main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.20 - Twin Suns - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Mar 15, 2017.

1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    The final duel between Obi-Wan and Maul was spectacular and a beautiful nod to samurai movies, especially the duel between Kyūzō and the arrogant samurai in Seven Samurai from Kurosawa.

However, the rest of the episode with Ezra isn't that good. Ezra had absolutely no place in this episode and even Obi-Wan acknowledges this, meaning even the creators of the show realize this, but I guess they are obliged to put Ezra in every single episode for some idiotic marketing reasons or something. And how did Ezra figure out the twin suns mean Tatooine? There are billions of star systems with twin suns in our own galaxy, so I would assume its a common thing in GFFA as well.

And why wouldn't Ezra tell others about Obi-Wan? At least to Kanan? Ezra has no idea why Obi-Wan is hiding on Tatooine and he never asks him about it. And the way everything is forgotten at the end of the episode is a direct insult to every viewer. Ezra is a junior officer (lieutenant I believe) in a military that is at war, yet he disobeys a direct order from his superior, steals a ship and goes AWOL! And then he returns like nothing happens! He should have been executed for desertion!!! Or at least stripped of his rank and put in jail or latrine duty or something!!! Instead he gets a hug and a smile! Ezra is supposed to be 17 at this point. He is old enough to understand consequences of his actions and be held responsible for them.

I loved every second with Obi-Wan and I loved the nostalgic ending with the music and Aunt Beru, but I hated Ezra in this. At this point, Ezra truly is the most boring part of the show and he is killing my enjoyment of Rebels.

2. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    Well tbh Thane Kyrell from Lost Stars did something similar - it shows that Rebellion is built not only on hope but also on trust (and also shows that it's a miracle they win XD)

3. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm seriously thinking that Maul basically made a suicide-by-Kenobi here, riling him up to make sure that Obi-Wan would kill him. It seems obvious that he knew why Kenobi was on Tatooine, that he understood how the answers to he and Ezra's questions linked up. The fact that Maul apparently tried to kill Obi-Wan with a move he already used against Gui Gon confirms my beliefs. And at the end, he asks for confirmation as he passes, that Obi-Wan is protecting the one who would being the Sith down and bring hope back in the galaxy.

No, I do too.

I hope that Obi-Wan buried it somewhere.

4. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    Arg...why?

I get what others have said, that Maul was looking for a warrior's death. I just wish there was a bit more time spent on that final confrontation. It was over a little too quickly for me. Is this what Maul's plan was all along? And now he dies assured that Palpatine will get what he has coming?

I really wish there was less Ezra/Chopper. Their part just seemed almost like a satire in some ways of Luke's trek across the desert after R2 runs away. I'm not sure if that was their intention, or that I'm having trouble taking this show seriously after last week.

Also, why does it look like Luke is a little kid? Yes, its from a distance...but still. He's about Ezra's age and he just looked too small relative to everything else.

I was so looking forward to this one, and it definitely wasn't what I thought it'd be. Though I guess its kinda like Maul himself in TPM...lot of flash bang and not much substance. Kinda blink and you'll miss it. I didn't like Maul at all in TPM, but I grew to like him in TCW and Rebels. I'm a bit disappointed that its come full circle to be 'blah' again. I think what's most disappointing is the Maul/Ezra relationship is now over, and I liked that. And I guess that's also the end of my "Maul is Snoke" theory.

Tanjint, silvereyed and Vialco like this.
  5. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    You know what else this episode accomplishes? Showing how much stronger in the Force Obi-Wan has gotten since RotS. It isn't just that he recognized Maul's move from the Qui-Gon fight, but how his dueling form has gotten more deliberate and precise (I'm sure to also lend an assist to the ANH fight). Besides just lightsaber skills, he being aware of Ezra and Maul's everything just by how much more attuned he is to the Force and everything going on. It's nice to see signs of how both Obi-Wan and Yoda improved through their post-purge training. Their ability to sense everything is so much better than Palps was during the PT, though we all know they still couldn't see Anakin turning back eventually. But yeah, Obi-Wan was so in control on every level, I half expected him to invite Maul to sit down at the campfire and hang out, maybe eat some soup or something.

episodenone and DarthUncle like this.
  6. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    After using his lightsaber to julienne the guy into manageable, unresurrectable pieces...

DarthAnakin96 likes this.
  7. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    Are we gonna have a rate the episode thread soon? Also can someone remind me how to spoiler tag?

8. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    I must say I was a bit disappointed with the episode. It felt rushed after all the build-up and hype, it could've been better as a two-parter. The binary sunset part was great though, I liked it when Kenobi mentioned "old wounds", and I also liked how Maul died in Kenobi's arms and his last words were "he will avenge us". Overall it was a good episode but could've been so much more.

9. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    [ spoiler] [ /spoiler] without the spaces

10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    It was posted by DanielUK on the previous page of this thread:

DanielUK likes this.
  11. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Great episode once it got past the set up. Old Kenobi was great and I like how in tune he is so he already knew what the deal was. Maul finally met his end and once he knew figured what Obi Wan was doing on Tatooine, he seemed to be at peace with death. I never expected to feel this much sympathy for Maul, but he got a raw deal from birth.

12. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    I would like a confirmation from someone absolutely fluent in english : did Maul say "Is he the Chosen One?" or "Is it the Chosen One?"

13. Canyon D

Nov 17, 2015
    this is a test of my incompetence

TheMDOSS1313, JH24 and Balaaa like this.
  14. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Congratulations, you passed.

Canyon D likes this.
  15. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

True, but Thane Kyrell at least didn't steal a ship (and loose it soon after) if I remember Lost Stars correctly and he was pretty insignificant Rebel pilot in the end, while Ezra is one of the two known remaining Jedi in the galaxy and has knowledge of plenty of top secret information, like the identity of Fulcrum and Rebel plans to invade Lothal. Its extremely irresponsible of Ezra to just go off wandering in the galaxy on his own, when the Empire knows his identity and I presume (and hope) is actively searching for him.

But he at least brought back a new ship from Maul I guess. I wouldn't be surprised if Ezra uses Maul's Mandalorian ship in the next episode to get certain allies to help them against Thrawn :)

16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

Maul did not intend to be a match. It was obvious Maul intended to die by Kenobi's hand the whole time by the writing team, which was predictable he was seeking a warrior's end and hope. The end had a tasteful moment. While Luke would avenge both Kenobi and Maul - the key to destroying the Sith. In the end there was that reconciliation factor between both Maul and Kenobi the two old warriors, Maul testing Kenobi and finding what motivated him into action, Luke. And an off handed redemption for Maul. It also places a different spin on how Kenobi looked at Luke onbard the Death Star right before Kenobi allowed himself to die. The best part really was Maul slaying the Sand People. All in all it was a rather lackluster episode, Maul did not really attempt to kill, just goad Kenobi into finishing him off something apparently Maul felt should've happened[via the writing). They grounded Kenobi's fighting to just standing cause his fighting in ANH could not be contradicted while Maul's fighting was agile and deadly right into Rebels - so they have Maul committed suicide by blocking the lightsaber blow with his hilt. Maul saved Ezra's life again, that is like another two times, even if he placed him danger, he was never truly in danger - he killed off the Sand People and motivated Ezra into getting Kenobi to rescue him as he watched from afar.

I can't say they handled Maul well on Rebels, but its as good as end as any, but we'll be seeming Maul again. I don't think he'll stay "dead". Ezra is still in development, whether he's a kinda remake of Galen Marek remains to be seen. Maul's artefact's and connection to the Nightsisters opens up other doors, especially as years go by.

Maul's "death scene" more echoed Obsession's Ventress's death scene than "Old Wounds" :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Canyon D

Nov 17, 2015
    Okay, so I get that they were going for the western type episode. I'm fine with that. I get that they wanted a different kind of ending to this life long feud, I get that they wanted it to be impactful, but it didn't work for me, at all. You cant have so little episodes with Maul in one season, then completely ignore him for what seemed the span of a season, then make an episode about him FIGHTING OBI WAN, and have him die in one move. I mean come on, he has been part of star wars since the prequels, one of the best villains on both TCW and Rebels, and one of the most powerful dark side users that we know of. How can you take this character, and in one small twenty minute episode, focus mostly on Ezras trip to the Vegas desert, then have him walk up to his greatest rival, say four lines of dialogue, then just die. After everything they set Maul up to be, after all the expectations they built with trailers and interviews and things that Sam Whiter said to hype us up. You give us what amounts to less than a third of an episode to spend with this great character before he dies in way that makes him seem powerless. Might I add that the episode before had a singing droid? What even? How can you kill off one of the greatest characters of the prequels right after you have an episode created for kids. I know that i have to be objective, not everyone enjoyed having Maul survive episode one. But to me this feels like they had plans for Maul, but then realized they ignored him to much in favor of episodes with droid friends, and realized they had to find a way to kill him off before episode 4. Completely let down by this episode, no hype at all for the finale. Very disappointed in Filoni

18. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Beautiful. Much neeed fanservice for Old Ben and much needed peace and closure for Maul. Seeing Luke was just icing on the cake.

episodenone and theraphos like this.
  19. Ryan Hunt

Ryan Hunt Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 11, 2013
    I rewatched this about 5 times in a row and couldn't figure it out. It really could be both, but I think he says "it".

20. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Closed Captions anyone?

21. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I watched this episode at least 3 times and every time it sounded like he said "it" but I could be wrong.

22. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    You know what, after another viewing...

100% sounded like it to me. On second thoughts, could 'it' be referring to Vader?

23. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    That doesnt matter, what matters is that Obi thinks Luke is the Chosen One, since Anakin became Vader.

24. Sannom

Nov 14, 2011
    If they're the quality of iTunes Closed Captions, it won't help.

Nah, if you indeed heard right,

I think Maul simply wanted to remain generic and Obi-Wan decided to let go of his duty for Maul's sake and told him the gender of whoever he was protecting, a small, yet dangerous piece of information that he wouldn't have divulged in any other circumstance.

25. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    In anticipation of this episode, I rewatched all The Clone Wars eps where Maul and Obi-Wan crossed lightsaber blades. So after seeing all that flashy fighting, the ending to Twin Suns was very fitting. We didn't need an elaborate fight scene, as we have had them before from TPM to TCW. The fight here was more symbolic.