main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 4.01-4.02 - Heroes of Mandalore - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Apr 15, 2017.

1. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I'd like to watch it. It's already far past my bedtime for a school night.
    But if I can't find a live stream soon I'll shut down and try to get at it tomorrow afternoon.

2. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Watching it live, first time ever. These commercials are infuriating.

Zer0, DarthBreezy and cwustudent like this.
  3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I reciprocate the feelings towards the commercials. Cool premier, but with all the talk about the Emperor I thought we might have gotten a cameo at the end like with season 2. Lots of good moments in this premier with some good and some cringeworthy humor.

4. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    This was okay, too similar to S3 though, wonder why they can't hit that Season 2 high, did Rex, Vader and Ahsoka have that much of an effect on this show? Katee Sackhoff out acting everyone easily was such a highlight of the episode, we need more of Bo Katan, one way or another.

I'll put some of my thoughts in spoilers, because I'm sure most people didn't see it at this awkward time.
    Pros:
    -animation continues to improve, very crisp
    -Katee Sackhoff
    -fight choregraphy
    -ending with the Darksaber being given to Bo-Katan was brilliantly done, from the animation to the clans coming together to the voice acting
    -Thawn's appearance was short but done well
    -Vanessa Marshall and Freddie Prinze have such good chemistry

Cons
    -opportunity of a dark two parter wasted
    -awful Ezra dialogue and actions continue, we don't need that jetpack jokes throughout the 2 parter while people are getting incinerated
    -not killing off Sabine's mother and brother was a lost opportunity to have the audience feel a little something, I have no connection to the two characters but all we saw get killed were red shirts with copy and paste paint jobs, and it is a bit ridiculous that those 2 are the only survivors, this show still doesn't take the risks that TCW did
    -didn't lose anyone of importance, Rau or like said above, Sabine's mother and/or brother would of been worthy sacrifices, you don't always have to kill someone to push the narrative but this would of helped
    -I don't feel anything for the characters of Sabine and Ezra
    -felt too much like S3 than S2

5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Felt slightly disappointing mainly just because we know that this is the beginning of the final season. I agree that they could have kept those bigger deaths in and it would have made the episode seem a lot more grittier. But oh well. Still a pretty enjoyable episode to watch.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  6. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    A mixed bag for myself regarding both episodes. I like the darker moments such as when the Mandolorians were vaporized or the "death" of Sabine's mother and brother but it was undercut by Ezra bumbling about with his jet pack, too much unnecessary dialogue, and not actually going through with killing Sabine's mother and brother. Every time they built up a dramatic moment or tension it would quickly be drained. Also why didn't Kanan and Ezra take out the walkers so much sooner? Based on past episodes they should have taking those down rather quickly. The consistency with Ezra is all over the place. Sometimes he shows great skill in combat and his growth as a Jedi is very impressive. Other times he can't work a jet pack.
    Overall they were OK but they never really delivered on the dramatic stakes they were aiming for. For a show entering the home stretch these should have been much stronger episodes.

7. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Like others have said it feels like more of the same. I enjoy rebels for the most part but it is disappointing when it cops out on dramatic tension, Ezra's characterisation not being consistent, jokes at innapropriate moments and thinking they can get away with it by
    an admittedly great ending with uniting Mandalore and another destroyed...destroyer

I am going to enjoy this last season but also excited for the next animated program and hopefully a more tonally consistent series.

cwustudent likes this.
  8. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    I felt it was pretty solid. Its hard to beat Darth Vader and Ahsoka Tano. They have an emotional "History" connected to the Fans. Mandalore doesnt have that, yet.

And thats the big point for me: Where do they heading the Mandalore Story? I think this last season hasnt the room to show this properly... A own Mando Series, a Anthology Film?

For me i trying to remember me, that LFL and Filoni can deliver great Stuff, with time to envolve Things and pations from the Fans (see Ahsoka Tano).

9. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I liked these episodes more each time I watched them for my recap, but can't decide when set my article live ... I guess I'll hold it until after the 9 p.m. airing.

10. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    after watching these episodes I really wanna see what happens to mandalore and their civil war.

11. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    It's hard to know if we'll get more Mandalore in Rebels, but I'm sure we'll find out about it in some form. Personally, I want to Dave Filoni to direct a Siege of Mandalore animated movie!

cwustudent and Graphic like this.
  12. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    so on the timeline scale where are we thinking the events of season four take place? me im thinking on the later half of 1 BBY.

13. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I loved the premiere. I see where people are coming from with the complaints, but I didn't mind them. The show won't totally shift its tone, so I'm not expecting some dark, brooding things. Just to see these characters I've grown to love having one last season of adventures is enough to satisfy me. And getting a new SW story each week also is reward enough.

Grievousdude and Graphic like this.
  14. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    There's a bit of a tonal problem with these premiere episodes, Jar Jar Binks level visual slapstick one minute then apocolyptic death the next. And goodness me, can't anyone actually hit anything with their blasters anymore? The battles become boring after a while because they're just a light and noise show, only this time with lots of flying around. It'd be fine if characters were in cover and there was distance between the combatants, but most of the time it feels like they're just standing about 12 feet away from each other.

Then you have a moment between Kanan and Hera which is just great, proving that this show can be brilliant. It's frustrating.

15. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I liked it even if I'm still not the biggest fans of Mandalorians.
    Too bad most of the actions were outside of Sundari which is clearly due to a lack of budget. Ezra's purpose in this arc was to be the comic relief with his multiple failed attempts at using a jetpack. I thought I wouldn't like the first episode ending with the seemingly deaths of Sabine's mother and brother and then right after the second episode started then we discover they somehow escaped but I guess the trailer already "spoiled" her survival? And we didn't see their death so I guess it's the "if there is no bodies then they're not dead" rule and I liked the little we saw of Sabine's father anyway. Kanan and Hera's conversation, I thought Kanan was over wanting to leave the rebellion in season 2 but I guess not. Sabine named her weapon after Satine, nice touch and I really liked all the Satine's mentions (mostly by Bo-Katan). Also, more info on the Siege of Mandalore. Sabine's dilema at the end about choosing between honor or cowardice was ok, though I was surprised it was Bo-Katan who convinced her, I guess she mellowed after all these years, she doesn't seem so "extreme" anymore. Trailer totally spoiled Bo-Katan being the leader because if we watch these two episodes and the Sabine centric episode in season 3, some would think Sabine would become the leader but no.
    Overall good premiere, not the best though. And at least characters didn't stand in awe before mandalorians awesomeness (beside Ezra anyway), telling us how perfect they are. That was a good point.
    7/10

16. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I noticed a lot of the jokes were between Ezra and Sabine so that makes me wonder if Filoni is trying to set up a future romance between those two (show them flirting a little now so when a romance does start it won't be coming out of left field).

17. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    A girl and boy can't share jokes without being romantically involved? The sibling relationship works better for them, IMO.

silvereyed likes this.
  18. CloneofVader

CloneofVader Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 5, 2016
    Mediocre episode.
    + Kanan\Hera scene
    + Some decent visual
    - Boring battle scenes
    - Dumb Villain
    - Annoying jokes
    - Tristan and Ursa plot armor[face_shame_on_you]
    6.5\10

19. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    It's my least favourite from all seasons premieres.
    I liked Kanan and Hera moment, it was so brilliantly played by VA.
    And I liked Thrawn a lot, even in just one scene
    I felt he asked for capturing Sabine because he knew she would destroy the weapon. He didn't want the weapon to success because it was supposed to destroy Mandalorian armor - their heritage and art. And it also had a nice ring to the Batonn scenes in the book - Thrawn is not a fan of many casualties (especially innocent people)

JH24 and DarthBreezy like this.
  20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Commercials, commercials and MORE DAMNED COMMERCIALS! :mad:
    Hera/Kanan [face_love] but Goddess woman! :oops: 'General Hera' indeed...
    I actually liked Ezra and his jetpack failures, and I really don't care for Sabine's father. He could have been Vaped and I would have been fine.
    Yeah, Tristan and Ursa - sure OK.
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOPER VILLIAN [face_plain]
    Chop gave up a gun???
    Sabine +1
    Kanan [face_love] +1

8/10

21. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    I liked it.

My only real complaint is the massive plot armor that saved Ursa and Triston.

Otherwise it was a pretty cool Mando centric episode.

22. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Funniest part about Sabine's dad was when he was all, "The Mandalorian armor is our heritage," while wearing a fancy robe and probably doesn't even own a set of armor.

Poke-Artist, DarthBreezy and KikReask like this.
  23. JH24

JH24 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    It was a nice premiere, but it felt more like a continuation of season 3 than anything. I would actually rate it higher if it had been a part of season 3.

I like how Ezra was his old self in this episode, but his jetpack failures... Seriously? You go into battle without getting used to your jetpack? It's so Ezra.

Seeing Thrawn was a nice moment. As well as the scene between Kanan and Hera.

They go out of their way not to kill Imperials. Yet in the end that Star Destroyer blows up... I can only imagine how many Imperials died there.

cwustudent likes this.
  24. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    It was a pretty good season opener. Bo-Katan is just awesome here as she was in TCW and her character is a lot more fleshed out here.

Ezra's humour is still unnecessary but was funny at times.

The Kanan and Hera scene was the highlight for me though. I've never really given much thought to their relationship before but now I want them to get together. At the same time though I can tell something is going to happen Kanan so I'm dreading it too if that makes sense.

Also was I the only one who thought that the Imperials all being hit by the electricity at the end was similar to the opening of the Ark at the end of Raiders? I think it might have been intentional.

25. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    Watched it last night and enjoyed it, but it didn't feel much like a season premiere and more a continuation of Season 3. (I'm guessing next week's two-parter will fill that role). The fight choreography was good, but I think sparing Ursa and Tristan was a wasted opportunity.

It's amusing to see that Tiber Saxon is more of an Imperial sycophant than Gar was (at least Gar had a pretense of upholding Mandalorian tradition, as warped as his version was). And it's interesting to see how a weapon that specifically targets Mandalorians works... and it's probably one of the most grisly deaths to come out of this series (it targets the alloy in their armor - which they have a cultural attachment to - and turns it into a body oven before it disintegrates them). And nice to dark moment from Sabine over the death of the rest of her family sans Ursa, Tristan and her dad by trying to torture the Imperials to death with the Duchess.

And it also looks like Satine's rule was partially vindicated in Bo-Katan's eyes over the years.

I also wonder if the attempt to replicate the Duchess will lead to any further Mandalorian dissent against the Empire, especially from the Imperial Supercommandos. That Imperial Supercommando captain was plenty unsettled by it.