main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.21-3.22 - Zero Hour (Season Finale!!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Mar 22, 2017.

1. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I think part of the reason why some are not too thrilled with season 3 of rebels or the ending, I think has more to do with the pacing and timing of each individual episode of the story. Star Wars being told in 22 minutes is just.....well not enough. Is Rebels a great addition to the new canon? Yes, from a certain point of view. Can it be erased or eliminated and just accept the movies, comic books and novels like the old eu? Nope, it cannot. Does Rebels with its confined animation, time frame and story telling period not be considered important star wars work? Nope, we are stuck, because Filoni worked with GL and knows everything about star wars and Disney well, wanted everything under one canon. Disney and probably Lucasfilm all together.

Rebels has introduced stuff that I think are just as controversial as some of the stuff from the old EU. I'm not going to name them, but back in the day people here bashed the micro clone war series because of its outrageousness and yet, here, we have had Kanan, a two bit loser, be able to stop Ezra from falling as he trained him in the force. Remember when Ezra fell overboard? Think of the rate of speed of Ezra falling and Kanan just stops his fall and then gets him to rise. He struggled, but still. In the Geonosis episode in January, he made a super long and high leap from one end to the other. Okay, that was werid. Rebels suffers some of the same things that some of the old eu suffered from.

Thrawn is still good. There is nothing in season 3 that makes me think that thrawn was any different than the eu books, and me, I am looking forward to the new thrawn book. In Rebels he won. he found the base and damaged the rebels badly. So the main characters lived, they lived in the thrawn trilogy despite him being a bad ass, and he died again when he almost woke up as a clone. so to me there is no different there.

2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Except that Thrawn is drool worthy in Season 3.

3. Vana

Vana Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005

I wonder if we will see him physically training in the book, the way he trains himself in season 3 :p (can't we have our fangirl fanservice moment?[face_laugh] )

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  4. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Exactly! Minerva is a lucky woman!

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    According to the concept art they are slightly taller than the average stormtrooper.

6. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Which concept art? Rogue One or Rebels? I did see the concept art at the Rebels episode guide. But quite frankly the Rebels version fell short of being as imposing looking as they were in Rogue One in my opinion.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah the Rebels concept.

[​IMG][​IMG]

They're about half a head taller, which is about the same height as Thrawn.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Great episode.

--I actually liked Thrawn. Not in the vein of the more recent posts, he's not my type, but overall, I was able to respect his intelligence as a commander without feeling like I was being told to worship him or like he was being made omniscient on purpose. The use of art to find the lost planet was brilliant.

--I got a lot of ESB vibes on the escape from Hoth

--Nice organ music in the score

--Kanan has grown a lot since A New Dawn. He's not as funny and snarky anymore but he's more at peace, which is a good thing.

--Hera as leader is always awesome.

--Sabine is back! And along with giving me an appreciation for Thrawn, this episode gave me an appreciation for Mandalorians and jet packs, which I have thought were way overhyped before.

--The characters worked together really well--Hera, Ezra, Rex, Zeb, Chopper. We did get that nice "LOLwut?" Moment from Hera when Kanan said he was going to get Bendu. But there was no petty infighting and no dumb whining, just coming together for the fight.

--I was not thrilled on the idea of Bendu but I loved seeing him open a can of storm-infused whoopass here. I laughed out loud when Thrawn said (paraphrasing) 'What is this Jedi sorcery?'

The ability to make Palleon worship you and get yourself a fan girl in Outbound Flight is insignificant next to the power of Bendu.

--Best lines: "Thrawn might actually be trying to have us killed!" Gee, Kanan, ya think? LOL.

And Hera calling him "love." [face_love] If there was any doubt that they are a couple...OK, I never doubted it, and I love how it has always been very subtlely done.

9. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    That was a great line, the crew behind Rebels is very aware of what fans have been talking about. They haven't been subtle about it since before Double Agent Droid.

10. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Yeah, I think the beginning of the episode with the discussion between Kanan and Ezra was a signal of sorts that Kanan is pretty much entering the final arc of his story.

11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

I don't think so.

"There's a future for us. One where we're all free."

I have no doubt now that Jedi Knight Kanan Jarrus and his Padawan Ezra Bridger will live to see the Empire fall and the Sith destroyed.

12. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    but Kanan won't see anything [face_dancing]

Erkan12 likes this.
  13. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Ezra can be his seeing-eye Padawan.

Darth_Accipiter likes this.
  14. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Mmmmmmmm, I think you got to see Kanan going all in with the Rebellion. At the beginning of season 2, he did not want to be in another war. But by the end of season 3, he has to defend hi position on fighting with the Rebellion to Bendu.

But with the Ghost crew at Yavin ...... they are bumping right up next to ANH. For example, even if their role ends at Scarif, Luke is going to find out that there used to be a couple Jedi at Yavin .... unless they go completely crazy and have them overlap and Luke actually meets Kanan and Ezra. All we know for sure is that Luke is the last Jedi by RotJ. And we don't see them in TESB. Whatever, happens, Phoenix squadron is going to be much less prominent at Yavin which is the much larger part of the Rebellion.

I suppose if the Ghost went down at Scarif and they were all stuck on a deserted island somewhere, that would be a reason for them to not be at the Battle of Yavin --- worse yet, what if they're captured by the Imperials? Season 5 could be interesting .....

15. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    After that part happend I essentially did a double take and asked "Wait, did she just call him "love"?"

It was a nice little character moment and pretty much confirms they are more than just friends (unless it was meant as an purely affectionate thing).

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  16. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Mmmmmmmm, I think you got to see Kanan going all in with the Rebellion. At the beginning of season 2, he did not want to be in another war. But by the end of season 3, he has to defend his position on fighting with the Rebellion to Bendu.

But with the Ghost crew at Yavin ...... they are bumping right up next to ANH. For example, even if their role ends at Scarif, Luke is going to find out that there used to be a couple Jedi at Yavin .... unless they go completely crazy and have them overlap and Luke actually meets Kanan and Ezra. All we know for sure is that Luke is the last Jedi by RotJ. And we don't see them in TESB. Whatever, happens, Phoenix squadron is going to be much less prominent at Yavin which is the much larger part of the Rebellion.

I suppose if the Ghost went down at Scarif and they were all stuck on a deserted island somewhere, that would be a reason for them to not be at the Battle of Yavin --- worse yet, what if they're captured by the Imperials? Season 5 could be interesting .....

17. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Honestly? I think the Ghost Crew not only survives Scarif, but they might be at Yavin when the Death Star shows up. We know Ezra can fly a Y-Wing. Maybe he was flying the one Y-Wing that makes it back from the attack.

18. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    MandaloreRex2015 and Rennzwerg like this.
  19. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    The best moment in these two-part episodes was by far the Ezra and Kanan moment at the very beginning. Their conversation was so touching, and it was great to see how much those two appreciate and care about each other. Ezra has really grown to respect his mentor and Kanan’s judgement. I also like that Ezra doesn’t respect Kanan just because he’s a Jedi, but because Kanan is his role model for being a good person. We also learn from this conversation that being a good person is more important to Ezra than being a Jedi (which should go hand-in-hand, but unfortunately, isn’t always the case). The only sad thing about it was when Hera so heartlessly interrupted the conversation. =((

I liked when Hera sounded really scared when Kanan got trapped outside the shield; it was a nice touch to hear her genuinely freaked out that Kanan could’ve been killed. I almost wish he hadn’t been downed on his speeder (although he kind of had to, because it was practically raining laser bolts) because the sadistic side of me thinks it would have been funny to see him impact on that shield around Chopper Base on his speeder…since Hera forgot to tell him about it, and he can’t see. :p

Thrawn's plan to stop bombarding the shield deflector was silly. He should’ve stopped as soon as the shield was down, not before. I guess that would be because Tarkin wanted the rebels alive or something, but why would Tarkin order that? In the books, it seemed like Thrawn led operations that used resources and his men efficiently, with minimum damage and casualties. Letting the rebels have the upper hand with the shield so they could easily slaughter the invading Imperials seemed like a very poor use of resources, not at all like the Thrawn we get in the books.

I think Mart should have been mentioned in this episode. Actually, Iron Squadron seems pointless since they haven’t brought those kids back since the first and only episode they were in. When Sato died, there should have been more of a reaction. As is, it was sad to lose Sato, especially since he was the only family Mart had, but I’m glad that they killed him off to raise the tensions a little (even if it’s still not much). Personally, I think they should have used an episode or two in season 3 to develop the relationship between Ezra and Sato, since I feel like that would’ve made his death more meaningful and impactful.

Also, I’m glad that Konstantine is finally dead. Vader should have killed him way back in Siege of Lothal.

I didn’t like the Bendu turning into some sort of angry storm. For being one in the middle, he was quick to get riled up and take a side. I think it would have been more consistent with his character to just stay out of the fight.

I liked how the episode pretty much began with Kanan and Ezra (after a short prologue with the Imperials), and ended with them, since those two characters and the bond between them is the best part of the show, in my opinion.

20. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Kanan comes across as rather entitled and presumptuous when he asks Bendu for help.

"Can you feel it? My friends are dying."

"Help us survive Bendu. Help us fight!"

"So you're just going to let us die?"

"You'd rather hide. Like a coward."

Bendu doesn't owe the Rebels or Kanan anything. If anything, Kanan owes him for the various bits of advice and counsel he's given him. Instead, all Kanan does is demand assistance and when he's refused, proceeds to insult Bendu. Very mature for a Jedi Knight.

21. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    That's probably why Bendu proceeds to shoot plasma at anything that moves. It may have been Kanan's intent to provoke him as the Rebels had for all intents and purposes already lost the battle and needed to buy time for Ezra to return with friendlier reinforcements. Bendu did end up helping the Rebels survive in the end, even if his intent was not to aid one side or the other.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  22. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Interesting. I don't think I like Kanan deliberately trying to goad Bendu into fighting. That isn't the Jedi Way. Especially since it led to his death. But I suppose the majority of the blame can be placed on Bendu himself. His volatile temper caused him to lash out with violence. A calm individual would have just turned their back on Kanan and walked away.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Thrawn killed a Force God, he definitely deserved another medal for that one.

24. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    Technically, Thrawn's AT-AT's and Death Troopers killed Bendu. If anyone deserves a medal, it's the crews and soldiers, not their commander.

25. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I didn't think Bendu died.

...But if he did, surely he'd just come back as Peter Davison.