main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.15 - Trials of the Darksaber - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Jan 18, 2017.

1. Dathomir-Witch

Dathomir-Witch Jedi Master star 2

Jan 2, 2013
    Well, the closer we get to ANH the weirder it is to see them grow in numbers instead of decreasing.;)

Theo333 and episodenone like this.
  2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Force wielders, sure. But I don't see a problem with people carrying around lightsabers in the OT. So many Jedi were killed and who knows what happened to their weapons? I can easily believe that those who were executed in Order 66 could have had their weapons taken by e.g. scavengers and used as a status symbol among e.g. crime lords, similarly to the Darksaber.

episodenone likes this.
  3. Dathomir-Witch

Dathomir-Witch Jedi Master star 2

Jan 2, 2013
    Or they are sold to the black market like Ahsoka's nearly was, as I recall.

Yep, anybody can actually use one. Not to its full potential, but it's still easier (and more impressive) to stab your enemies with a lightsaber than with a normal sword. And if one fails at even that, there's still the possibility to use it as a bread knife as someone so nicely put it in another thread...

episodenone likes this.
  4. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    In Catalyst there is a scene where Krennic gifts Galen with a lot of crystals removed from Jedi ligthsabers for him to continue his experiments on extracting energy out of kybers.

So I assume that the ligthsabers from killed Jedi were collected by the Empire.

Darkslayer and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I wouldn't be surprised if some of them fell into the black market

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  6. ForceGhostAnakin

ForceGhostAnakin Jedi Youngling

Dec 21, 2016
    Count of Serenno did my good man (DOOOKUUUU)

7. Nevil_Clavain

Nevil_Clavain Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2017
    My bad

8. Nevil_Clavain

Nevil_Clavain Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2017
    I guess part of my issue with that is how its creating so much backstory on Boba Fett that will never be in the movies and linking that to things that are in the movies are like weird lightsabers. I guess my thoughts on Mandalorians is another issue.

9. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Nevil_Clavain

Please do not double post as it counts as a form of spam. Please use the edit button to avoid double posting. Otherwise wait until someone else posts before you post again. If it has been more then a day, you may post once more to keep the conversation going.

10. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    He isnt a bird! . . ., or is he?
    [​IMG]

Pretendalorian likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So what your saying is Sabine is a bird? :p

12. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    I'm not saying she isn't. . . she transforms into the owl that follows Ahsoka around.

13. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    You know Dennis, I've been thinking fish recently.

Canyon D likes this.
  14. Vegeta Daimo

Vegeta Daimo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 30, 1999
    It's coming on again tonite at 11:30 PM on DisneyXD for those of you that don't have DVR's.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't have much to say about this one, I'm not familiar with Mandalore history or the Darksaber, but it does seem like Disney is going in the direction of anyone being able to use a lightsaber.

I liked the differentiation between the way Ezra and Sabine reacted to Kanan's instruction. I also liked the brief glimpse into Sabine's history.

7/10

16. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Well we saw warrior characters like Cad Bane briefly try their hand at wielding a saber... but more importantly we saw Pre Vizsla wield the Darksaber on TCW which is why it makes sense for another Mandalorian to be able to use it. I don't think just anyone can use a lightsaber but powerful warriors can at least do OK with them even if they don't have a Jedi-like connection the Force. The episode showed us that Sabine struggled but got there with blood, sweat, and tears (literally).

17. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Anyone can pick up a lightsaber and swing it around.

Lightsabers handle differently to conventional blades so they require additional training to be able to wield effectively.

Having a strong connection to the Force will amplify your combat proficiency further by allowing you to e.g. anticipate enemy attacks better.

But the Force is not a requisite to wield a lightsaber.

18. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    This has been one of the best episodes in the season and in fact the entire show. I’m not a Sabine fan, but I was looking forward to see how Ezra and Kanan helped her work through her personal problems, and I wasn’t disappointed (for a change). I really liked how Ezra and Kanan were so supportive of Sabine at the end, too.Sabine was a bit of a jerk, but for once I didn’t mind. She didn’t rub me the wrong way like she usually does.

Most people would probably consider this an episode about Sabine, but for me, it’s just as much about Kanan and Ezra. Both of them did a wonderful job with training Sabine. I liked how Kanan's approach was trying to anger Sabine to force her to let out her inner demons and confront the hurt she had hidden inside, whereas Ezra had a more gentler approach that was more understanding. Both worked well together, almost as if they had planned it beforehand how to get her to open up to her emotions that were bottled up inside.

Kanan letting Ezra teach Sabine was cool, since Kanan started out as a teacher with a serious lack of confidence and experience, so I felt like by letting Ezra train Sabine he was also teaching Ezra how to teach, and giving Ezra a head-start on mentoring, which is something Kanan never had.

I enjoyed Kanan letting his frustrations at Sabine’s behavior seep out as he talked to to Hera. I liked Hera’s first conversation with Kanan, and how openly they consult in one another (it's really a key part of their relationship), but the second time Hera was kind of annoying. I think she should’ve pressed gently to persuade Kanan to let Sabine try using the darksaber instead of being so pushy about it; after all, Kanan is the teacher, and his concerns were valid. I kind of see where she’s coming from, but I wish she would respect Kanan as the teacher he is and understand that he’s trying to protect his student from hurting herself. However, Hera does seem to understand and know Sabine better than Kanan (kind of like Kanan seems to know and understand Ezra so much better than Hera), so it makes sense that she’s more aware of Sabine’s limits and understands what Sabine is going through. But I think she could have pushed Kanan to let Sabine use the darksaber while still being respectful of Kanan as a mentor.

Ezra was also funny with how eager he was to teach Sabine. I enjoyed the swordfights between them; they were well done. I liked Ezra’s “at least you have parents to go back too" line. I felt like it was a reminder to Sabine that she is the only one in the crew who has had things rough, since she seems to focus on her own pain and sometimes forgets the Empire has hurt the other members of her crew, too. Ezra has come a long way. From season 1 to the very beginning of season 3, we’ve seen that he didn’t do all that well with listening to Kanan. But Ezra is by now very responsive and loyal to Kanan. Ezra has become very family-oriented (more so than any of the Ghost crew members, in fact) and you can see that nothing is more important to him than his crew.

This episode should have taken place over more time, like at least a couple weeks instead of just like two days. Training takes time, and only a couple days is really rushing things.

For Sabine’s story, I’m not sure I understand what Sabine thought the Empire was going to do with her weapons. I mean, if you design a weapon for someone, do you expect them to put it on a shelf and just forget about it? I feel like they could have been a little more specific about her tragic backstory, because to me it still seemed a bit too vague.

The animation for the tale of the darksaber was cool and it was a nice way to give background on the saber.

Also, Hera treated Ezra pretty coldly in this episode. When he quoted his version of Yoda’s “Do or do not, there is no try” line to Sabine, Hera gives him this really disappointed look. I mean, he’s just reiterating what he learned from Kanan to help out Sabine. Not sure why Hera has a problem with that.

The music was phenomenal; Sabine’s theme is the best theme in the show so far, IMO, and I think “Sabine talks to Ezra” and “Sabine’s Cartharsis” are possibly the best songs in the show. Simply amazing score that captures the emotions better than the scenes themselves.

I loved this exchange:
    “You know, I thought there would be more sword fighting involved.”
    “It’s always like this. He did the same thing with me.”
    “Yeah, and look how well you turned out.”
    “Are you serious? Is he serious?”
    “I can never tell.”
    I think it’s funny because I honestly can’t tell if Kanan just insulted Ezra or if he was being sincere. And either Ezra doesn’t realize he’s being insulted, or he just lets it blow off. I could honestly see it either way. Anyway, it’s a great exchange that leaves you guessing.

This episode definitely had some great banter and interaction with the crew; I wish we had more like it. I think it’s the first Rebels episode that focused on character development instead of plot line. If we had more episodes centered around character growth and development like this one, the show would be significantly better.