main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.16 - Legacy of Mandalore - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 17, 2017.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Wait, we saw Mandalore?

2. MandaloreRex2015

MandaloreRex2015 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2015
    No, just Krownest. I think they just mistook it for Mandalore.

3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I'm sure we will see Sabine again, I'm guessing at the end of the season where she and the Mandos help them escape Thrawn and his "plan"

Lol Regards Ezra I said exactly the same thing, I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

I know he's the main character and all but I still wish they would kill him off, I just can't stand him. Give him the Nobel sacrifice, whatever I don't care but please just get rid of him.

4. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    They applied all the cliches into Sabine's arc closure:

-Hero's ally looks like they're turning on them when in reality they're turning on the villain
    -Hero defeats and is tempted to kill villain but doesn't
    -Villain tries to kill hero anyway
    -A shot is heard, oh is it the hero being shot? No, it's the villain and the shot came from the wavering ally

And Gar Saxon already won, he already drove a wedge in the Wrens, he had two groups of Wren hostages, yet he tries to kill one group? What purpose does that serve?

I'm glad it's over.

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Yes, but Saxon was already planning to betray Ursa and wipe out Clan Wren. Did he seriously think he could kill two Jedi and seven Mandalorians with the four commandos he had at his disposal? His men just went down so quickly because they were outnumbered. By the time Saxon flies out the window with Sabine, his men are all dead. Even if he beat Sabine, his fate was probably sealed. There's no way Ezra, Kanan and Rau would have let him live if he killed Sabine. It just seems like the villains in this episode had no chance at all. I just prefer villains to be written as powerful so it means more when they're taken down. It was a good episode, but when you start looking at it a bit closer you can see some cracks in it. Saxon really should have come with twice as many men, as it is his troops are defeated without any real struggle. Just kinda sticks out at me, that's all.

CT1138 likes this.
  6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I think the idea was Saxon had all the cards that included the hostage of father and absolute power of Mandalore and was protected by the backing of the Emperor himself. So in actuallity he has his own soldiers and the Empire. Rau seemed to have been his biggest obstable and rival for the Emperor's graces, but he took care of the Protectors and consequently Rau. My major problem I have with the set up during the end, was that if Saxon died there, Ursa's husband, Sabine's old man, would be executed. Ursa killing him to protect Sabine may of been spare of the moment, but it does not explain Sabine's sloppiness of turning her back against a formidable and ruthless warrior, regardless if he was wounded. Her motive for keeping him alive would not be cause she's better than her people morally, but cause she needed him to get her dad(hostage exchange anyone?!). Some of Ursa's own men likely also had mixed loyalties, including her own son and Ursa herself even. I think more along the lines as Theo. It makes no sense that Sabine's dad lives past Saxon's death. Why would they all of a sudden forget that,lol. Her quest with the darksaber and finding the leader is also a kinda take off of Rey needing to find Luke and hand him the sword, while her being part of a super weapon project and having a political hostage father stuff is more copied from the Orso's. The problem with the darksaber unlike Luke's lightsaber, is very clear, it does not matter who holds it, it has to be earned in the Mandalore tradition, and the weapon seems to be surrounded by death & tragedy and those that earn it are tyrants as Mandalorians are expansionist people. What they kinda have Sabine being now, is a "New Mandalorian" and a quasi- Satine but with her having the backdrop of a Death Watch style warrior and not a pompous bureaucrat noble that dabbles in occasional action sequences and intrigue.

Its not really that believable that all of a sudden such Mandalorian clans would fall into chaos just cause of Saxon's death, the Empire still controls Mandalore and am sure there is like minded people like Saxon or his own lieutenants in command of whatever military forces he had including Imperial. All these clans seem to have no more than a few men each, so they can't be that dangerous. The showing on this show for the Protectors, Saxon's manpower and Clan Wren's was pisspoor. Even Vizsla's Death Watch was a small band and they never made a direct move out in the open cause they could not match Satine's vast police force and Republic allies. Rau also speaks of his loyalty to the throne, what the heck does the darksaber have to do with the throne that Satine was presumingly sitting on. Bo-Katan was likely in for a rude awakening once her Republic allies turned on her or her them or both. My honest opinion despite Filoni's bravado supposed pocket outline, he and his team seem to just be making it up as they go along.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    At least something's making you happy. :p

DanielUK and Knight of Wren like this.
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

First time used in either show. I certainly don't remember it in TCW.

BMO likes this.
  9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Two in-episode theories as to why Saxon seemed under-manned for a planned extermination of Clan Wren, and why his death will plunge Mandalore into chaos:

First, Saxon did bring more troops than we saw in the throne room. Midway through the duel, you can see about three or four ISC troops standing and watching the duel... Just like what Clan Wren was doing. It's possible that Saxon brought enough men to finish off the Wrens, but once Saxon and Sabine started dueling, they acknowledged the honor duel rules the same way Ursa and others did. No, we didn't see any official proclamation of the duel, but there may be some rule about crossing swords with the Darksaber involved.

Two, Fenn Rau did say he was busy. Maybe "busy" translates to taking out ISC men and material after retrieving the lightsaber.

And for the reason why his death would cause chaos, I think one of the implications of the New Mandalorian government and the TCW arcs focusing on them, as well as the comments about the clans in this episode, is that there's dozens of old feuds and grudges among the clans that *will* be pursued by some Mandalorians the second there's no one to stop them. Throw in the often violent manner in which ambitions can be achieved, and you've got a cauldron where political stability requires either a concensus majority rallied around a powerful politician (the New Mandalorian Duchy) or a militaristic regime (the Mandalore Warlord).
    A variation appeared in the first episode featuring Mandalore in TCW, where a dying Death Watch agent exchanges some final words with Satine. It's not the Mando'a that Traviss invented, but sounded vaguely similar. The old Legends continuity named it the Concordian dialect, but you might be able to remake it as a Kalevalan dialect, have a Concord Dawn dialect using "Tat" as brother, like in the Cestus Deception. Making multiple variations and emphasizing the subcultures of Mandalore would make them seem far larger than other franchises' warrior cultures.

La Calavera and Vialco like this.
  10. CloneofVader

CloneofVader Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 5, 2016

Nope. All fingers in place. 2.19.

I don't think it makes him happy. I mean watch new episode of Rebels with a feeling that you already watch it million times...
    [​IMG]

11. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013

[​IMG]

She cuts something here though.

12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    People are looking to much into Saxons actions in jmo. Remember the Inquisitor sorry I mean Grand Inquisitor suddenly deciding to kill himself in S1. It's not the first time the writers have the villain do something stupid because the plot needs them too and it certainly won't be the last.

Jedi Knight Fett and La Calavera like this.
  13. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Saxon was slashed/ nicked across the bicep area(or possibly forearm), he holds the bicep though as if hit there and covering it or applying pressure probably instinctively rather than practically, dont know. They never visibly focused in on the wound though.

14. silvereyed

silvereyed Jedi Knight

Sep 6, 2016
    no baiting, todd ;)

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I didn't think this planet was Mandalore.

16. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    GI was beaten and was hanging by his hands over a precipice. Kanan wouldn't have helped him up, and Vader would have punished him severely for his failure. Rather than face that horror, Grand Inqusitor chose to go out on his own terms, knowing he had no future regardless of what he did.

Ithorians, MandaloreRex2015 and JH24 like this.
  17. BMO

BMO Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2016
    I think this episode was very valuable, and for a few reasons.
    1. Deeper insight into the Mandalorian culture, customs, and traditions.
    2. Sabine was speaking Mando'a, the first time ever.
    3. Insight into the warring houses and factions of Mandalore.
    4. Nice ending (for now) of Sabine's character, and Fenn Rau

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  18. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Have Emperor's Hands been recanonized in any source as yet? I took this to be just a wink at us old school fans; the wording isn't specific to a title of Emperor's Hand, just that he's doing the will of the Emperor. I would love this to lead into Hands being part of the new mythos....I just don't see them actually recanonizing Mara Jade (as much as I would hope so!), her character comes with either too many questions or complications in the new canon. Unless she's already being added in TLJ backstory/exposition....(I know, no chance...)

19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Dave ruled out Mara Jade.

Erkan12 likes this.
  20. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    in the old canon Few imperials Have knowledge of the hands existing if they exist in the new canon I have high-doubt Ursa Wren will have knowledge of them

21. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Actually, in Legends the Emperor's Hand was a very common rumor. Few people ever actually met or even saw one of the Hands, but their existence was known to most Imperials, often as whispers of ultra-high ranking Imperial Agents that answered solely to the Emperor. In fact, Imperial Officers were instructed to memorize secret recognition codes that only top Imperial Agents could use. There were quite a few Hands running around the Galaxy during the Empire's height, Sidious had more Hands than a dianoga has tentacles, with at least ten confirmed Force-wielding servants having held that title.

But I seriously doubt we will ever see them in Canon. Palpatine isn't one to share knowledge of the Force very widely. He has his apprentice to do his primary Sith bidding, and that apprentice has trained a small number of Inquisitors whose sole task is to hunt Force-wielding enemies, for which they are specifically trained. For dealing with non-Force-wielding enemies, Palpatine tends to use skilled non-Force-wielders such as Chanath Cha from the Lando Comic. After all, we know from Pablo Hidalgo that the Force-sensitive children abducted by the Inquisitors aren't trained in the ways of the Force. Rather, they're tested to see if they can use the Force as Seers. If they can't, the Inquisitors kill them.

22. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    why are the mandalorians so dang stubborn? all i wanted to do all through this episode is bang everbody's head together.

23. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Warrior people. Being stubborn is a cultural trait.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Huh? It's not like he was just going to surrender

Ithorians likes this.
  25. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Exactly! I can´t really see what´s so illogical about the GI demise, seeing that he was defeated and his only hope was to avoid the (deeply horrifying) punishment Vader had in store for him...