main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 3.21-3.22 - Zero Hour (Season Finale!!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Mar 22, 2017.

1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Tell that to the Imperials in the OT, who's definition of a "blockade" is "part our ships around the center of the planet, but then don't bother to cover any other directions.

2. bdh1138

bdh1138 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 24, 2015
    Very solid finale IMO. Not without some minor quibbles, but I thought it was handled well.

• Right off the bat, I was pleasantly surprised by the tension they built. I firmly believe none of the core cast will die until the series finale if they do at all, but even walking in with that outlook, they got me to buy into a sense of peril. The conversations between Kanan and Ezra and Rex and Zeb really left me feeling like somebody might not make it.
    • The battles were fantastic to watch, and I'm excited to see this team tackle Scarif someday.
    • I appreciate the fact that Thrawn's incomplete victory was not his fault, but a combination of rebels who will sacrifice themselves for a cause and are scrappy enough to seize any tiny window of hope never give up, as well as Imperial arrogance and a literal force of nature.
    • On the same note, I'm sure people will bemoan the incomplete victory as a failure, character assassination, too "kiddy", etc. but the broader rebellion just took a bigger hit than they did at Hoth and they looked pretty demoralized to me
    • Happy to see we won't be losing David Oyelowo quite yet
    • Also pleased we'll presumably get more Thrawn next season
    • I was surprised that we're headed to Yavin right away, but I guess we've never been told that it was Dodonna's cell that had an abandoned outpost on Dantooine
    • Seeing as Yavin was the central HQ for the Rebellion, I'm curious what familiar faces we'll see regularly in season 4. Mon Mothma? Cassian? Draven?
    Overall, I can't wait to see where we're headed in the future and what new teases will come out of celebration

3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Is it true that the episodes are already on apple tv?

4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That was pretty good. But the fact that you know none of the characters will die kills a bunch of it for me. There's no sense these characters are in danger. I'm getting worried that the OT will be contradicted by not killing off Kanan and Ezra.

Vialco likes this.
  5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I need to grade this episode...

*sobs quietly*

Guidman likes this.
  6. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Great, intense episode. Certainly one of the best of the series.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Yes but....

1. I do not recall them specifically stating anything to that effect/
    2.After Sato makes the sacrifice there is only one...so...just run your ships the opposite direction and get out of range of the interdictor by putting hte planet between you and them.

V-2 likes this.
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Anyone know when the UK gets the finale? Today was a rerun and the Sky EPG says next Sat is as well.

9. Justrec

Justrec Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 13, 2014
    Also, I'm disappointed with the Bendu. He's such a generic character

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

Probably the week after.

11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    So You know when they said the rebels would be taking a hit, I thought okay it will be like a Hoth-esque battle (ground and space battle), boy was I wrong as MOST of Phoenix Squadron and the Massassi group fleets were wiped out. Talk about taking a hit.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  12. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    mattman8907

Please tag you're spoilers until the episode airs on television tonight.

13. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    -Japanese man performing kamikaze LOLOLOL

-Capital ships are utterly useless. Literally just sit around and get shot to pieces while the fighters do all the work.

-Bendu ex Machina. Whatever, at least they did something interesting with him.

-TIEs are suddenly useful again, instantly blowing up huge portions of capital ships but still getting decimated by fighters.

-I'm so sick of the magical shields of the Ghost. Every other ship in the Rebel fleet is blown apart in seconds but the Ghost suffers no damage by TIEs, Bendu lightning, Star Destroyers etc.

-It only goes downhill for Thrawn from here, character writing wise perhaps.

-"Should we take prisoners?" "Nah, just bomb them dead."

I wish someone would just be smart enough already to do this.

-Congrats, Kallus lived! Now he'll be as relevant as Zeb and Rex.

Swashbucklingjedi, missile and fett 4 like this.
  14. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000

Yes it is. I was surprised too.

15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    After seeing it, my opinion post about the spoilers is pretty much the same. Some fun if emotionless action scenes, good animation and ( with the exception of Ezra) some great voice work. But it's all bland fair. You can say a McDonald's is a great meal until the cows come home but it doesn't make it good. That is pretty much What Rebels is.

Certainly nothing to make me want to watch S4 like the promise of S2 finale for S3 but then given that went no where may be that's not a problem.

16. DarknessoftheUnkown

DarknessoftheUnkown Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2017
    I was finally happy that the Thrawn Pincer from legends was used.

TheMechanical0ne likes this.
  17. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Regarding General Dodonna. I'm glad they brought him into rebels but regarding the voice actor Michael Bell, I really wish they would've used Rogue One actor Ian McElhinney back for these episodes cause Bell makes Dodonna sound way older than he actually is.

18. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    The voice acting is amazing on Thrawn,
    but this was the episode where he should have really left a mark on the main heroes. He just is no where near what the now legends Grand Admiral, Zahn wrote. Disappointing.[/spolier]

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  19. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    It's still annoying for me how Kanan can cut the AT-AT legs that easily. I know it's another AT-AT type but it still triggers me very hard.

Taylore and TheMechanical0ne like this.
  20. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    That scene where Legends Thrawn murdered [insert literally any important character here] still traumatizes me to this day.

21. SeparatistFan

SeparatistFan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2012
    Well the finale was good, but only good not great.

It feels like Thrawn is only a competent villain on Rebels (not a the menacing genius he should be), but considering nearly all of the Imperials on this series are so unbelievably useless it is a big deal having an Imperial Officer that is actually competent.

Hopefully Thrawn's encounter with the Bendu will leave him disturbed/intrigued enough to start focusing his efforts on the force/super natural side of the threat.

I think it would be a good idea for Thrawn to become rare on the series now like Vader and just be used for very important situations.

Nice to have a few somewhat important deaths, but none of these characters were really given enough screen time/development so that we could care for them.

On another note I thought Bo Katan was supposed to be showing up this season, maybe I got it muddled up and she was instead just confirmed to appear on Rebels, not Rebels Season 3.

Vialco likes this.
  22. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Vader's ISD shreds rebel vessels in Rogue One in much the same way. A ship like that with concentrated fire and good gunnery crews probably will show why those sorts of ships are meant to be feared.

23. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    IMO that scene in RO is also an issue, since it doesn't line up with what we saw previously. I'd have much preferred it if Thrawn had defeated the Rebel fleet based on some crazy smart tactics vs shredding ships. Previously, the Rebel ships had pretty good shields which helped balance out the Empire, which had more volume they could throw at things.

24. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    This was such a lackluster finale. Nothing about it really stood out to me as interesting or special. A far cry from the Season Two Finale which had me on the edge of my seat. All in all a rather boring end to a rather boring season. I'm really hoping for more from Season Four.

25. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    I'm not normally one to sit here and say that
    main characters need to die every single week, but this time felt very weird. Kanan seemed to be telegraphing an impending mentor death at several points - including the incredibly unsubtle scene where he says Ezra doesn't need him anymore - then enrages the Bendu who continues to bellow his name and aim for him personally, and then...nothing? Ultimately nothing happens to him and the big scary dark side Bendu kills absolutely nobody we care about, so it all turns out weirdly unsatisfying for both characters; dark Bendu looks pretty and all but he's not scary. He's just a special effect with no real presence as a character, and then Thrawn put a blaster bolt through his eye.

That said I did like the exchange about how you flat out cannot be "in the middle" as a Force user and be any kind of hero, or anything other than someone who ultimately just does nothing and contributes nothing. That "new grey Jedi" stuff the fans want is never happening. Kanan rejected that worldview completely. As he should.