solely with "mainstream" Jedi, while the OT only featured a grand total of 3 lightsabers (not a very big sample group there). Besides,There were a few odd designs in the main movies, like Maul's dual saber (which if I recall correctly basically everyone loves).

While I agree that some of the recent lightsaber designs have been rather gratuitous (couph spinny inquisitor sabers cough), the darksaber is really a special case, as was explained in the episode. I think the design works extremely well and makes perfect sense. The rigid, angular hilt design is very reminiscent of Mandalorian art and artwork. Tarre was obviously not your typical Jedi, and it's cool to see that expressed in his lightsaber design.

Just a bit of a side note, but the darksaber originated from The Clone Wars TV series and thus predates the creation of Kylo's saber design for TFA. And besides, the EU also had it's share of weird sabers. Unconventional lightsaber designs aren't really anything new at this point.

14. Dathomir-Witch

Dathomir-Witch Jedi Master star 2

Jan 2, 2013
    I've just watched the mid sason 3 trailer (all I've ever seen of this series) and somehow had the same impression. So many lightsabers...

15. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Too many lightsabers?

What will they think of next... It's Star Wars

DaffyTheWizard likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It's not that bad. There is literally only 4 people who currently wield them on the show.

17. Vegeta Daimo

Nov 30, 1999
    I like the darksaber in that it's actually katana shaped. That's a really good look.

Did'ja know that the darksaber used to be a planet destroying weapon? Some people, the Hutts I think, decided why build a whole Deathstar when instead they can just build the laser part instead. It's end result was a giant lightsaber handle floating in space, of course considered non-canon now. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darksaber_(superweapon)

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That's one of the reasons I am happy legends is non canon.

19. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    It was ok episode- bit more character-centered this time and nice set up for Mandalore-storyline.

+ Sabine has good scenes here- emotional depth was nicely done this time
    + The way how they spend one episode to focus entirely on Sabine and darksaber is nice- I really like the backstory for the saber
    + Way how wielding a lightsaber is really dangerous for inexperienced was nicely remembered as well as explanation how lightsabers eventually bond with their users is very interesting notion that works well with what's established about kyber crystals- really makes lightsabers even more interesting and explains how every saber ends up to be so unique weapon.

- Not sure if Kanan made much sense in this- Sabine is not the jedi, but seems like he didn't really get it in his training- well maybe that was the point but still idea that he is overprotective as a father figure of Sabine was kinda nice but didn't really think his motives were made clear- and why he so suddenly changed his mind?... Maybe I need to re-watch this episode so I could better understand what was the point.
    - What was the point of Bendu being there- did he speak with Sabine off-screen or was he just there as an observer?
    - What's the idea of this long hiatus now after this episode? I want to see what was the point for this episode and they make us to wait for like 3 weeks?

20. ErikBridger

ErikBridger Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 3, 2014
    Please don't remind us of the spinning / helicopter sabers ;-) In my head-canon I pretend that never happened at all.

21. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Your head-canon won't change the fact that they are a reality in the Star Wars universe, however.

22. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    To add onto this, the Darksaber isn't your average lightsaber either. Design aside, its history and the mythology behind it is important to remember. It's more than a weapon that is used, it's a symbol of power and strength to the Mandalorian people. That alone sets it apart from all the other lightsabers currently being used.

23. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I honestly think they intentionally split a strong mini-arc out of a desire to keep interest high during a mandatory break.

They released 3 separate clips dealing with Trials of the Darksaber, which is unusual and the clips were somewhat spoilery. So they seemed to both have confidence the audience would still want to see the full episode, but wanted to build hype. Plus, the whole episode is very much a set-up story; they laid the groundwork for the next episode (and presumably many beyond that), and introduced a whole new conflict and facet to Sabine's story. Everything was calculated to make a larger audience than normal tune in for Trials of the Darksaber, then make them hungry for the sequel...

...And they want that audience to come back in full force when the last quarter of the season picks up, so they make them wait. I mean, if you knew the first episode back was something like Warhead, would you make it a priority to tune back in?

Vialco likes this.
  24. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I'll say this. I do not regularly watch Disney XD. in fact, Rebels is the only reason I pay for the channel. If I saw that the there was ANOTHER hiatus, I'd definitely wouldn't be checking back every Saturday looking for more. It's how LOST lost me, and it's how Star Vs. The Forces of Evil lost me. Too many hiatuses diminish my intention span.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Its not as bad as the first season which had several times were it would be on one week and off the other several times.