main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Rebels 4.01-4.02 - Heroes of Mandalore - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Apr 15, 2017.

1. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016

Are you really that salty over five episode of four seasons? Is that really too much for a very large portion of the fandom to have, considering we would likely not have gotten it elsewhere?

MandoArtist likes this.
  2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I don't care if it's possible. It's done and gone. I want new things that are good.

silvereyed and redxavier like this.
  3. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    And considering one of the main characters is a Mandalorian and therefore having a Mandalorian arc at some point was completely feasible and logical.

"Sabine is such a Mary Sue. She needs development, or to die".
    "Okay, have an Mandalorian arc decdicated to her development after 2.5 seasons of nothing for them".
    "Lol what a waste"

:/

Vinylshadow likes this.
  4. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    No, I don't.

And to make matters worse, there are those people who tell Clone Wars fans that Rebels is better, and they're just butthurt because we don't agree. I'm one of the managers of the CWA emulator, we get that type of hate
    mail all the time. It's funny until a grown man aprox 30 years old, tells a teenager (me), that I'm wrong in my opinion (and keep in mind that this happened in person).

5. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    People have strong opinions. TCW fans have gotten upset at me for thinking Rebels is better. Like you, I'm just a poor little teenager...

That's quite strange, because in all my browsing of Star Wars communities, the hate for Rebels by TCW fans is much more vocal than vice versa. No one actually hates on TCW from what I see, it's the next best thing since sliced Uj cake apparently.

But debates on Rebels VS TCW aren't allowed on this forum. So I'm dropping it.

6. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    I was a loyal viewer of Clone Wars since I was 6. I made lifelong friends because of that show. I bought tons of spin-off comics, books, and action figures. Then just like that, already after a teaser for season 6. It was axed.
    5 years of great storytelling and character, killed unceremoniously.

I'm sure if you were that attached to Rebels, and it just ended, you would feel the same way.

If you click the link on my signature, I've explained it in depth.

fives_is_alive likes this.
  7. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    Sure, I also grew up with TCW. It's a great show and it's sad it's gone. But I still like Rebels too.

Vinylshadow likes this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

Episodes. Discuss. Business. Go about.

9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    This wasn't a bad two parter, but it was a bit less than it could be. The strongest single episode of this arc was Trials of the Darksaber, because that maxed out its potential as a character study. In contrast, this episode feels lighter than it should, especially as a two parter. They also still don't tackle some of the character drama you know should be under the service; Bo Katan isn't some sainted leader, and even if her development towards that archetype was supposed to be in the Siege of Mandalore, we need that here, if for no other reason than Bo showing empathy towards Sabine making mistakes should be a central part of their interactions.

And you can tell that as talented and skilled as the Rebels creative team is, when it comes to characterization arcs, their more *adequate* than exemplary. Ezra having issues with his jetpack is entertaining, but they hold to that idea and mock it just a bit too long; especially for a character who's had some major focus across three seasons prior to this. This show falls back perhaps a bit too much on classic and generic archetypal portrayal, and that kind of middling approach to serialized storytelling does feel inconsistent. You can still tell there was a slight dip in characterization quality after Season One, when Greg Weismann moved on.

Still, this was fun, and I can't wait to learn more, hopefully, the Mandos aren't sealed off from any major appearances outside of cartoons. There's a wealth of potential here.

10. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    Does everyone forget that Bo-Katan tried to help slaughter at least one village of natives... (cause it doesn't matter if they're not Mandalorians) in the clone wars... she's not the golden leader she appears to be.
    Also, she first refused the position of leader of Mandalore in the first episode yet it seemed far too quick by the end of the two parter for her to suddenly switch sides.
    I find it too a bit dumb and hypocritical that she wouldn't use the weapon against the fight against the empire... something like that could be gold to resistance cells (although I'd see why Mothma's wouldn't use it.
    It seems I'm droning on about her hypocrisies^

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  11. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

Well that's been something I've been suggesting all along. Getting a little off-topic, but
    I've always been under the impression that Rey had Kenobi blood in her; and if you think about it it's not too farfetched to consider the possibility that Obi-Wan fathered a child with Satine, who was cast off in obscurity through the end of the Clone Wars and even through the end of the Empire, only to reemerge as Luke's partner (though she'd probably be a few years older than him; but that didn't stop his father). The only thing in question would be why Luke himself wouldn't have known he had a daughter (or at least sensed her when she met him at the end of TFA)

Well in the memorable "Lawless" episode of TCW, Bo-Katan was pretty much reconciled with the Mandalorians upon the death of her sister; even so much so as helping Kenobi fight the Death Watch.

Rogue Seven likes this.
  12. bdh1138

bdh1138 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 24, 2015

I posted about this a couple pages ago, but I think the show did a good job of implying the change without bogging down the narrative for people who aren't familiar with TCW. IMO it would've felt like a waste of time, and probably awkwardly crammed in, to what spell out the type of person she was before almost 20 years of growth and self reflection made her who she is in the present story. My original thoughts:

Snafu55 and TheMDOSS1313 like this.
  13. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I didn't connect with this episode at all. Partly my fault, because I've never really liked Mandalorian storylines anyway, apart from a couple of episodes of TCW and Rebels... I even care more for Zeb and his people (and their vanished storyline) than for Sabine and her family.

I wish the focus was back on Ezra, Kanan, Hera, Kallus (my favourite Rebels character now) and the Rebellion. I suppose we'll get to that, but after the fantastic Season 2 opening and ending, and the great Season 3 opening, I was disappointed by this two-parter.

What I liked:
    - the sinister Imperial plot surrounding Sabine's weapon,

What I didn't:
    - I'm not sure why, but this episode in particular looked cheap to me...
    - I appreciate the producers' attempt to give Sabine her arc, but I just don't care
    - what's up with Ezra? He's been going downhill as a character since early Season 3, but now he almost reverted back to his Season 1 persona,
    - I was bored by the action, which is a shame, because Rebels usually does this right

It seems to me that LFL is concentrating more on future content than elevating Rebels to a late-TCW storytelling level.

SilentGuy66, DarthUncle and Snafu55 like this.
  14. Rogue Seven

Rogue Seven Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    If you can find me a famous historical leader who won their throne/seat/position to lead a united peoples through military prowess, who is perfect and unmarred by some sort of brutal strife towards someone(s) in their history...I'll eat my hat.

Off the top of my head, Julius Cesar, Ghengis Khan, Ieyasu Tokugawa all had histories of sometimes brutal oppression of those that opposed them. They made for great leaders...but great leaders are rarely "golden".

15. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I kept expecting Bo-Katan to bring up the fact that the darksaber was the weapon that killed her sister.

16. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015

Gandhi? Nelson Mandela? Both great leaders with much peace in their movements...

17. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    I thought there were many interesting many concepts presented here, but the way it was told felt rather flat, cheap and rushed. It would have probably been better if they had just took their time to let the drama sink in (and not opting out of it) and took the necessary episodes to develop the story in an organic way that led to them earning their victory and Bo-Katan inheriting the darksaber in way that felt deserving, and in not a “she’s a fan favorite anyway” type of way as it was told. I’m not even a fan of Sabine, but Sabine earned that saber a lot more that Conveniently Whitewashed Bo-Katan did.

Also, Ezra. Ugh.

There were some highlights though:

- Hera and Kanan’s conversation.
    - Thrawn felt appropriately evil as well as in-character
    - The way they saved Sabine’s father was rather creative.
    - Sabine naming her weapon “The Duchess” and saying “it was a serious of bad decisions” made me laugh. Best line.

18. Rogue Seven

Rogue Seven Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Firstly, Ghandi is a leader who doesn't ascribe to the tenets of "uniting many peoples/tribes under one leader" via military prowess...so that's not a viable answer to my query, or example.

Secondly, Nelson Mandela was a great leader. But if you think his leadership position was won without strife aimed at others...you either weren't alive (or weren't paying attention) during Apartheid. He spent years as a revolutionary fighting against an entrenched regime gov't bent on keeping his people down under heel. Imagining he came out of that clean, is a pipe dream. Make no mistake...he was a GREAT man...and a phenomenal leader and one who often in his life sought peace...but that leadership came after years of strife, war, and imprisonment.

Any others?

Look, I'm sure you can cherry pick out one or two actual examples that might on the surface appear to derail my point...but the vast majority of instances in the history of civilization....many tribes/peoples being united under one leader...has come at the head of strife and struggle, and the person who owns that, is the leader who ends up with the moniker of "great".

A few more examples.

Alfred of Wessex (Alfred The Great), Zenobia of Palmyrene (Syria), Hannibal, Scipio Africanus, Alexander (The Great), Cyrus (Persia), Alaric (Visigoths), Vercingetorix (Gaulic Celts)...

The list keeps going. All of these are considered history's GREAT leaders (and generals from a military POV), all of whom united peoples...but that all comes with bloodshed.

Snafu55 likes this.
  19. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...?

revan772 likes this.
  20. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    I think you are assuming the wrong definition of the word.

Jesta', TheMDOSS1313 and Outsourced like this.
  21. MandoArtist

Nov 12, 2015
    I see.

22. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    So I watched the episodes too:

Things I liked:

- Bo-Katan as Mandalore (and especially not Sabine).
    - Seeing Mandalore outside of the capital city.
    - A little bit of Mandalorian Lore.
    - The idea of the super weapon is creative.
    - The Star Destroyer outside of the capital looked cool.
    - Stormtroopers and Mandalorians fight together.

Things I didn't liked:

- Ezra (all of his "funny" scenes were unnecessary).
    - Sabine's mother and brother surivived the super weapon (would really make a deep scene if Sabine's weapon would have killed her mother and brother).
    - No clear answer what happens to Mandalore during the OT.

Question: Is there a reason why Saxon called Thrawn? I mean wouldn't he call Tarkin or someone like that in this scenario? IDK...

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  23. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I take it as a sign of Thrawn's place as a patron of major research projects that stand to increase the Empire's conventional arsenal; a tank sized mobile weapon that only attacks a specific target type is more along the lines of the TIE Defender in applicability to combat than the Death Star. Tarkin (and Krennic) are looking for ostentatious super weapons designed arguably more to intimidate others into total submission, rather than a practical tool of war. Notice how Thrawn's feedback and orders all center on making the weapon more practical and analyzing its potential strategic effects, even possible negative ones.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I liked it, but I am very disappointed that Tristan and Ursa lived when that was such a cop-out. Also by this point is Bo around 60?

25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    We never got her real age in Clone Wars; her sister is Kenobi's peer, but that could make her only a few years younger or well over a decade younger. If she was 30ish around the Clone Wars, she's in her 50's now.

I also love the new Clan Vizsla redesign. They've exchanged the shriek hawk for what looks like a piece full flower... On a skull and skeleton paint job.